• Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
  2. 2. Better song?

• We Belong Together by Mariah Carey
  3. 3. More remembered song?

• We Belong Together by Mariah Carey

Just now, thetea said:

you're literally just picking and choosing what you're reading. did you bother to read this before mindlessly replying like you do in every thread you comment in?

You don't know what relativity is?

Also.. GOLD are like "massive fanbase" buying. Not screaming GLOBAL SUCCESS

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevyy

• thetea

• suburbannature

• Forever Winter

Just now, Cryptique said:

you literally said it was local, but the gold and platinum certifications globally prove you wrong. it's okay to admit you're wrong. i'm not replying to you anymore because you clearly aren't the brightest.

well one was song of the decade and deservedly so. better lyrics, better instrumentation, better vocals. shallow is still a classic tho!

2 hours ago, Cryptique said:

Some charting weeks are incomplete and highlighted with a *

#01 - 72 weeks charting - USA

#01 - 20 weeks charting - Greece* (Int'l)

#01 - 18 weeks charting - Phillippines (Int'l)

#01 - 16 weeks charting - Taiwan (Int'l)

#02 - 53 weeks charting - Japan

#02 - 51 weeks charting - Canada

#02 - 21 weeks charting - Denmark*

#03 - 20 weeks charting - Malaysia (Int'l)

#04 - 51 weeks charting - France

#06 - 46 weeks charting - Australia

#07 - 43 weeks charting - UK

#08 - 44 weeks charting - Netherlands

#09 - 27 weeks charting - Switzerland

#12 - 23 weeks charting - New Zealand

#14 - 32 weeks charting - Germany

#15 - 24 weeks charting - Italy

#15 - 9 weeks charting - Spain

#18 - 35 weeks charting - Ireland

#19 - 12 weeks charting - Austria

#32 - 7 weeks charting - Sweden

Peaks, but no chartruns saved:

#2 - Cyprus

#2 - Singapore

#2 - Thailand

#3 - South Korea

#5 - Argentina

#8 - Mexico
#9 - Turkey

#12 - Israel

European Albums: (2005) 4 - 10 - 13 - 22 - 22 - 40 - 39 - 37 - 34 - 37 - 39 - 26 - 23 - 22 - 15 - 15 - 22 - 23 - 22 - 20 - 33 - 32 - 37 - 46 - 60 - 60 - 53 - 64 - 70 - 94 - / - (RE) 96 - / - (RE) 77 - 79 - 96 - (2006) 84 - 67 - 68

IFPI EU: 1xP = 1,000,000

Compared to Glitter and Charmbracelet:

Glitter: 5 - 6 - 19 - 32 - 59

Charmbracelet: 23 - 32 (2003) 49 - 48 - 51 - 60 - 97

As per sales:

1,250,000 - The Emancipation of Mimi

750,000 - Charmbracelet

420,000 - Glitter

TEOM wasn't a blockbuster in Europe, but it sold more than previous two albums combined (in a worse sales climate at that). 

According to Universal the album sold a minimum of 900,000 copies in Asia. By April 2008 Universal claimed global sales of 10 million copies. CM and I reject that in pure sales. CM has it at 8,6 million pure not counting half of the Asian sales claims. I'm more generous with the Asian sales and have the album at 9 million worldwide sales (and 12 million streaming equivalent today). The album has over 4 billion strems across all formats. 

WBT alone is close to 800 million on Pandora. 

In short, from charting for 5 - 10 weeks with Glitter and Charmy to charting up to almost a year with TEOM in selected countries is quite the increase. We have to remember where she came from, in my opinion. TEOM was a global event, expecially in the 10 big music industries that year:

Retail value in $

01 - 11,2 billion - USA --------------- #1 - 7xP - 72 weeks charting - 6,150,000 sold

02 - 4,9 billion - Japan -------------- #2 - 1xP - 53 weeks charting - 350,000 sold

03 - 3,3 billion - UK ----------------- #7  - 2xP - 43 weeks charting - 660,000 sold

04 - 2,1 billion - Germany ----------- #14 - Gold - 32 weeks charting - 120,000 sold

05 - 1,9 billion - France ------------- #4 - Gold - 51 weeks charting - 185,000 sold

06 - 708 million - Canada ---------- #2 - 3xP - 51 weeks charting - 350,000 sold

07 - 639 million - Italy -------------- #15 - uncertified - 24 weeks charting - 40,000 sold

08 - 637 million - Australia --------- #6 - 1xP - 46 weeks charting - 120,000 sold

09 - 547 million - Spain -------------#15 - uncertified - 9 weeks charting - 10,000 sold

10 - 423 million - Netherlands ------#8 - uncertified - 44 weeks charting - 35,000 sold

The 10 biggest music industries represent 8 million in sales for the album. 

I personally don’t believe Shallow is a classic yet so WBT is my answer. Why compare songs released so far apart?

I feel it’s more likely everybody knows We Belong Together. Specific stats aside.. that intro ignites a fire in any room/club/car, etc.

Shallow is well known and huge too, of course.

I don’t… remember We Belong Together 😬 

Like, I’m sure if I heard it I’d be like “ohhh… yeah” and wouldn’t bother adding it to my library.

we belong together is honestly such a staple in music history as a song and of it's genre. it literally cemented mariah's legacy and ushered in one of the best comebacks of pop history

Shallow was much bigger WW, let's not :rip:

Even in the USA, We Belong Together, for the "song of the decade" it sold like less than 2M digital copies back then in the USA, lmao.

Even #7 peaking Hung Up sold over 1M digital copies in the USA back then.

When you look at the fact WBT spent 11-15 weeks (rain on me numbers) charting in a lot of Europe... and Shallow spent 10 weeks at #1 in switzerland, is one of the longest charting songs ever in the UK. :rip: 

ATRL (britney stans) is always downgrading Gaga's single success like WBT was a local smash and hit ww. Shallow is a monster... Shallow is more comparable to her xmas song or to hung up

Edited by Mr. Stratus

4 hours ago, Mr. Stratus said:

When you look at the fact WBT spent 11-15 weeks (rain on me numbers) charting in a lot of Europe... and Shallow spent 10 weeks at #1 in switzerland, is one of the longest charting songs ever in the UK. :rip: 

ATRL (britney stans) is always downgrading Gaga's single success like WBT was a local smash and hit ww. Shallow is a monster... Shallow is more comparable to her xmas song or to hung up

:cm:

Happy to see Mariah and her monumental anthem winning, ATRL won, humanity won :clap3:. Thank you lord

Shallow is bigger WW :clap3:

11 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

Shallow was much bigger WW, let's not :rip:

Even in the USA, We Belong Together, for the "song of the decade" it sold like less than 2M digital copies back then in the USA, lmao.

Even #7 peaking Hung Up sold over 1M digital copies in the USA back then.

Untrue. We never got an update for WBT post its chartrun. A song like ABMB (1996) never charted on the digital charts in the USA and also sold 1 million digital copies. WBT has sold at least 3 million pure digital tracks in the US. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Stratus said:

Xmas song sold 35 million sps units globally. 

WBT charted at the beginning of digital sales with physical singles still being a thing. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 2:40 PM, Rico Shameless v2 said:

I feel it’s more likely everybody knows We Belong Together. Specific stats aside.. that intro ignites a fire in any room/club/car, etc.

:cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.