Did Taylor just redefine what "imperial phase" means?

alestevens

Just now, Trent W said:

Kanye interruption was one, the kim battle/lwymmd video, she does have some cultural moments.

Infamous but still she has them

So basically all relating to Kanye and Kim :skull: That’s a bit tragic and yet they are saying she is above MJ. 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collin

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The Music Industry said:

Her legacy goes well beyond that. I feel like people often still live in 2012 with the "no legacy/impact!!!!" arguments when it comes to Taylor :deadbanana2: 

I feel like we keep going in circles where we explain all of the things Taylor has done and influenced and y'all just ignore/try to minimize the significance to avoid further cognitive dissonance. So I'm just going to link you to this 10K-word Wiki article describing her cultural and musical impact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Taylor_Swift

I mean she has some legacy and impact. It’s just not very impressive to me, and I’m not alone in that sentiment. :rip: 

1 minute ago, Love Again said:

Have you streamed SOTY today? For the Swifties: she wrote this song about a man being infuated by her. GREAT lyrics for the songwriting stans. Give it a stream!

Madonnas only true heir :clap3:

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, WeFoundTrouble said:

Sis you’re wasting your efforts, Higher Than Heaven is the superior dance pop album released this year you should be out here promoting THAT… D&D is definitely second best though :chick1:

Can’t wait for Taylor’s dance era since that seems to be what it takes for some of y’all to like an artist (not @ Love Again, @ others) 

Screw dance I just want the reputation vault tracks, where is my rep title track?

She's been untouchable for over a decade and had been her only competition. Now she's so beyond anyone else's reach its ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

The Spotify boycott was just one piece of a much bigger puzzle. On its own it can be unimpressive but when you realize it’s a definitive catalyst in the building blocks of Taylor’s legacy as a champion for artists’ rights you’d understand.

I like that she’s found a way to make her vanity into an artists rights issue. I wouldn’t ever go as far to say she isn’t a creative person.

38 minutes ago, brenda-walsh said:

so she hasn't "redefined" the imperial phase then? which is what this thread is about 

Every legend has redefined the imperial phase because they are all their own unique phenomenon.  And further to the point, none of the artists you listed before defined what it means to have an imperial phase in the streaming age.  

1 minute ago, Love Again said:

Screw dance I just want the reputation vault tracks, where is my rep title track?

I’ll save you a seat at reputation stadium world tour 2.0 Taylor’s Version :jonnycat:

Personally I think all women are having imperial phases today. Remember a few weeks back when almost the entire Hot 100 top 10 was dominated by women? Now that's a real ******* legacy. Or whatever the lyrics were to Maroon (was it Maroon?) 

Ariana Grande I Think We All Sing GIF - Ariana Grande I Think We All Sing  Victoria Justice - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Shelter said:

What are Taylor’s though? Can you tell us 

For one, completely breaking Ticketmaster and causing media frenzy due to unparalleled demand which literally kickstarted a national discussion on Live Nation's monopoly, a DOJ investigation, an ongoing lawsuit and a public hearing with America's top politicians? Now that was (and still is - the whole ordeal is far from over) a cultural moment with actual real world ramifications, not just gays reminiscing about good ol' days and bopping to a throwback "iconic!!!" hit :deadbanana:

Edited by The Music Industry

1 minute ago, Shelter said:

So basically all relating to Kanye and Kim :skull: That’s a bit tragic and yet they are saying she is above MJ. 

She is getting on his level commercially in the US.

And you do have to have certain star power to have a cultural moment, infamous or not, or related to another celebrity.

Her forte is songwriting, she doesn’t have a massive stage presence to pull an iconic performance like Britney, Bey or MJ in their prime.

And she still is outperforming everyone with her tour.

That is legendary. Like we have to give credit where is due

2 minutes ago, collin said:

I like that she’s found a way to make her vanity into an artists rights issue. I wouldn’t ever go as far to say she isn’t a creative person.

If she was strictly vein in her practices don’t you think she would’ve “spoken out” against Spotify but left her catalogue up for the streams and charting boosts? Instead of basically sabotaging her own era and killing the performances of the singles that era?? She believes strongly enough in artists’ rights that she’s willing to take hits to her own career at times when it matters significantly enough to her to speak up on it.

