Was the PRISM era more succesful than Teenage Dream?

Solaria

Teenage Dream is (rightfully so) praised as one of the best pop eras ever!

However, since we’re on numbersTRL, PRISM had 2 Diamond singles versus TD who has 1. And the Prismatic World Tour grossed 204.3M (251M adjusted for inflation) versus California Dreams Tour which grossed 59.5M (75.21M adjusted for inflation)

Did Prism, her best album, win? 

spacer.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KatyPrismSpirit

• byzantium

• Axelios

• Solaria

Top Posters In This Topic

Both eras are iconic :clap3:but i still think Teenage Dream is that girl even though Prism is the better album.

PRISM was a success it’s true, but it felt like a victory lap; Teenage Dream clears. It had more hits and is remembered as an imperial pop era. It also has better longevity

Edited by Blue Monday
  • Like 1

I've always seen PRISM as her most significant peak. Yes, TD may outperform PRISM on the statistics front but in terms of an era, PRISM felt like such an event. Of course, so was TD but Katy was literally inescapable at this time. She was the biggest MPG, if not pop artist, at that point in time :jonny5:

• Like 1

Hmm, while I personally might like PRISM over TD, idk if it's actually bigger. Yes, it has two diamond singles instead of one, but the non-diamond singles of TD are waaayyy bigger than the non-diamond singles from PRISM. That must count for something!? The success of TOTGA, ET, TD, LFN... it's just non-comparable to the success of Unconditionally, TIHWD and Birthday.. :michael: If you add Part Of Me / Wide Awake into the mix, it becomes even bigger of a difference. That makes the TD era overall feel much more succesful and remembered

and the fact that she could've had more #1 hits from prism had she not messed up the singles :jonny3:

walking on air, legendary lovers and it takes two remix feat. bruno mars :gaycat6: + birthday with better video, unconditionally without dark horse overshadowing it

Dark Horse and Roar were bigger than the TD hits sans Firework, but there are 8 singles from Teenage Dream that clear everything from Prism except DH and Roar.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

PRISM was a success it’s true, but it felt like a victory lap; Teenage Dream clears. It had more hits and is remembered as an imperial pop era. It also has better longevity

Great assessment. "PRISM" might have stronger stats, but it was only able to achieve this thanks to how monumental the "Teenage Dream" era was. Katy obviously played her cards right with the two hit singles (not a fan of "Dark Horse" at all, but that's what the GP wanted), investing on several high-profile performances throughout (where her vocals had significantly improved compared to the "Teenage Dream" performances), and having a really well-crafted world tour to accompany it. But as you said, "Teenage Dream" feels much more remembered as a whole, not helped by the remaining "PRISM" singles getting overshadowed by the two smash hits.

"PRISM" was a successful era, but "Teenage Dream" was a pop culture moment.

• Like 2

I wonder what would've happened had the singles run been something like this

1. Roar

2. Dark Horse (would've dark horsed any other #2 single so only option was to release it as 2nd single)

3. Legendary Lovers

4. It Takes Two

:smitten:

Edited by Hot Volcano

both iconique moments in pop culture. PRISM has more succesful music videos and better selling singles but Teenage Dream had more longevity and better overall stats (Grammy noms, 6 #1s, recurrent streams etc.

I love both so much tho

3 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

I wonder what would've happened had the singles run been something like this

1. Roar

2. Dark Horse (would've dark horsed any other #2 single so only option was to release it as 2nd single)

3. Legendary Lovers

4. It Takes Two

:smitten:

Imo it should have been:

1. Roar

2. Dark Horse

3. Walking on Air

4. Black Widow (feat. Iggy Azalea)

5. Legendary Lovers (feat. Drake)

6. Unconditionally

PRISM should’ve been

Roar

Unconditionally

Dark Horse

Walking on Air

Legendary Lovers

This Is How We Do (final single)

and it wouldve been Teenage Dream pt. 2

No, in terms of album units it's not even close. According to Chartmasters:

Teenage Dream: 24,569,000

Prism: 13,411,000

Edited by Axelios

No….I’m not even sure how one could argue this.  Teenage dream was one of the four major defining pop eras of the digital era only rivaled by Rihanna’s GGGB, Gaga’s TFM, and Taylor’s 1989. 

Prism was big but it was more on the level of Rihanna’s Loud or Ariana’s My Everything. 

• Like 1

Just now, Love Again said:

Imo it should have been:

1. Roar

2. Dark Horse

3. Walking on Air

4. Black Widow (feat. Iggy Azalea)

5. Legendary Lovers (feat. Drake)

6. Unconditionally

Legendary Lovers didn’t need Drake tbh he definitely wouldn’t fit that song. Maybe a Missy Elliott remix since the production kinda suits Missy and they did the Superbowl :michael:

Just now, byzantium said:

No….I’m not even sure how one could argue this.  Teenage dream was one of the four major defining pop eras of the digital era only rivaled by Rihanna’s GGGB, Gaga’s TFM, and Taylor’s 1989. 

Prism was big but it was more on the level of Rihanna’s Loud or Ariana’s My Everything. 

Teenage Dream is much bigger than GGGB. It actually rivaled with 21, 1989 and TFM

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Teenage Dream is much bigger than GGGB. It actually rivaled with 21, 1989 and TFM

So Katy is a legend like I said and ATRL has to continue to fume? :WAP:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

GGGB is not that far from 1989/TD. 21 is much bigger than all of the rest, it might even be the biggest female album of all time

Edited by Axelios

6 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

In the US definitely.  It is my understanding that GGGB was bigger in Europe which leveled things out.   Still, I agree that TD was still bigger overall by a reasonable margin.  I only mentioned it because I considered it to be the first imperial pop era of the digital era and in the ballpark of the others. 

I left out 21 because it did double all those eras and I don’t really consider it a pure pop era.  

Edited by byzantium
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Axelios said:

GGGB is not that far from 1989/TD. 21 is much bigger than all of the rest, it might even be the biggest female album of all time

Teenage Dream is still on another level. It’s era eligibility in the US is around 90M units.

The album will he certified DIAMOND this year and four of the singles are DIAMOND eligible. 

Besides that, Teenage Dream served much more longevity on the charts and it also does great daily streaming numbers. I believe its currently charting now too.

Eh... I don't think there's any conceivable way you could make a case for this :rip:

The fact that it had 2 diamond mega smashes and yet its at 13M CSPC shows that album wasn’t that big

12 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

:rip: TD & GGGB are on par

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Pretty much this. PRISM wouldn't have been the success it was had it not been for Teenage Dream catapulting it.

• Like 1

Teenage Dream is the biggest album but Katy was bigger in the Prism era.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.