is Beyoncé still the only legend of her generation?

DTF

7 hours ago, swissman said:

The thing that makes them seem more like peers is they are only born 4 years apart.

Shakira's global breakthrough and her first english album was released in 2001, she charted on the US album charts in 1998 for the first time, same year as Destiny's Child's first hit. I would definitely say they're peers. 

OT: Bey and Shakira are undeniable legends. I would personally include Britney as well, but I can see why there are arguments against it. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• bijonse

• Blackout2006

• Baby Boy

15 minutes ago, Axelios said:

No, critical acclaim doesn't make you a legend. Few people care about her music 

She has a nearly sold out global tour, a #1 album and smash single, is still in the Top 10 most streamed female artists and is about to have another Top 5 hit on the Hot 100 with "Cuff It" this year.

20 minutes ago, Axelios said:

especially outside of the anglosphere 

It is almost impossible to get a tour ticket of B here in Europe because her shows have an immense popular demand. She's currently one of the most streamed and popular western artists in Africa, most of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and Oceania. Renaissance alone peaked in the Top 3 in almost every major market in the world (including #1 in France, which is a very high achievement for western artists). 

5 minutes ago, genio said:

She has a nearly sold out global tour, a #1 album and smash single, is still in the Top 10 most streamed female artists and is about to have another Top 5 hit on the Hot 100 with "Cuff It" this year.

It is almost impossible to get a tour ticket of B here in Europe because her shows have an immense popular demand. She's currently one of the most streamed and popular western artists in Africa, most of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and Oceania. Renaissance alone peaked in the Top 3 in almost every major market in the world (including #1 in France, which is a very high achievement for western artists). 

Yes she has a lot of demand thanks to her performing skills but that doesn't mean her music is that well liked. Again you can just look at her spotify streams being top 10 among female artists is not that impressive especially if you take into account that she released an album this past year, that she has a lot of playlisting and the size of her discography. You can compare her stats to Eminem, Taylor and Rihanna to get a good idea of what it means to have good recurrent streams and make timeless music.

Edited by Axelios

Yes, she is a legend and I'm not even her fan to acknowledge that.

Let's not be delusional Gaga and Britney stans :snowman:

21 minutes ago, Axelios said:

Yes she has a lot of demand thanks to her performing skills but that doesn't mean her music is that well liked. Again you can just look at her spotify streams being top 10 among female artists is not that impressive especially if you take into account that she released an album this past year, that she has a lot of playlisting and the size of her discography. You can compare her stats to Eminem, Taylor and Rihanna to get a good idea of what it means to have good recurrent streams and make timeless music.

Did it ever cross your mind that a lot of her music is r&b leaning? For the fact that r&b is a more US centered genre, her stats are incredibly impressive. Stop trying to find excuses, her streaming stats are great and her overall commercial performance is anything but bad. She's still in the Top 10 most streamed female artists on Spotify (and yes, it IS impressive if you debuted 25+ years ago), has been dominating Apple Music since the release of Renaissance and Cuff It is shaping up to be another global classic. 

Edited by genio

8 hours ago, byzantium said:

I take the analysis whether someone is legend to be a bit more wholistic.  Britney had one of the biggest peaks of all time and to this day is the quintessential teen pop star.  That is enough to be a legend.  

You have to read back the definition of a "legend" quickly :skull:

7 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Yall hags need to stop throwing the legend word to any hit maker.

Only Rih and britney are coming close..

And then mentions Rihanna and Britney Spears 

nnnnnn :toofunny3:

3 hours ago, Eternium said:

Shakira’s debut: October 2nd, 2001
Beyoncé’s debut: May 14, 2003

:ahh:

OT: Yes, but i think Shakira is one too. 

And people desperately tagging Beyoncé with the 00s artists, you aint slick :lmao:

Definitely not. Britney is obviously a legend and there are probably a few more too, like Justin T. And then there are ones in other genres like Coldplay, Green Day etc. not to mention rappers like Kanye etc

8 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Second best selling female artist in history 

14 number 1s

Self made billionaire 

What do you mean why? 

She's literally just a hitmaker, Beyoncé's cultural impact and actual talent is far more impressive than Rihanna's :celestial5:

8 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Second best selling female artist in history 

No

8 hours ago, swissman said:

You said this all so well! (and love the bolded especially)

Reading this with your avi I naturally thought of Whitney, and the kind of all-out legend-vibe she just naturally possessed. I remember when she turned 39 I saw them announce it on Entertainment Tonight, and as a kid I was SHOCKED that she was so young. To me, not really paying close attention to "older" or "established" artists, I had honestly thought she was from the Motown-era or a contemporary of Aretha Franklin. She just had that same legendary vibe as a Diana.

