Beyonce & Jay Z dragged for mocking Tina Turner’s abuse

SharonStone

This is simply crying from detractors who refuse to acknowledge that the now black elders sided with an abuser and ran Tina out of the country long before this lyric was conceptualized or even before Bey and Jay were born. Tina's story echos other BW in the industry from that time as well. Most died before they were 50. 

They've been trying it for the past week. But then they expect a prompt word and tribute from Bey since Tina "made" her. 

Also people forget, Tina had heavy involvement in the moment and approved the fictional movie scene referenced.

Edited by Dreajae

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QueenBeyoncé

• Lovett

• Starchild

• EmailMySwift

Why are people here surprised by the lyrics? like the song was big when it was released and people already discussed the verse back then

cut the fake outrage.. a line reference from a completely made up scene :dies:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

That's what happens when you dont write your own music and have a giant writing camp trying to write edgy, memeable lrycs for you. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 13

wait what??? didn't know these two did this, I am floored.

46 minutes ago, KBax said:

What made either of them think that, that line was okay to be put in a song... like come on 

Pinkglock GIF - Pinkglock GIFs

Rappers lowkey used to say way worse things in lyrics lol 

by that time though (and after performing with Tina many times) that lyric mad no sense 

Spoiler

Also mid age black people reference it all the time 

Edited by G.U.Y. Gaga

1 minute ago, Bethenny Frankel said:

wait what??? didn't know these two did this, I am floored.

You're floored by a lyric regarding a fictional situation, that Tina Turner took zero offence of? :skull: I'm sorry, but this faux outrage over a decade-old lyric is absolutely hysterical. Tina Turner remained a huge Beyoncé stan until she passed away. People being offended on behalf of someone else is so bizarre. :toofunny3:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

You're floored by a lyric regarding a fictional situation, that Tina Turner took zero offence of? :skull: I'm sorry, but this faux outrage over a decade-old lyric is absolutely hysterical. Tina Turner remained a huge Beyoncé stan until she passed away. People being offended on behalf of someone else is so bizarre. :toofunny3:

Whether or not this particular instance of abuse happened, Tina was physically abused by Ike so for him to recount a sexual situation and describe himself as someone who bites (Mike Tyson) and hits (Ike) women is grossssssssssssss no matter what kind of positive spin you'd like to give to it. What the actual ****? 

Foreplay in a foyer, ****** up my Warhol
Slid the panties right to the side
Ain't got the time to take drawers off
On sight, catch a charge I might
Beat the box up, like Mike in '97, I bite
I'm Ike Turner, turn up baby, no, I don't play
"Now eat the cake, Anna Mae
Said, "Eat the cake, Anna Mae

Edited by EmailMySwift
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, EmailMySwift said:

Whether or not this particular instance of abuse happened, Tina was physically abused by Ike so for him to recount a recount situation and describe himself as someone who bites (Mike Tyson) and hits (Ike) women is grossssssssssssss no matter what kind of positive spin you'd like to give to it. What the actual ****? 

Foreplay in a foyer, ****** up my Warhol
Slid the panties right to the side
Ain't got the time to take drawers off
On sight, catch a charge I might
Beat the box up, like Mike in '97, I bite
I'm Ike Turner, turn up baby, no, I don't play
"Now eat the cake, Anna Mae
Said, "Eat the cake, Anna Mae

Except, I'm not giving it a positive spin. I've stated facts - the reference is to a fictional situation and Tina at no point voiced disapproval or offence over the lyric. In fact, she's continued to publically vocalise her appreciation of Beyoncé and how she is one of the few artists she listens to.

You are trying to get offended on behalf of someone who never expressed any offence in the first place. Ten years after the song came out. The faux outrage is comical at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

14 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

That's what happens when you dont write your own music and have a giant writing camp trying to write edgy, memeable lrycs for you. 

The ignorance... big writing camp writing Jay-Z lyrics lol

46 minutes ago, Daddy said:

beyonce-feminist.gif

I have love for Bey but :ahh:

OT: I never understood why Jay Z thought this line was it 

25 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

Yes, notorious writing camp user, Jay-Z :toofunny2:

Using the death of a woman to push your anti-Beyoncé narrative over a 10 year old lyric… Get a hobby. A job even…

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

27 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

Did you read this back and realize how dumb you sound 

As I mentioned before, I love Bey, but I can't defend this, whether the movie scene is fake or not - it's still referecing to the abuse on Tina and putting this in the song about riding the surfboard is bad.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

This is simply crying from detractors who refuse to acknowledge that the now black elders sided with an abuser and ran Tina out of the country long before this lyric was conceptualized or even before Bey and Jay were born. Tina's story echos other BW in the industry from that time as well. Most died before they were 50. 

They've been trying it for the past week. But then they expect a prompt word and tribute from Bey since Tina "made" her. 

Also people forget, Tina had heavy involvement in the moment and approved the fictional movie scene referenced.

What does any of that have to do with these lyrics? :huh: They were disrespectful and mocking, there's no need to bend over backwards trying to defend them. I'm sure Beyonce and Jay themselves regret it now.

Nobody is forgetting that Tina approved of that scene in the movie, that's totally beside the point because as far as I'm aware she didn't approve of it being used to mock her abuse in a song years later :skull:

• Like 2

Imagine if it was anyone else. They'd have to delete the song, issue a public apology, pay a fine, and do 6 months of community service at an abused women's shelter. 

But with Beyonce and Jay-Z it's ~kewl, Pitchfork gave it 9, ya'll overreacting, "I bite women like Mike, make them eat the cake Anna Mae like Ike ;)"

6 minutes ago, LVP said:

As I mentioned before, I love Bey, but I can't defend this, whether the movie scene is fake or not - it's still referecing to the abuse on Tina and putting this in the song about riding the surfboard is bad.

It’s a reference to a movie..  a word play; eat the cake means eat her a**  y’all are so ___ on this site :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 2

13 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

Using the death of a woman to push your anti-Beyoncé narrative over a 10 year old lyric… Get a hobby. A job even…

This! Like go touch grass :dies:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Do I see Swifties in here blaming a woman for the actions of a man? How disastrous :chick1:

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator

People saying "it's only in the movie!!!" think it's OK to mock domestic abuse, about a person who did experience it, as long as the scenario is from a film? Worms.

Always was mystified by this lyric, which is gross, period.

• Like 4

Just now, Pheromosa said:

Do I see Swifties in here blaming a woman for the actions of a man? How disastrous :chick1:

Was this song not on Beyonce's album? Do I see stans of "King B" saying she doesn't call the shots when it's convenient? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.