This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

7 minutes ago, CBC said:

the original yes :jonny5:

the original was a SMASH hit not just a cute hit! :clap: 

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

Don't wanna do this without you, don't wanna do this if you're locked away in my mind

10fenEs.png

Technically it’s two in a row for Rina Sawayama; the penultimate track of Hold The Girl, “Phantom” is out at #49. We have made it out of the 5 averaging territory as it just manages to scrape past 6.000.  The promo single details Rina’s struggles with being a people pleaser throughout her life and always conforming to what others wanted of her. She says that the chorus represents her “mourning the loss of my real self”. The instrumental is dramatic, with soaring guitars that elevate Rina’s incredible vocal performance. @supaspaz seems to disagree with this however: “Something about that guitar and that chorus almost makes it work”. @Ewan Chaos says he thinks it’s a “GORGEOUS song” and that “the Disney Channel leapt out (complementary)”. :cute:

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Sanguine

10 - halcyonday

10 - NewStanner

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

1 - Born to Run

STOP

WITH ME

LEAVE HTG ALONE

1057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d31057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d3

1057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d31057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d3

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

the original was a SMASH hit not just a cute hit! :clap: 

eggxactly :WAP:

Just now, NewStanner said:

ENOUGH, how did this masterpiece leave the rate before Beach freaking House, the lack of taste is genuinely worrying

AbU8Bss.gif

Because Beach House is a camp masterpiece 

AbU8Bss.gif

Meanwhile Rina's disney knock off ballads are sleep inducing

• Like 3

• ATRL Moderator

Phantom is cute.  I wouldn’t mind it going out but a few other songs need to leave over it. 

i love Phantom for the record I gave it 9.50. It started off doing way better in the rate and would have placed way higher if we only got like 10 ballots :mandown:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewStanner said:

It's legit problematic at this point, now I don't feel bad for panning Carly Rae Overrated anymore, if anything I wish I panned ha more

1057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d3

the amount of sabotage I will put in work for the next rate I swear

AbU8Bss.gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greento said:

i love Phantom for the record I gave it 9.50. It started off doing way better in the rate and would have placed way higher if we only got like 10 ballots :mandown:

get rid of the trolls

AbU8Bss.gif

Phantom was one of my higher ranks on Rina's album...

still only a 6.5 though. :sorry:

1057384969_destroya(1)(1).thumb.gif.b6d3 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, greento said:

Is it too late to bribe you to adjust the rate in Rina's favor a little? :eli:

21 minutes ago, greento said:

Put your lips on my lips, I'll remember your kiss on the nights when I miss you

S00Gi5G.png

Kicking off this set is the collaboration between two artists who both have albums in this rate, “Beg for You”. Charli XCX and Rina Sawayama team up on this single to produce what is arguably one of the most lacklustre songs of each of their discographies. The song samples September’s iconic hit “Cry for You” yet neither Charli nor Rina manage to add anything of value to the song. A collaboration between two of the most exciting women in pop music could and should have been so much more and for that reason alone, it received my 0. Many ATRLers agreed that the song was a let-down: @cockatoo moaned “Charli's vocals are so bad on this. A great example of a sample that ruined the original song” and @beomgyu questioned “how did two of the most interesting artists in modern pop music come together and make the most boring and chewed out single of both their careers?”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Matthew4815

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Sanguine

1 - Born to Run

1 - cockatoo

0 - @greento

0 - @beomgyu

8 minutes ago, greento said:

Don't wanna do this without you, don't wanna do this if you're locked away in my mind

10fenEs.png

Technically it’s two in a row for Rina Sawayama; the penultimate track of Hold The Girl, “Phantom” is out at #49. We have made it out of the 5 averaging territory as it just manages to scrape past 6.000.  The promo single details Rina’s struggles with being a people pleaser throughout her life and always conforming to what others wanted of her. She says that the chorus represents her “mourning the loss of my real self”. The instrumental is dramatic, with soaring guitars that elevate Rina’s incredible vocal performance. @supaspaz seems to disagree with this however: “Something about that guitar and that chorus almost makes it work”. @Ewan Chaos says he thinks it’s a “GORGEOUS song” and that “the Disney Channel leapt out (complementary)”. :cute:

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Sanguine

10 - halcyonday

10 - NewStanner

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

1 - Born to Run

Unlistenable.

ezgif.com-resize(3).thumb.gif.b743ca6ef9

Carly Raevolution Jepsen still in. Yep yap.

spacer.png

I already know I'm letting go of something sacred, drive us off the road, I take a good thing and I break it

vlOLmiJ.png

At #48, CRASH takes another blow with “Move Me” departing. This melancholic track gear shifts the album into its first real emotional moment. In the song, Charli recalls an old relationship in which she would always seem to push away her partner despite him always holding her down. The quiet verses contrast the louder, almost aggressive chorus. Two ATRLers picked up on the fact that the song was originally intended for Halsey: @Ewan Chaos says “Incredibly overhated! Though when she said this was a song pitched to Halsey, I kinda started to hate it.” and @SLIME agrees, “The Halsey-fication of Charli XCX... it's not all bad, I like the drums, but overall one of her most boring songs.” For a song with no haters, it placed surprisingly low. I guess the lack of haters was mirrored by the lack of lovers, with mine being the only score of 10 or above.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - greento

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Edited by greento

Okay, I am constantly giving rightful points and not sabotaging

but yall are pushing it with that Carly girl

in the process of making me into a villian rn

• Like 2

the rate takes an interesting turn next... :duca: certain ones of you will be very pleased

Oops not me accidentally sending you a typo comment nn I meant to say overHATED but the fact that it wasn't one of her first songs out means perhaps it's not. A grower. BUT not mad about it being out!

Edited by Ewan Chaos

• ATRL Moderator

I thought move me was already out lol.  It’s a good song.  

Just now, Ewan Chaos said:

Oops not me accidentally sending you a typo comment nn I meant to say overHATED but the fact that it wasn't one of her first songs out means perhaps it's not. A grower. BUT not mad about it being out!

edited it for you :heart:

• Thanks 1

Just tell me you need me side by side, the sweetest words of my whole life

VUbq5W5.png

Carly Rae Jepsen finally takes her first loss (to the delight of some and to the dismay of other more tasteful users) with “Far Away”. The song depicts a breakup in which Carly realises she was the one to mess up, she explains that it was “it was nice to be the one who was humbled and to see that I messed up, and try out a song where I wrote from the bad perspective”. The song is cute and has nice production but it fails to stand out as anything special among the other tracks on The Loneliest Time. @supaspaz shows his love for the song “So many good lines – starting with “First, I just imagined all your qualities and that's my fault” – underpinned by a subtly sweet soundscape.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - supaspaz

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.