Did Taylor just redefine what "imperial phase" means?

alestevens

10 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Culturally the tour alone is the biggest event I’ve ever seen, there is a Taylormania similar to Britney’s commercial peak with Taylor. Britney was the biggest I’ve seen before seeing Taylor in 2023. In 1989 she was not even close to her celebrity/demand right now.

In the industry she has influenced newer acts like Olivia( even if she hates her right now) she was following her blueprint at first. We will see more acts in the next few years, Taylor is still young and relevant so her impact will be shown more once she really slows down.

She has outlasted Britney for obvious reasons, but Britney has iconic hits and moments in that short time though, Taylor has not imo. There is still time I guess 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collin

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, collin said:

Who says Janet doesn’t have impact? She influenced Britney and Beyonce to an umpteenth degree. :rip: Taylor influenced… Olivia Rodrigo? :rip: 

There are people all over this site who will claim that, and it is untrue. 

To refute your other point though,

1) impact is not only measurable by its significance to one or two massive individuals thereafter (& even if it were, you attempting to diminish Olivia who has literally only one album out but still smashed with it & earned multiple global hits is kind of vindictive considering, while not at the same level, she is pretty much what Britney was — a teenage homage to the biggest women in pop music she grew up with. If Britney was a testament to Madonna & Janet’s legacy, then Olivia is just -additional- proof of Taylor’s, among many more in present day and future come.)

2) Taylor’s biggest impact of all has been the conversations she creates as a massive superstar around artist’s rights.

a) She personally boycotted Spotify by removing her music from 2014 to 2017, effectively sacrificing the 1989 era in Europe to take a stand against how little Spotify was paying at the time.

b) She wrote an open letter to Apple Music shaming them for choosing not to pay artists’ during the first 3 month trial period of their service’s rollout (which they then rescinded, largely in part to her efforts, and decided to pay ALL artists, not just Taylor, the royalties they should’ve been allotted in the first place.

c) And lastly, by choosing to reclaim the catalogue of music she herself wrote but was not allowed the opportunity to purchase, and being so open, honest, and vulnerable about it, she has opened a dialogue that the public doesn’t often have. It has been had in the past due to Prince, The Beatles catalogue, and even Jojo, but Taylor is making such a spectacle of it that it can’t be ignored.

She’s forging music history right before our very eyes. No other artist has ever found success with re-recorded versions of albums to the extent that she has and that is going to be really meaningful for other artists in the future who want to reclaim work of theirs that is now owned by others. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peroxide said:

In 20/30 years time - yes, Taylor is going to be considered as big as MJ / The Beatles / Madonna. That is blatantly obvious :rip:

100%. The madness we're seeing over her in the US atm can only be compared to Beatlemania in the 60s and 80s Michael Jackson

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelter said:

She has outlasted Britney for obvious reasons, but Britney has iconic hits and moments in that short time though, Taylor has not imo. There is still time I guess 

I promise you no one outside of this site cares about Britney's "iconic hits" or "moments" in 2023 :sorry:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, collin said:

It does! There are many acts from the 20th century who also had consistent success for years like she does that aren’t being mentioned here, though. A lot of musicians have been able to do that, it’s not unique to her or something. :rip: 

Except no one has ever been able to do it to this level. It's quite literally unprecedented :rip: Taylor is peaking as we speak, 17 years into her career, 10 studio albums in. And as the OP stated, this is even more impressive because it's not just one album or one era causing her current pop culture domination, it's continuous interest into her entire career. She has a 2010 album being more listened to than any album by any other MPG. She has a 2019 album track making its way in the top 5 on streaming platforms in America. She has songs going viral every other month. Her musical dominance and legacy is absolutely undeniable and, yes, unique. 

1 hour ago, Peroxide said:

Look, I get some of you girlies are bitter about Taylor’s success but downplaying her accomplishments is just making you look dumb.

The numbers / stats / touring receipts are literally right there… you can’t argue with them.

Not being able to interpret data and instead letting your emotions get in the way are two of that Britney stan's specialties 

21 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

"two diamond albums!" isn't a musical legacy, just in case no one bothered to tell some of y'all that :gaycat4:

I mean if you’re going to say this then you’re basically admitting taylor — who doesn’t even have that — has no musical legacy either.

Anyway. Britney kickstarted an era of teenpop. taylor kickstarted…Olivia Rodrigo.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Music Industry said:

Except no one has ever been able to do it to this level. It's quite literally unprecedented :rip: Taylor is peaking as we speak, 17 years into her career, 10 studio albums in. And as the OP stated, this is even more impressive because it's not just one album or one era causing her current pop culture domination, it's continuous interest into her entire career. She has a 2010 album being more listened to than any album by any other MPG. She has a 2019 album track making its way in the top 5 on streaming platforms in America. She has songs going viral every other month. Her musical dominance and legacy is absolutely undeniable and, yes, unique. 

