is Beyoncé still the only legend of her generation?

DTF

16 minutes ago, Pinkbutterflies said:

Beyonce is a legend in the heads of her stans. No one takes her seriously outside of a small minority group. Ask someone on the street what they think of Beyonce and they will probably give you a weird, raised eyebrow look.

She is reaching, your honour! :bibliahh:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• bijonse

• Blackout2006

• Bears01

1 hour ago, Axelios said:

Its a criteria to see how well remembered your music is globally.

Spotify numbers are only a criteria of how consumed your music is...on Spotify and has nothing to do with what defines a legend and by that same token, neither does how "memorable" your music is. There are plenty of certified legends with very low musical memorability in the public's consciousness but people still understand and recognize them as legends. If you're suing figures that point to a certain success or memorability, then you're probably defining an icon. And still, Beyoncé has one of the most memorable catalogues on the planet, and as someone mentioned is in fact one of the Top Ten most streamed women on Spotify and she's only released ONE solo studio album at the time of its release to the platform since it became one of the major ways to consume music.

22 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Please be fr. The industry loves and has a great deal of respect for Britney. Trying to deny her influence in modern pop culture won't erase countless instances that support her stand as a pop legend. As of recent, The Weeknd who is one of the most acclaimed artists of this past decade has credited 'In The Zone' (one of Britney's most involved projects, btw) as a crucial album influence in the crafting of his last album and Blackout itself, is one of the most influential pop albums (according to various music publications like Guardian or The Rolling Stones)  in the 21st century. Max Martin himself credits all of his success to Britney and downright saying Britney's involvement with her craft is minimal in spite of the stacks of proof that can even be affirmed by producers and writers themselves is ridiculous. Britney's concept for 'Baby One More Time' was not all mere because that iconic image spurred an influx of Britney-lookalikes and birthed a new perception of the "ideal popstar". Suddenly, the face of pop did not look like that of the pop icons of the 1980s sans Madonna/MJ, it looked like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and such artists that benefitted from her debut in a market saturated with teen-pop girl/boybands. You can't tell me that when you see artists like Miley Cyrus, Charli XCX, Lady Gaga, Slayyter, Tinashe or...basically the entire generation of millennial popstars, you don't see a hint of Britney's influence because it is incredibly present. Changing the face of pop with your debut single is no simple feat but she achieved it with her own vision. If an artist is responsible for the shifting in pop culture of not just the next 5 but 10 or 15 years, they are most definitely a pop legend :cm:

+the fact that she has choreographed a Large majority of her stuff, and isn't just a Wade/Brian creation..

not to mention she was Heavily involved with performance ideas,fashion/styling,direction

The fact that this is backed up by publications,celebs &etc, and isn't just ramblings of a fan~
But Stans STILL won't agree with you because of their bias.

I've had 15 link-receipts proof dismissed Just because I posted one link - twice :toofunny3:

That user may not be a OBH, but people change their minds Really hard. so...

3 minutes ago, swissman said:

Spotify numbers are only a criteria of how consumed your music is...on Spotify and has nothing to do with what defines a legend and by that same token, neither does how "memorable" your music is. There are plenty of certified legends with very low musical memorability in the public's consciousness but people still understand and recognize them as legends. If you're suing figures that point to a certain success or memorability, then you're probably defining an icon. And still, Beyoncé has one of the most memorable catalogues on the planet, and as someone mentioned is in fact one of the Top Ten most streamed women on Spotify and she's only released ONE solo studio album at the time of its release to the platform since it became one of the major ways to consume music.

Spotify is the most global streaming platform in the world. And no Beyonce doesn't have one of the most memorable catalogues in the world. She has one song doing decent streams and that's only because of the playlisting it gets and the hype around her tour anouncement. If you compare it to the numbers Rihanna, Taylor or even Adele are doing with their catalogue. 1989 for example wasn't released on spotify at the time of its release and yet it's still doing very high numbers nowadays.

12 hours ago, chiliam said:

Beyonce is a legend. But how's about Legend X and the legendary Ms Britney Spears.

Neither Christina nor Britney are legends and I love Christina but I see her as more of an icon however she is still a respected musician in the industry and still known for her voice. Britney is also a pop icon but her brand did not age well. She can't sing and her dancing was pretty good from 1999 to 2004.

