Did Taylor just redefine what "imperial phase" means?

alestevens

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collin

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, she is in her imperial phase. That's pretty much non debatable considering her current domination on all fronts.

I don't understand what you mean by "redefining" though. 

I think every respective imperial phase have their own “fingerprint” and identity that make them unique.  

The last couple of years have been incredible to witness for Taylor but so was the 21 era, The Fame Monster, and the 1989 era.

I’m just happy we are back to having MPG imperial eras rather than men like Ed in 2017 or Drake 2016-2018.  

• Like 6

Imperial phase 1: Fearless

Imperial phase 2: 1989

Imperial phase 3: Everything since 2020

Now with Folklore, the re-recordings, Midnights and the general renaissance of her discography, it’s clear that currently her whole career is being celebrated in a unique way that trumps every other pop star domination phase besides Thriller and 80s Madonna

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Swifties go 24 hours without creating a bragging thread challenge 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 12

The fumes in here already :rip:

OT: Yes. Success of her magnitude is once in a lifetime :deadbanana2:

I think y’all forgot what actual Megastars are supposed to do. She definitely in her next peak, but y’all reaching a bit. Mariah, Madonna, MJ, Eminem ect. Have had much bigger peaks in just the last 30 years. In fact they all outsold her by a lot. :coffee2: 
so if we are gonna make up a new “Imperial Phase” moniker for her, then that must apply to other Legends

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I don't know if she "redefined" it, but there's no doubt that Taylor is bigger than she has ever been commercially, culturally, critically, touring-wise, popularity-wise… in basically every possible way.

Actually the one thing she may have redefined and set a new precedence for is just how unusual it is for this current moment to happen for an artist this deep into their career. I can't think of many examples, if any at all, of someone who inarguably peaked 17 years into their professional careers after already having operated on an insanely high level for most of those preceding years. That's really the most impressive aspect of it all. :clap3:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

I think y’all forgot what actual Megastars are supposed to do. She definitely in her next peak, but y’all reaching a bit. Mariah, Madonna, MJ, Eminem ect. Have had much bigger peaks in just the last 30 years. In fact they all outsold her by a lot. :coffee2: 
so if we are gonna make up a new “Imperial Phase” moniker for her, then that must apply to other Legends

Mariah, Madonna and Eminem didn't have the same consistency in terms of success especially in the US. Taylor will outsell Mariah too despite the disadvantage of not having released during the peak of album sales.

Edited by Axelios

In fact they all outsold her by a lot. :coffee2: 

Not for long. 

Just now, Axelios said:

Mariah, Madonna and Eminem didn't have the same consistency in terms of success especially in the US. Taylor will outsell Mariah too despite the disadvantage of not having released during the peak of album sales.

Yes they did😭 they were each the biggest solo artist of each decade, and spawn Hit singles & Albums on the year end charts consistently. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Yes they did😭 they were each the biggest solo artist of each decade, and spawn Hit singles & Albums on the year end charts consistently. 

Taylor is the biggest artist this decade by far. 

Just now, Steve Johnson said:

Taylor is the biggest artist this decade by far. 

I agree she and Bad Bunny are undisputed 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Sazare said:

No, even Morgan Wallen’s current era is bigger than taylor’s

IFPI global artist - #1 Taylor Swift. 

9 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Eminem and Mariah never did stadiums 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Johnson said:

IFPI global artist - #1 Taylor Swift. 

IFPI is a notoriously dubious institution with numbers adjusted on the whims of industry execs

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

24 minutes ago, byzantium said:

I’m just happy we are back to having MPG imperial eras rather than men like Ed in 2017 or Drake 2016-2018.  

this. 

No you can compare Mariah and Madonna first 10 albums to Taylor if you want.

2 minutes ago, Sazare said:

IFPI is a notoriously dubious institution with numbers adjusted on the whims of industry execs

So we should believe you, a certified OTH? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ugo said:

Eminem and Mariah never did stadiums 

this isn't a good comparison. stadium tours aren't a fully accurate way to measure success. mariah never toured much in her career. even in the 90s when there was huge demand for her. her songs were too vocally demanding to be singing weekly and she didn't seem to be fond of touring so she never did. she offset her lack of tours with constant releases, the only year in the 90s she didn't release anything was 1996. 

Edited by thetea

19 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

This 

For example: she had four sold out shows in my country last week (I’m attending one of them) that doesn’t mean everyone is talking about her or she has multiple hits here. she’s a generational phenomenon yeah, but my mom literally asked me: who is that? 

it’s not a Michael Jackson or The Beatles type of phenomenon as some swifties are claiming 

Edited by DoubleRainbow!
  • Like 4

Madonna already did that when Hung Up went No.1 in 41 countries 22 years into her career and she got her seventh album to sell 10M copies worldwide :clap3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1