• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QueenBeyoncé

• SinnerCity

• Link16

• Bobyonce

8 hours ago, Stankonia said:

The Supremes are the biggest girl group of all time. It's just that record sales were much lower in the 60's.

I don't think record sales were much lower, they just didn't have an official tracking system back then so it appears like some of the legends sold less than modern icons. The RIAA's method back in the day was to call record stores and ask the manager/clerk how many copies of an album or single were sold that day lol. They could make up anything under the sun. In fact, none of the classic Motown artists were really certified by the RIAA until the 80s because Gordy refused to submit the label's books so who knows just how much The Supremes sold. I think the main way to look at an artist's popularity was through the charts and maybe their concerts and I know The Supremes have 12 #1 hits to their name in the states. They're for sure the biggest girl group in that regard. They also charted well across the pond and I believe were the first to tour abroad. Girl groups would definitely be a lot different without them. 

Edited by Soda Pop Queen

26 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

I had this poster

CL78761.jpg

Their photos during that era were just :jonny:  >>> 

I think this pic (or the album cover) was on the toothbrush I had omg bring back so many memories 

3 hours ago, abeille said:

TLC were a non factor outside the US (where DC still outsold them) and Japan. Be serious with yourself.

US+Japan accounts for more than half of the global music market.

Edited by Axelios

22 hours ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

A time that was most pleasing lol 

This was the poster you got with the album 

spacer.png

they truly embodied the vintage 'charlie's angels' flare didnt they? make up and photo treatment were spot on as well. let me bop to 'apple pie à la mode' real quick. :bird:

idk about bey and her friends outselling spice girls. but they are definitely more talented than those model group

People were saying for years that TLC had sold more records than DC, was that a lie or did DC catch up recently? :gaycat5:

20 hours ago, bijonse said:

Agreed, spice girls were kind of a fad let’s be real. DC endured and is up there with the supremes as the biggest ggs ever

Now I'm the biggest Beyoncé stan going, but let's be real here. Any time the Spice Girls arrange a reunion, it's always reported as a major event. Their last reunion tour got Top Boxscore of the year from a three-night stint at Wembley and made something close to $80m from just 13 dates, and that was WITHOUT their most popular member. Their meteoric rise to the top might have been short-lived, but they're too accomplished and too celebrated (to this day) to not have subverted the "fad" designation by now.

As revered as DC is in their own right, their legacy is kept afloat largely by Beyoncé's immense popularity.

• Thanks 3

I’m glad it’s not the spice girls.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, Rhythm said:

Now I'm the biggest Beyoncé stan going, but let's be real here. Any time the Spice Girls arrange a reunion, it's always reported as a major event. Their last reunion tour got Top Boxscore of the year from a three-night stint at Wembley and made something close to $80m from just 13 dates, and that was WITHOUT their most popular member. Their meteoric rise to the top might have been short-lived, but they're too accomplished and too celebrated (to this day) to not have subverted the "fad" designation by now.

As revered as DC is in their own right, their legacy is kept afloat largely by Beyoncé's immense popularity.

It’s not DC’s fault that Spice Girls don’t have a Beyoncé.. it’s not like each member didn’t try their hand as a solo act :toofunny2:. And it actually speaks even more about Destiny’s Child they don’t reunite as often as the Spice Girls and yet SG streams still lack behind Destiny’s Child on every platform. You saying this as if DC didn’t make hits hit hits..

And let’s not act like a DC tour wouldn't slay the box office :lmao:

Edited by QueenBeyoncé

1 hour ago, getinthezone said:

they did not sell 100m pure :skull: 

I’m 100% sure he knows about the group he managed more than you. Deal:gaycat2:

On 3/23/2023 at 12:47 AM, Soda Pop Queen said:

I don't think record sales were much lower, they just didn't have an official tracking system back then so it appears like some of the legends sold less than modern icons. The RIAA's method back in the day was to call record stores and ask the manager/clerk how many copies of an album or single were sold that day lol. They could make up anything under the sun. In fact, none of the classic Motown artists were really certified by the RIAA until the 80s because Gordy refused to submit the label's books so who knows just how much The Supremes sold. I think the main way to look at an artist's popularity was through the charts and maybe their concerts and I know The Supremes have 12 #1 hits to their name in the states. They're for sure the biggest girl group in that regard. They also charted well across the pond and I believe were the first to tour abroad. Girl groups would definitely be a lot different without them. 

This.