5 minutes ago, collin said:

I mean she has some legacy and impact. It’s just not very impressive to me, and I’m not alone in that sentiment. :rip: 

It's certainly impressive enough for her to have more university courses (close to 10 ongoing courses in North American and European universities, as well as one in a Chinese university) dedicated to her musicality and legacy than any other artist alive right now besides Beyoncé? :michael:

2 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Pittsburgh becoming Swiftsburg, The Eras Tour being a massive event? :bird: Y'all try to derail Taylor having success not being enough while vicariously living in the late 90's will never not be funny :bibliahh:

Cute but I wouldn’t call that iconic.  you’re the one that quoted me trying to erase other artists and being shady for a lil kii :skull: If you’re going to tear down other artists to bump Taylor up, do you think people are not going to reply? 

Taylor and her fans are being dragged on TikTok because some fan made a video saying she is bigger than MJ level. Comments laughing and saying she is not known where they are.  Her fans bring the hate on themselves. :rip: 

1 minute ago, Trent W said:

And you do have to have certain star power to have a cultural moment, infamous or not, or related to another celebrity.

Her forte is songwriting, she doesn’t have a massive stage presence to pull an iconic performance like Britney, Bey or MJ in their prime.

I just wish this phenomenon could happen with someone that’s interesting. :rip: 

1 minute ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

If she was strictly vein in her practices don’t you think she would’ve “spoken out” against Spotify but left her catalogue up for the streams and charting boosts? Instead of basically sabotaging her own era and killing the performances of the singles that era?? She believes strongly enough in artists’ rights that she’s willing to take hits to her own career at times when it matters significantly enough to her to speak up on it.

But sis she was kinda shady for doing that to Katy oml... she couldn't even let Witness breathe. Poor Katheryn :deadbanana2:

Edited by Love Again

Just now, WeFoundTrouble said:

Plus when she signed back up to Spotify didn't her contract with them benefit all artists on that platform :rip:

2 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

For one, completely breaking Ticketmaster and causing media frenzy due to unparalleled demand which literally kickstarted a national discussion on Live Nation's monopoly, a DOJ investigation, an ongoing lawsuit and a public hearing with America's top politicians? Now that was(and still is - the whole ordeal is far from over) a cultural moment with actual real world ramifications, not just gays reminiscing about good ol' days and bopping to a throwback "iconic!!!" hit :deadbanana:

Not to mention President Biden forcing Ticketmaster and other ticketing sites to get rid of “ghost fees” last week as a result of the Eras Tour trials. Now you have to be shown the full price of your tickets upfront including all fees instead of being met with hundreds of dollars additional to what you see when searching for seats in the venue maps :rip: 

like, she provokes REAL WORLD CHANGES in the industries surrounding her but that’s not impact to these people because she didn’t belly dance over an active volcano once in 2003 :rip: :rip: 

I think that’s cool and all, despite that it really doesn’t seem to actually change much in the industry, and she’s still enormously wealthy and only becoming wealthier with 15 variants per quarterly release. :rip: 

1 minute ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Plus when she signed back up to Spotify didn't her contract with them benefit all artists on that platform :rip:

Or when she signed with Republic she made sure that if they ever sold their stake in Spotify all  artists under the label would receive a share of the payout :dies:  They just don’t get how impactful she REALLY is.

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Personally I think all women are having imperial phases today. Remember a few weeks back when almost the entire Hot 100 top 10 was dominated by women? Now that's a real ******* legacy. Or whatever the lyrics were to Maroon (was it Maroon?) 

Ariana Grande I Think We All Sing GIF - Ariana Grande I Think We All Sing  Victoria Justice - Discover & Share GIFs

The top 10 in question:

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I don’t agree. No one is close to him. I think people forget easily. 

I guess you’re right she isn’t the type of Popstar for those moments. 

I’m not coming for her success, it’s impressive and seeing a female do this well is always amazing. 

Or when she signed with Republic she made sure that if they ever sold their stake in Spotify all  artists under the label would receive a share of the payout :dies:  They just don’t get how impactful she REALLY is.

But nope Taylor's vain and only looks out for herself :gaycat6:

Yes, she’s bigger than MJ and the beatles combined 

1 minute ago, collin said:

I think that’s cool and all, despite that it really doesn’t seem to actually change much in the industry, and she’s still enormously wealthy and only becoming wealthier with 15 variants per quarterly release. :rip: 

A couple posts ago you said you wish someone more interesting was having this happen to them and I realize it’s not really worth discussing with you. You don’t like Taylor’s music or find her interesting and that is totally ok. You don’t have to. No one is forcing you to. But Taylor is definitely causing actual changes in the music industry that are felt by her peers, other musicians songwriters and producers alike.

Sorry they’re not visibly interesting enough to be memorable to you

• Like 1