Edited by Ricardo1993

8 hours ago, RiseAndShine said:

I don't think that's unique to her at all. Madonna and Michael were seen as legends very earlier in their careers for their artistic choices and contributions to the music industry. They just happened to be monster sellers too.

I think you maybe misread what my paragraph said because nowhere did I say that no artist has ever put an emphasis on quality before or was seen as a legend early in their career. I was talking about how she has achieved legend status in a way her peer's haven't, and thus her moves are unique to her (amongst her peers, as that is what this thread aims to discuss).

5 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

Neither Christina nor Britney are legends and I love Christina but I see her as more of an icon however she is still a respected musician in the industry and still known for her voice. Britney is also a pop icon but her brand did not age well. She can't sing and her dancing was just okay from 1999 to 2004.

Her dancing is just okay NOW. It was phenomenal from 1998 to 2004. It’s one thing to downplay Britney the years she was under restraint but to downplay her in her prime was crazy. Britney did not do what she did based on nothing but a pretty face. Be serious. 

Edited by Baby Boy

7 minutes ago, Axelios said:

Spotify is the most global streaming platform in the world. And no Beyonce doesn't have one of the most memorable catalogues in the world. She has one song doing decent streams and that's only because of the playlisting it gets and the hype around her tour anouncement. If you compare it to the numbers Rihanna, Taylor or even Adele are doing with their catalogue. 1989 for example wasn't released on spotify at the time of its release and yet it's still doing very high numbers nowadays.

Sorry but are you implying that being one of the ten most streamed female artists on Spotify means you don't have one of the most memorable catalogues in the world? So she's inside Spotify's Top Ten Most Streamed Female Artists but no one remembers her music?

2 minutes ago, Baby Boy said:

Her dancing is just okay NOW. It was phenomenal from 1998 to 2004. 

I just edited my post because you do make a fair point. She was actually a pretty good dancer during her prime years, she was definitely a better dancer than Gaga or Rihanna. If that knee injury never happened she could have continued to deliver more great string of performances. 

Thread shouldn't even be longer than a page.

Ask yourself who from the late 90s/early 2000s era is still performing at a high level on the charts and entertainment industry overall?

I don't think OP is saying no one has had any success in those years. But who has had the most consistency to chart #1s and top 5s in 4 different decades now? Whose breaking touring records and consistently in the running for the most coveted awards in the industry? Previous generations have the likes of Mariah and Madonna. Meaning Bey would be on that teir as well. No?

53 minutes ago, Pinkbutterflies said:

Beyonce is a legend in the heads of her stans. No one takes her seriously outside of a small minority group. Ask someone on the street what they think of Beyonce and they will probably give you a weird, raised eyebrow look.

No one takes her seriously and yet her name is used more than any one else of her peers (and by a lot) to denote achievement or a type of success or singular focus. Watch almost any reality show competition (ie. GP competing) and you'll hear a contestant say some variation of "I'm the Beyoncé here".

Beyonce is definitely a legend, I would also argue Shakira could be added to that conversation as well. 

The thing that makes Beyoncé a legend ahead of her peers is the kind of honorific respect and admiration the GP and the peers have for her as an artist specifically. Forget the fact that she's basically been successful in EVERY era of her career since her debut with DC (not counting her side projects), and think about who else from her peers is as routinely revered, used as a marker of excellence, and indeed DELIVERS on that excellence time and time again?

Oh my. The fumes I'm seeing from stans of a girl who sold a crap ton of records in 1999. I guess it cuts deep when this very website is essentially a shrine to Britney and there are archive threads all the way from 2002 dragging Beyonce at the untalented and washed one. 

Anyone arguing that Beyonce isn't a legend and she has x,y,z to prove is hurt. Many legends can exist but Bey is the one whose hitting that mark for her era of entertainment. And those are the facts that can't even be argued. 

10 hours ago, Orsay said:

I don't LUV Britney or her stans and she's obviously fallen from the level of commercial success that Beyonce has impressively maintained for 25+ years, but I do just think something about Britney and her story puts her in the legend category as well. Like she doesn't have to do anything atp, the smashery + global domination of the start of her career followed by the "downfall" in the media in 2007 and then commercial comeback in 2008-2011; and now being freed from her conservatorship, its all so compellingly BRITNEY and such a reflection of that era in American culture. So yeah, her and Britney :giraffe:

Okay so Britney is a legendary celebrity but she's not a legendary artist. Being more known for your personal life than your music and artistry does not a music legend make.