The BBC reported The Supremes sales at 100 million when reporting Mary Wilson's death.

As well as the 12 #1s, The Supremes have a total of 20 singles which have published sales of at least 1 million in the US. Where Did Our Love Go and Love Child have confirmed 2 million in the US. So that's 22 million in the US from singles only, but none of them are certified by the RIAA.

Only their 80s compilations and onwards are certified and 1 or 2 singles.

They have 1.88 certified units in the UK (3.118 million reported sales) - most of those are digital singles tracked from 2004 onwards and miss out 3-4 decades of sales data from when the singles were hits.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:49 PM, Rhythm said:

Gorl bye.

Kelly Rowland has 2 of the biggest songs of the century. She has multiple songs with 100+ million streams on Spotify.

Dilemma

•  was #1 in Australia, Belgium, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland, Switzerland, UK, US and top 10 in 25 countries! Cerified Platinum in 8 countries (3 are Multi-Platinum).
  • Dilemma is #11 on the the Billboard Hot 100 decade-end list from 2000 to 2009, and placed at #75 position on the list of all-time songs to chart on the Billboard Hot 100.
  •  In the UK, it was the fourth-best selling single in the United Kingdom in 2002, and was the 23rd highest-selling single in the country from 2000 to 2009. Reportedly sold 7 million worldwide - but this seems low with its high streams.
  • 1.3 billion views on YouTube
  • 661 million streams on Spotify

When Love Takes Over

•  was #1 in Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovakia, Switzerland and the UK.
  • Top 10 in 28 countries.
  • Certified Platinum in 9 countries (3 are Multi-Platinum).
  • Reportedly sold 5.5 million worldwide.
  • 207 million views on YouTube
  • 348 million streams on Spotify

UK

• 4.76 million certified total units (singles and albums) in the UK and a total 5.211 million officially reported sales in the UK alone.
  • 2 #1 hits
  • 9 top 10 hits
  • 13 top 20 hits
  • 3× Platinum (1.8 million units): Dilemma
  • 2× Platinum: (1.2 million units): When Love Takes Over
  • Gold (400,000 units): Work, Commander
  • Silver (200,000 units): Stole, Like This, Invincible
  • Nearly certified songs: Down for Whatever (177,000), Motivation (142,000), What a Feeling (132,00)

Australia

• 1 #1
  • 6 top 20s
  • 3× Platinum: Dilemma
  • 2x Platinum: When Love Takes Over
  • Platinum: Stole, Work
  • Gold: Can't Nobody

Germany

• 1 #1
  • 5 top 20s
  • Platinum: When Love Takes Over
  • Gold: Dilemma, One Life

Italy

• 1 #1
  • 4 top 10s
  • 5 top 20s
  • Platinum: Work, Breathe Gentle, When Love Takes Over
  • Gold: Dilemma

New Zealand

• 5 top 10s
  • 8 top 20s
  • Platinum: Dilemma, When Love Takes Over
  • Gold: Stole, Commander, Invincible

Switzerland

• 4 top 10s

• 6 months later...

Queens. Yes they outsold all the gg according to chart masters. Love the vocal melodies laid across,the production and always trust them to give a bomb performance :coffee:

TLC? :priceless: They were never in the running ever.

Destiny’s Child + Spice Girls + The Supremes are the girl group trinity. If you disagree, you can go live in the alternate universe with the crocodile Loki. 

just show u selling doesnt really mean much cause the Spice Girls impact is way bigger

I know a lot of people who doesn't know DC

1 hour ago, Antikythera said:

just show u selling doesnt really mean much cause the Spice Girls impact is way bigger

I know a lot of people who doesn't know DC

Most peoooe think dc songs are Beyoncé songs. They know the songs just not the group cause it wasn’t marketed as one. People love a group where each member plays into their unique characteristic and wears a designated color that’s where the spice girls shined. But most people probably only know wannabe here in murica and for dc they know survivor and say my name!

Records you mean? Because in equivalents spice Girls sold more

Yeah… I don’t know that I buy this. The Supremes, particularly when it comes to cultural impact, clears. The amount of hits is staggering, with continuous covers to this day. Didn’t Bruce just release a cover of Someday We’ll Be Together not a year ago?

Destiny’s Child was still releasing music when streaming already existed, so I’m not exactly shocked that their streaming numbers today are so stable. Combine that with the fact that The Supremes, particularly at their peak in the 60s, were releasing music when record keeping was rudimentary at best, I think it’s disingenous to say DC outdid them.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.