Did Taylor just redefine what "imperial phase" means?

alestevens

1 minute ago, wastedpotential said:

Not people trying to proclaim that Britney has a musical legacy when her career from 1999-2004 is basically just a rough copy of Janet Jackson stuck in the body of a white girl from Louisiana :deadbanana4:

"two diamond albums!" isn't a musical legacy, just in case no one bothered to tell some of y'all that :gaycat4:

Her legacy is being battered by fame. There is no denying this even if you do try to take away all of her other massive achievements.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collin

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, thetea said:

what would you say is her impact (cultural or not cultural) on the industry besides huge sales / streams? 

Culturally the tour alone is the biggest event I’ve ever seen, there is a Taylormania similar to Britney’s commercial peak with Taylor. Britney was the biggest I’ve seen before seeing Taylor in 2023. In 1989 she was not even close to her celebrity/demand right now.

In the industry she has influenced newer acts like Olivia( even if she hates her right now) she was following her blueprint at first. We will see more acts in the next few years, Taylor is still young and relevant so her impact will be shown more once she really slows down.

Just now, collin said:

Her legacy is being battered by fame. There is no denying this even if you do try to take away all of her other massive achievements.

But a musical legacy? She was copy-and-pasting what Kelis, Janet, Aaliyah, etc. were doing.

2 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Halsey, Olivia, Kelsea Ballerini, Maren Morris, can't think of more but know they exist. Troye Sivan, Niall Horan. 

None of these people are major artists, just so you know. :rip: 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, suburbannature said:

But a musical legacy? She was copy-and-pasting what Kelis, Janet, Aaliyah, etc. were doing.

I mean her music is not really her strongest legacy point. It’s her celebrity. Idk why she was brought up in here at all tbh, but saying she isn’t a legend with an imperial phase would be wrong.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, collin said:

People were proclaiming that 2 diamond albums makes a legacy, so surely Halsey's two diamond singles makes her a major artist :deadbanana4:

You don't need to be influential to be prominent or have a legacy. 

Just now, collin said:

Okay? Taylor's still very much in her prime so her influence on current artists should be happening right now because? 

Just now, wastedpotential said:

People were proclaiming that 2 diamond albums makes a legacy, so surely Halsey's two diamond singles makes her a major artist :deadbanana4:

Not really. :rip: And a diamond album is very objectively more impressive/important in most cases, don’t be dense.

Just now, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Okay? Taylor's still very much in her prime so her influence on current artists should be happening right now because? 

That’s possible. But she is kind of too bland/ordinary to have much of an impact. She has a distinct sound but it’s not unique, new, special. It’s normal and all-encompassing. This sounds like a drag but it’s not. It’s a strength and a weakness.

3 minutes ago, collin said:

How is Olivia Rodrigo not a “major artist”

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

You don't need to be influential to be prominent or have a legacy. 

Agree. And that is Taylor’s bag. 

Just now, Arrows said:

How is Olivia Rodrigo not a “major artist”

She is. The rest are not. 

17 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

People go absolutely crazy for her. That's real world impact. 

Just like they go crazy for McDonald’s. Doesn’t mean it’s healthy 

16 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

When people I'm this forum understand that "impact =/= shock factor" this site might just implode. 

Don’t know if this is directed at Madonna or Britney but either way it’s idiotic as you’re in this very forum stanning a woman both whom are here thanks greatly to Britney’s impact, needless to say madonnas.

10 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Britney has a legacy i will never deny that but why are they so bitter about Taylor obviously having a bigger, more respected legacy? Britney didnt even last 10 years into the music industry before already flopping and frontloading. What Taylor achieved with Midnights in 2022 would be the equivalent of Britney doing the same during Glory era. 

Again, it’s common knowledge Britney hasn’t handled her own career properly since 2004

10 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

This entire generation of artists is a result of the Taylor Swift effect. The whole relatable, down to earth, personal level artist is a result of Taylor. 

that’s thanks to Britney’s girl next door coming from nothing brand I- :deadbanana:

taylor came from riches

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

It’s embarrassing you have to ask this being a member in her pop music forum stanning a woman who claims she’s hear greatly in part thanks to Britney and literally made use of britneys go to max martin and joseph. google is your friend.

and same can be said for miss shania/lana lite 

Edited by dirrtydiana

If 17 years of consistent success doesn't define a legacy when the only other artists being mentioned at the same level are Madonna, The Beatles, MJ, Mariah, ect then i don't get it :toofunny2:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dirrtydiana said:

Don’t know if this is directed at Madonna or Britney but either way it’s idiotic as you’re in this very forum stanning a woman both whom are here thanks greatly to Britney’s impact, needless to say madonnas.

that’s thanks to Britney’s girl next door coming from nothing brand I- :deadbanana:

taylor came from riches

It’s embarrassing you have to ask this being a member in her pop music forum stanning a woman who claims she’s hear greatly in part thanks to Britney. google is your friend.

and same can be said for miss shania/lana lite 

I'm not trying to be shady - I just think Britney was more remembered for constructing the modern image of a pop star.

• Like 1

Just now, dirrtydiana said:

You CANNOT be a Britney Spears stan and use the cheap "McDonald's !1!!!!!1!" comeback. It just doesn't work :rip: Your fave's entire discography consists of microwaved demos prepared in writing camps and manufactured concepts developed by industry people. It doesn't get more basic than Britney Spears, and that's with her having next to no creative input in anything she does. Get some self-awareness :rip:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

Not at all. MJ, Madonna, Janet, Britney, the Beatles and so many more had imperial phases. She’s only taking advantage of the foundation laid before her and exploiting it with her many privileges. Only difference is her phase hallow and not warranted. It’s empty like her fans’ pockets afterwards because with the aforementioned, they left historical and cultural impact behind them. She’s the female version of Harry styles; both equivalent of biting into a burger and getting no patty, only bread.

You have GOT to stop lumping/sneaking Britney in with these names that all have shining legacies. You're only going to get her dragged more :rip: 

2 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

If 17 years of consistent success doesn't define a legacy when the only other artists being mentioned at the same level are Madonna, The Beatles, MJ, Mariah, ect then i don't get it :toofunny2:

Me and you both. 

I guess people who don’t like Taylor and/or her music wouldn’t want to see it that way when it literally is like that.

4 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

It does! There are many acts from the 20th century who also had consistent success for years like she does that aren’t being mentioned here, though. A lot of musicians have been able to do that, it’s not unique to her or something. :rip: 

2 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

That Kesha stan talking about impact :dies: 

:rip: Please don’t act 5.

1 hour ago, dirrtydiana said:

You just did. Eminem, Adele, add Ed Sheeran with the massive tour. Britney, nsync, bsb, Mariah, Celine, janet, all moved an insane amount of albums post MJ without the calculated tactics. She’s the it thing right now but she’ll never be bigger than beyonce who hasn’t moved as many units.

You are just throwing **** at the wall now. NSYNC, BSB and Britney lasted less than 10 years (and NSYNC had terrible stats outside of the US). And yes, she is also bigger than Beyoncé by a pretty large margin

Do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself in these threads?

3 minutes ago, collin said:

It does! There are many acts from the 20th century who also had consistent success for years like she does that aren’t being mentioned here, though. A lot of musicians have been able to do that, it’s not unique to her or something. :rip: 

None of them have been able to keep the level of success Taylor has. That's the point here.