I agree that her current era does redefine how to discuss ‘imperial phases’ but I just need y’all to be serious, that’s all. Paragraphs about boycotting Spotify being her legacy are not helping. :rip: 

Just now, Sazare said:

I mean if you’re going to say this then you’re basically admitting taylor — who doesn’t even have that — has no musical legacy either.

Fearless is already certified diamond and 1989 is 12x Platinum eligible :deadbanana4: not to mention Red OG which is 9x Plat eligible :deadbanana4: 

mmm i would simply say this is just her second imperial phase but i feel like everyone loved 1989 and while the eras tour is doing amazing, the girls don't really love midnights the same way. 

1 minute ago, The Music Industry said:

Fearless is already certified diamond and 1989 is 12x Platinum eligible :deadbanana4: not to mention Red OG which is 9x Plat eligible :deadbanana4: 

So what you’re saying is that I am right and that my point still stands. Thank you.

• Thumbs Down 2

I would also say Nelly Furtado's imperial phase in 2006 felt more ubiquitous than Taylor today. Loose is basically the definitive pop album. A lot of girls were scared

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sazare said:

Anyway. Britney kickstarted an era of teenpop. taylor kickstarted…Olivia Rodrigo.

You missing the point of 17 years of massive success vs two diamond albums that said artist will continuously fail to live up too :zzz: 

7 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

I promise you no one outside of this site cares about Britney's "iconic hits" or "moments" in 2023 :sorry:

What are Taylor’s though? Can you tell us 

ATRL really loves to erase what older Popstars have done. It’s quite funny. 

Edited by Shelter

2 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

mmm i would simply say this is just her second imperial phase but i feel like everyone loved 1989 and while the eras tour is doing amazing, the girls don't really love midnights the same way. 

Midnights has crazy longevity. The GP clearly loves it :dies: 

9 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Moments? You think anyone other than the gays care about moments? 

7 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Kanye interruption was one, the kim battle/lwymmd video, she does have some cultural moments.

Infamous but still she has them

1 minute ago, collin said:

I agree that her current era does redefine how to discuss ‘imperial phases’ but I just need y’all to be serious, that’s all. Paragraphs about boycotting Spotify being her legacy are not helping. :rip: 

Her legacy goes well beyond that. I feel like people often still live in 2012 with the "no legacy/impact!!!!" arguments when it comes to Taylor :deadbanana2: 

I feel like we keep going in circles where we explain all of the things Taylor has done and influenced and y'all just ignore/try to minimize the significance to avoid further cognitive dissonance. So I'm just going to link you to this 10K-word Wiki article describing her cultural and musical impact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Taylor_Swift

Just now, Shelter said:

What are Taylor’s though? Can you tell us 

Pittsburgh becoming Swiftsburg, The Eras Tour being a massive event? :bird: Y'all try to derail Taylor having success not being enough while vicariously living in the late 90's will never not be funny :bibliahh:

Have you streamed SOTY today? For the Swifties: she wrote this song about a man being infuated by her. GREAT lyrics for the songwriting stans. Give it a stream!

4 minutes ago, collin said:

The Spotify boycott was just one piece of a much bigger puzzle. On its own it can be unimpressive but when you realize it’s a definitive catalyst in the building blocks of Taylor’s legacy as a champion for artists’ rights you’d understand.

1 minute ago, Raspberries said:

Midnights has crazy longevity. The GP clearly loves it :dies: 

i'm not saying its not a smash its just that i think 1989 era was on another level when it comes to commercial success and acclaim. midnights is huge but you can escape midnights in a way you could not with 1989

4 minutes ago, Sazare said:

So what you’re saying is that I am right and that my point still stands. Thank you.

No one said that but ok 

4 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Kanye interruption was one

I mean it’s pretty telling that your first example is something someone else did in her presence, and your other example is her beefing with a mentally ill person and his spouse :rip:

Edited by Sazare

Just now, Love Again said:

Have you streamed SOTY today? For the Swifties: she wrote this song about a man being infuated by her. GREAT lyrics for the songwriting stans. Give it a stream!

Sis you’re wasting your efforts, Higher Than Heaven is the superior dance pop album released this year you should be out here promoting THAT… D&D is definitely second best though :chick1:

Can’t wait for Taylor’s dance era since that seems to be what it takes for some of y’all to like an artist (not @ Love Again, @ others)