Cate Blanchett doesn’t understand obsession with labels. Defends ScarJo.

Space Cowboy

53 minutes ago, Mitsouko said:

What is she talking about possibly not being allowed to play a lesbian nowadays when she is currently nominated for an Oscar for playing a lesbian :deadbanana:

Seems like she's still on character. :bibliahh: Giving strong Tár teas.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jessie

• fridayteenage

• truthteller

• Space Cowboy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

You know, it sounds even more stupid when typed.

"Johanson, who played a japanese woman"

Like, I'm not outraged, but use your brain challenge. Why should a white actor be playing a Japanese woman. :rip:

The transgender role makes less sense though - I actually don't see a defense of that role being gatekept by a transgender actor, if the plot is about transition. I also care less about gay roles as well.

53 minutes ago, Communion said:

Start casting trans people in cis roles first if it's really just about acting.  :heart2:

:coffee: :clap3:

I'll just add that I think Kristen Stewart said something like there's a bit of a gray area when it comes to straight playing queer and vice versa and how the story should be told by someone who has "lived that experience", and I generally agree with that but I think there can be some exceptions. 

But it when comes to race / trans actors and you consider how Hollywood has consistently denied parts to people of a certain identity, heritage, race, etc, and now what? Everyone's supposed to just pretend like that didn't happen? We're not goldfish. I get that these things take time, but maybe these - extremely privileged - actors should just take a breath and allow others some space. 

the way it's always cishets who are obsessed with labels that lgbt people use that cishets created to otherise us. 

• ATRL Moderator

Some of the takes in here… in case it wasn’t already clear, it is still difficult for queer actors to get roles. The problem is not that straight actors are misrepresenting queer people, it’s that they are typically given precedence over queer actors. Of course there are exceptions, but until everyone is on an equal playing field, it might be nice if we promoted queer actors playing queer roles. 

Now I love Cate, but what she said in this interview is ridiculous. Why is she asking if she’d be given public permission to play Carol today as if she wasn’t just nominated for playing a lesbian in Tar? And the ScarJo comment :deadbanana4:

Roman Holiday
1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Not you coming out of Tár and treating the character as aspirational :rip:

No but that line was tea. Her dragging that college student was the only good part of the movie 

Edited by Roman Holiday

5 minutes ago, Roman Holiday said:

No but that line was tea. Her dragging that college student was the only good part of the movie 

The student was naive but Tár was an *******, the movie didn’t take a side especially with what comes to light later. It was darkly funny though yes.

So kind of her to sabotage herself last minute to secure the Yeoh BA win

Bidol83.gif

Maybe it's some weird way to secure her win by still being in-character as Lydia Tar a la Austin with Elvis, idk how else she can say something so strange  :rip: The Carol comment makes no sense when she's about to win an Oscar for ....playing a lesbian, and I'm not even going to talk about the ScarJo comment. She's being dragged all over filmtwt for this as she should, I love her work but sometimes it's okay to just keep your mouth shut if you don't know anything  :ace:

Edited by Billionaire

dragging Scarlett makes her seem even more stupid...what a privilege for these white actors to talk about the public permission for playing those roles while colored or sexual-minority actors are struggling to gain the permission film producers.

If Carol was made now, me not being gay — would I be given public permission to play that role?

Girl this exact thing basically happened in 2022 and you got widely praised and got an Oscar nomination for it??? What is she talking about :deadbanana4:

These comments are giving war flashbacks to how it started with JK Rowling…. :sherlock:

I kinda hate this because we all know actors use it as a gimmick 
You play an overweight or a skinny person, an lgbt person or an old person with prostetics and you get nominations
It's dumb, it's tired and in most cases there's no actual acting
And we know Cate is one of the best ever but others use it as an easy way to get noms 

time to cancel her to make sure Michelle Yeoh get that Oscar :duca: 

She says this yet she's playing a lesbian in Tár  :deadbanana4:

No self awareness :toofunny3:

She never lied, acting is acting. The funny thing about the Scarlet Ghost in the Shell "controversy" is that, like in so many anime, they're portrayed as white anyway. In fact it was beneficial to the storyline because the whole point of the story was that she was a mind isolated from her body and that was a huge part of her character - extrapolating it into an unrecognizable white woman's body added further alienation effectively.

The facts are, there were no Japanese actresses known to the American public with the star power to draw USA audiences. I'm not sure why Hollywood needs to be the definitive host of global representation, I can assure you neither Japanese or Chinese cinema is tying them selves in knots ensuring western representation and British / French / Italian culture is perfectly showcased sensitively.

It's well and truly the modern white saviour complex - to step in and try to amend issues on behalf of other cultures, who don't actually care or want your involvement in all. :rip: 

4 hours ago, Hector said:

Straight actors still to this day get to play LGBTQ roles without a problem

As they should 

As gay actors should play straight roles and they do. 

Stop with these stupid statements. They are actors. They are suppose to be different in their roles. 

OT: cate sweetie stop

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

To be fair Scarjo played a whitewashed version of the character which happens to be a robot, not exactly a japanese woman. Still kinda iffy.

Her character was still called Motoko Kusanagi and she had a Japanese mother in the film :rip: I get she’s been re-incarnated into a robot but it makes no sense she is white. It could have been social commentary but they just ignored it.

-

I agree straight actors should be able to play gay characters since a lot of gay actors play straight characters. It’s very difficult for trans actors to get cis roles so unless that changes, trans actors should play trans people.

Edited by Robert

4 hours ago, Communion said:

Start casting trans people in cis roles first if it's really just about acting.  :heart2:

And this is where all those people fall silent :cm:

4 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

What is she talking about possibly not being allowed to play a lesbian nowadays when she is currently nominated for an Oscar for playing a lesbian :deadbanana:

Right? Like what is that statement :deadbanana:

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

And everything that needs to be said has been said about the yellow face defending.

I mean, she did win her first Oscar for playing Katharine Hepburn who yellowfaced.

And her second Oscar for a movie by a man who married his stepdaughter amongst other abuses.

This is the 3rd time she's been nominated for a film centered around a queer woman (though one of them, she was the 'victim' of a predatory lesbian while she was just a pedo, while this time she has become the predatory lesbian).

4 hours ago, Communion said:

This! 

I hate this discourse. The fact is queer people have to compete with straight actors for queer roles and also often get type cast and struggle to get cast in non queer roles. This is of course especially bad for trans people, there are only a handful of trans actors who can really get consistent work in Hollywood and even then it isn't that consistent and the roles are never big. Playing gay or trans can be a vehicle to acclaim and award season success. Jared Leto and Hilary Swank both won oscars playing trans characters, a whole bunch of straight actors have won for gay roles and a lot more have been nominated for them. Just being nominated can massively boost an actor's career and the academy is well known for rarely nominating queer people. Then when we complain about all this we are accused of "gatekeeping". 

This year we again have multiple straight actors up for awards playing Queer roles. Both Cate and Brendan have a good chance of winning so that could be another two oscars going to straight people for playing queer people and there won't even be a backlash really yet people act like any criticism of this culture is some attack on acting as a concept. 

I have no problem with her playing Lydia. The movie marketing doesn’t hone in on her sexuality. It’s just a secondary facet of the character but im sure sm will pull from this what they want and admonish her anyway. It does seem like she doesn’t want that 3rd oscar. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.