5 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

Thread shouldn't even be longer than a page.

Ask yourself who from the late 90s/early 2000s era is still performing at a high level on the charts and entertainment industry overall?

I don't think OP is saying no one has had any success in those years. But who has had the most consistency to chart #1s and top 5s in 4 different decades now? Whose breaking touring records and consistently in the running for the most coveted awards in the industry? Previous generations have the likes of Mariah and Madonna. Meaning Bey would be on that teir as well. No?

Madonna had a massive comeback in 2005 and broke touring records in 2008. Meanwhile Michael Jackson was basically retired. Last studio album was in 2001, which was a big decline from previous releases. With your logic, Madonna was a legend, and Michael was not?

12 minutes ago, swissman said:

Sorry but are you implying that being one of the ten most streamed female artists on Spotify means you don't have one of the most memorable catalogues in the world? So she's inside Spotify's Top Ten Most Streamed Female Artists but no one remembers her music?

She is on the top ten of the female artists charts thanks to her tour anouncement boost. She is barely top 40 overall and a big part of her streams comes from a song that is still currently playlisted on TTH. Her catalogue albums streams are very low compared to say Rihanna or Taylor who released albums on the same years.

Edited by Axelios

9 hours ago, HausOfPunk said:

Someone on reddit defined "Legend" and "icon" and I like their definitions.

A musical legend is an artist that has made groundbreaking contributions to pop culture and has made a significant cultural/global impact. They are cross-generational and have paved the way and been pioneers in their respective fields. Usually a legend is known for one or many distinctive and original qualities that set them apart from everyone else.

A musical icon is an artist that is/was popular during a set time or period but lacks the cross-generational appeal, consistency, or distinguishable impact to be considered a legend. Icons can experience great success and be talented but they lack the necessary qualities that distinguish them from legends. They can be influential but due to factors such as consistency, fading popularity, or death of a trend/genre that made them popular, they fail to qualify as a legend.

Based on this definition, yes, Beyonce is a legend. And I would argue that Gaga is one as well, as she has made groundbreaking contributions to pop culture and transcends generations. 

A perfect example of an icon would be Katy Perry.

By this defintion:

if Beyonce is grouped in with the late 90s/00s group the answer is no because these are also musical legends:

Eminem, Britney Spears, Kanye, Shakira as well as Beyonce. I'd have to scrap out JLO based on the definition as she's more of an entertainment legend

if Beyonce is grouped in with the midish 00s group the answer is no because these are also musical legends:

Gaga, Taylor, Bieber, Drake, Rihanna as well as Beyonce

To me Beyonce is a legend but is not the only legend of her generation one way or another

1 hour ago, Pinkbutterflies said:

1+1= 376 is less of a lie than this 

19 minutes ago, Baby Boy said:

Madonna had a massive comeback in 2005 and broke touring records in 2008. Meanwhile Michael Jackson was basically retired. Last studio album was in 2001, which was a big decline from previous releases. With your logic, Madonna was a legend, and Michael was not?

I'm talking about female artists mostly. Everyone knows Michael is a legend and it's kind of annoying that you felt the need to ask that. We know Michael's stats front to back cause they're literally spouted every 5 seconds everytime someone else is mentioned. 

Now here's the kicker. I do think Beyonce will be primed for greater success and longevity in her 50s and 60s. Naturally. Which is why I think there's so much pressure and desperation to discredit Beyonce by using  her age and kids against for doing this tour and making music. 

49 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

That user may not be a OBH, but people change their minds Really hard. so...

It's all just so silly. They love diminishing her influence on a site that was...made because of her :rip:

4 hours ago, Mystic Boy said:

:ahh:

OT: Yes, but i think Shakira is one too. 

And people desperately tagging Beyoncé with the 00s artists, you aint slick :lmao:

The fact that you never have anything of value to say so all you can do is post an emoji. Why waste the bandwidth, sis?

OT: If you’re putting her with the TRL girls, Britney and Shakira are there. If you’re putting her with the 2000s girls, she stands alone, but Gaga, Rihanna and Taylor more still come for the title, too.

44 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

Britney is also a pop icon but her brand did not age well. She can't sing and her dancing was pretty good from 1999 to 2004.

What do you mean her brand didn't age well when songs like BOMT, OIDIA, Toxic and Gimme More are well-known hits to this day, she has been cited by many artists as a source of inspiration and has many influential albums in her catalogue?:rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.