Has South Korea replaced Japan as Asia's it girl?

Before Today

From Samsung to kdrama kpop kbeauty and kimchi to soju. Is South Korea Asia's #1 it girl officially? It used to be Sony sushi anime JRPGs in the 90s and 2000s.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Windy Day

• Before Today

• Starshine

• HANZ94

As a music market,  no.  In global pop culture reach,  yes.

2 minutes ago, Hector said:

As a music market,  no.  In global pop culture reach,  yes.

The fact that Japan's music industry is so massive yet very exclusive/secluded from the rest of the world...

That’s what happens when you stop being so insular 

You're asking this when Nintendo currently has the #1 film in the world? Interesting.

And the answer is no. There's clearly room for both.

I was fortunate to go to both recently and adored both. I think Korea is having a huge impact on pop culture currently.

I honestly fell in love with Seoul as I did not know what to expect. Hard to pick and I think if I visit one I will always visit the other during the same trip. Beautiful places and people.

Anime, Manga and the japanese gaming industry are still eons ahead of k-exports, so no. And kimchi and soju/korean cuisine are not that popular outside of the US.

But korea is showing that there's a place for them on the global zeitgeist.

In terms of popularity and GLOBAL recognition:

Anime & manga > Kpop

Ramen > Kimchi

Sony, Nintendo > Samsung, Hyundai

Super Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Godzilla, Hello Kitty, Animal Crossing > ????

Japanese Cherry Blossom > ????

Geisha, Kimono > Hanbok

Onsens > ????

Karaoke > ????

Kawaii > Aegyo

Origami > ????

Sushi > K-BBQ

JAV > KAV

Sake < Soju

J-Dramas < K-Dramas

J-Skincare < K-Skincare

Japan is still WAY ahead of South Korea despite not trying as hard to westernize themselves

giphy.gif

Edited by Cheers

1 minute ago, shyboi said:

but kpop sis...

KPop is a BUBBLE..

Entertainment wise - i think KPop tookover

CULTURE, Tourism, Overall - JAPAN is still AHEAD

Yes! Japan is so 2000s/2010s

Yes since 2010. 

Japan still has anime and jav though.

Edited by charot

Samsung’s market share is falling, they were in a much better place years ago. 

Anime/Manga as an industry is larger than K-pop, K-dramas, etc.

I wouldn’t say that South Korea has surpassed Japan when it comes to pop culture. Anime/Manga, Sony, and Nintendo > K-pop, K-dramas, and manhwa.

6 minutes ago, shyboi said:

but kpop sis...

Kpop industry is valued at around $5 billion while anime is alnost at $29 billion. Kpop is a wave, it will come and go but Anime industry is at steady growth rate

To be frank, kpop kinda killed jpop on its own turf as well, so it being koreas biggest export is pretty universal.

Kbeauty and Jbeauty are still both niche outside skincare nerds and both have flagship brands that are successful globally.

Japan still leads in visual media like shows and video games, though korea is having a moment with droplets like squid games and parasite.

In Music, Album Sales, & Musical Groups, absolutely.

Otherwise, NO. 

10 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

To be frank, kpop kinda killed jpop on its own turf as well, so it being koreas biggest import is pretty universal.

Kbeauty and Jbeauty are still both niche outside skincare nerds and both have flagship brands the are successful globally.

Japan still leads in visual media like shows and video games, though korea is having a moment with droplets like squid games and parasite.

Yeah, these too.

Also, Kdramas are also growing in popularity. 

36 minutes ago, Maxxie said:

I was fortunate to go to both recently and adored both. I think Korea is having a huge impact on pop culture currently.

I honestly fell in love with Seoul as I did not know what to expect. Hard to pick and I think if I visit one I will always visit the other during the same trip. Beautiful places and people.

I recently visited Korea for the first time and I thought it was lovely as well!! The food is amazing, as well as the scenery compared to where I live in San Francisco. 

23 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Good, **** the chaebols :clap3:

26 minutes ago, Milestone said:

nope, Japan is that girl. there’s a reason why some of your favs depend on the Japanese music market :fan:

:bird: 

Japan is much more bigger than Korea.  

32 minutes ago, Starshine said:

It's just not true. GP cares music/drama way more than anime/mange

As massive as Kpop has become, it still ain’t mainstream.  Japan has done more for global pop culture in the 90’s,2000’s,2010’s and even now. Pokémon and Mario alone generates more revenue than BTS & BlackPink have ever combined. Anime characters are more Known than the biggest Kpop/K-Drama idols worldwide. Say Goku or Naruto and even casuals know what you mean. Say Jimin or Jungkook and only people online or are Stan’s know who that is. It’s not even close when you compare games and Media. Not to take away why South Korea has done in pop culture with Squid games and Kpop. But it’s really not close as y’all think. 

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.