Did Taylor just redefine what "imperial phase" means?

alestevens

6 minutes ago, byzantium said:

The fact that Madonna is the go to datapoint to compare really says something about how much do a legend Taylor is.  

madonna was the only one i chose to include, Whitney, Mariah, Beyonce, etc have also had massive success 15+ years into their career

in 2000 whitney released a hugely successful GH album while her 2 year old album was still on the top of the charts

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collin

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

Y’all really aren’t gonna get anywhere trying to convince people to admit Taylor is a rightful legend alongside music titans like MJ, Madonna, and the Beatles. They won’t accept it until 20 more years from now when she is still able to sell out stadiums and earn #1 albums (and even then there will probably be some new excuse :rip: )

Just let them cope and fume and say that “one day you’ll all see!!! she’s just the it girl of the moment!!!” as if she hasn’t been succeeding beyond her peers since 2008. Taylor IS longevity, consistency, and growth personified. 

Just now, thetea said:

what would you say is her impact (cultural or not cultural) on the industry besides huge sales / streams? 

People go absolutely crazy for her. That's real world impact. 

When people I'm this forum understand that "impact =/= shock factor" this site might just implode. 

1 minute ago, brenda-walsh said:

madonna was the only one i chose to include, Whitney, Mariah, Beyonce, etc have also had massive success 15+ years into their career

in 2000 whitney released a hugely successful GH album while her 2 year old album was still on the top of the charts

Again, fully serving my point. You keep listing legends. 

Just now, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Brandy, Monica & Aaliyah did everything Britney did before she debuted. 

they released back to back diamond certified albums, multiple era defining hits/ videos, iconic live performances, and set a blueprint for later popgirls to follow? i don't think so lol

1 minute ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Brandy, Monica & Aaliyah did everything Britney did before she debuted. 

What happened to Britney in the mid 2000s is the reason she is a legend. Her fame and what it did to her is what people will remember her for. And it’s an important story to tell. 

Just now, Badgalbriel said:

People go absolutely crazy for her. That's real world impact. 

She could’ve filled 900 stadiums in US. That alone says how much her music impact people in real life. 

Just now, byzantium said:

Again, fully serving my point. You keep listing legends. 

so she hasn't "redefined" the imperial phase then? which is what this thread is about 

Taylor is 100% a legend (or will clearly be when the right amount of years have passed). We can debate the reasons why all day, but to deny that is...

Oh how I'm looking forward to the meltdowns on this website when Taylor surpasses Madonna's career sales in the next 5 years :deadbanana4:

Taylor's imperial phase in and of itself isn't unique (though I would say that it is comparatively quite large and dominant), but as has been mentioned upthread, it is her consistency and her continued upward momentum that is groundbreaking and notable. This is Taylor's third stretch as the indisputable top pop star at a given point, and it's also her third decade of massive success. The only other female act with similar peaks across a similar time-frame was Madonna, and her career had far more downturns and low periods than Taylor's has faced. Even Taylor's "flop" era is about to get a smash hit, four years after the fact due in large part to her overwhelming career dominance, and that's not something that can be said about any other imperial phases. Unlike when Gaga or Britney peaked and then immediately sputtered out, or when Madonna or Mariah would revive from the dead for a smash album before falling back, Taylor has been consistently and continuously successful and shows no signs of stopping. 

Just now, brenda-walsh said:

they released back to back diamond certified albums, multiple era defining hits/ videos, iconic live performances, and set a blueprint for later popgirls to follow? i don't think so lol

This too. We all know Britney was based off of a handful of stars from the late 90s incl. Robyn, Janet, Madonna, Mariah, Aaliyah etc. but she was no carbon copy, let’s not.

When people I'm this forum understand that "impact =/= shock factor" this site might just implode. 

Impact is just a buzz word that helps them explain away any success they don’t agree with by claiming the artists they don’t like don’t have it  :dies: 

People on here try to say Celine Dion, one of the top 10 best selling female artists of all time, has no impact. :rip:  That’s how I know they’re so unserious. They say it about Janet too. Another top 10 female artist of all time.

Even if you don’t like an artist’s music or “understand” their success that doesn’t suddenly mean they have no impact. 

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

Taylor is 100% a legend (or will clearly be when the right amount of years have passed). We can debate the reasons why all day, but to deny that is...

I wouldn't say legend. I feel like you have to be past your prime to be considered a legend. Taylor's career feels too current, imo. 10 years from now should be enough. 

Edited by Badgalbriel

Just now, thetea said:

do you still have bad opinions?

I wasn’t talking about you hunny :heart:

2 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

Well it’s not just shock factor but actually doing something to make music different for the better. You can try and make this case with her re-recordings and sure, that’s her ‘legacy’, but it’s a pretty unexciting one compared to the other legends of music.

1 minute ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

Impact is just a buzz word that helps them explain away any success they don’t agree with by claiming the artists they don’t like don’t have it  :dies: 

People on here try to say Celine Dion, one of the top 10 best selling female artists of all time, has no impact. :rip:  That’s how I know they’re so unserious. They say it about Janet too. Another top 10 female artist of all time.

Even if you don’t like an artist’s music or “understand” their success that doesn’t suddenly mean they have no impact. 

Who says Janet doesn’t have impact? She influenced Britney and Beyonce to an umpteenth degree. :rip: Taylor influenced… Olivia Rodrigo? :rip: 

1 minute ago, collin said:

Well it’s not just shock factor but actually doing something to make music different for the better. You can try and make this case with her re-recordings and sure, that’s her ‘legacy’, but it’s a pretty unexciting one compared to the other legends of music.

I feel like this is much better impact for musicians than someone being impactful for bringing back leotards to pop music or something :deadbanana:

Not people trying to proclaim that Britney has a musical legacy when her career from 1999-2004 is basically just a rough copy of Janet Jackson stuck in the body of a white girl from Louisiana who made teen pop :deadbanana4:

"two diamond albums!" isn't a musical legacy, just in case no one bothered to tell some of y'all that :gaycat4:

Edited by wastedpotential

Britney has a legacy i will never deny that but why are they so bitter about Taylor obviously having a bigger, more respected legacy? Britney didnt even last 10 years into the music industry before already flopping and frontloading. What Taylor achieved with Midnights in 2022 would be the equivalent of Britney doing the same during Glory era. 

Who says Janet doesn’t have impact? She influenced Britney and Beyonce to an umpteenth degree. :rip: Taylor influenced… Olivia Rodrigo? :rip: 

This entire generation of artists is a result of the Taylor Swift effect. The whole relatable, down to earth, personal level artist is a result of Taylor. 

Halsey, Olivia, Kelsea Ballerini, Maren Morris, can't think of more but know they exist. Troye Sivan, Niall Horan. 

I feel like this is much better impact for musicians than someone being impactful for bringing back leotards to pop music or something :deadbanana:

:rip: I’m not going to try and act like Lady Gaga is leagues above Taylor Swift in impact or something. I’d say there pretty similar actually.