And I think that can also apply to Beyoncé to some degree where not only does she draw huge inspiration from the legends before her which gives her a learned elegance even at a young age but she has a likeness to the kind of qualities that we think of when we think of legends. And Whitney too had classic inspiration in the world she grew up close to, plus her own magic modern touch that made her into her own legend.

YESSS. there was an originality to their talents that you knew automatically made them stand apart from the rest yet is reminiscent of who paved the way before. Its why Beyonce can do what she does now because she learned from what she grew up with and studied what she didn't, and applies it to her own career. She can be frustrating sometimes, but 9/10 she knows what she's doing.

3 hours ago, Axelios said:

No, critical acclaim doesn't make you a legend. Few people care about her music especially outside of the anglosphere just compare her recurrent Spotify streams to those of Eminem, Taylor or Rihanna (who can be considered her peer as a solo act).

So now Spotify is a criteria to see if you’re legend or not. Y’all are saying anything. 

7 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

So now Spotify is a criteria to see if you’re legend or not. Y’all are saying anything. 

Its a criteria to see how well remembered your music is globally.

If you twist your personal definition of legend to exclude others, yes. Also what controversy did she cause with ticketmaster? She’s selling well but there’s been no controversy. That was Taylor. 

6 hours ago, Starshine said:

Britney was almost as famous as Michael Jackson at one point. All of that was just due to her personal life and troubles: a mega-famous popstar that had a fall from grace will always have the GP's attention and a fascinating story for all the wrong reasons. Her stans don't care as long as she's the most famous woman on earth. 2007 is an aesthetic for them, she's a Marilyn Monroe type of girl and her story is legendary yeah. I don't consider her a musical "legend" though because she lacks the many qualities of one. She's definitely one of the biggest pop icons ever. Even as a longtime fan I can admit that she's very overrated and those 5 years of a pretty face with solid Wade Robson/Brian Friedman choreography has blinded most of us into thinking she's a "performer" to the likes of Janet or even Madonna. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. Her stans can go on and on about how the BOMT video was her idea, how she wrote a simple lullaby on the piano, has contributed the bare minimum input in her craft: she did this, she did that!, but the thing is... no one in an industry position takes her seriously. She doesn't have a single album in her discography that is respected as a body of work or critically acclaimed. I think the most prestigious award she's received was a Disney Icon or Vanguard Award (which was deserved because she does have some of the most iconic videos of all time). She's just not as revered overall as the others, she's a 2000s icon and a good throwback to that era. Even Pink who has been churning out the same song for the past 15 years commands more respect in the industry. :rip:

Nasty & stupid for no reason. People in an industry position very much so respect her. That’s what thing that has never wavered. Song writers, producers, choreographers, etc have all praised her up and down for her work ethic and talent. Choosing to ignore it is a personal problem on your end, not Britney’s. & as long as people downplay Britney’s contributions to her work, like you did in this very post, her fans will continue to mention that she did indeed come up with the video treatment for BOMT (and the majority of her videos). & yes they are iconic. & yes, she won the Vanguard award for it. She also won the Millennium award at the BBMAs. We don’t need a Disney icon award. & down playing Everytime as a simple lullaby for what? It’s a beautiful self written song. She should be praised for that. Unlike her peers, Britney wasn’t able to grow as an artist because her freedom as an artist (and human being) was cut short ten years into an extremely promising and long career. Had the same happened to Bey, we wouldn’t have BEYONCE, Lemonade, Renaissance, etc. Britney’s legacy and accomplishments are extremely impressive when this is considered. Whether she’s a legend the way Marilyn Monroe is, or the way Michael Jackson is, she is one. It doesn’t have to hurt. Takes nothing away from Beyoncé. She doesn’t need a monopoly on this discussion. 

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

Definitely not. Britney is obviously a legend and there are probably a few more too, like Justin T. And then there are ones in other genres like Coldplay, Green Day etc. not to mention rappers like Kanye etc

nah 

While growing up, my holy duo were Beyonce and Shakira. I collapsed when they collaborated. 

I don't think Beyonce is the only one that stands out from her peers, but she sure is up there and commands respect. I hope she remains active for years to come; I wouldn't go to her shows anymore, but I would use her music. 

Beyonce is a legend but so is Shakira and Britney Spears.

Britney is deffo a Legend tho :rip:

yall can continue to dismiss it..

but her legacy,influence and success still lives on :michael:

several artists have called her a Legend and she gets her due WITHOUT a PR machine like these other stars :cm:

And for the respect, where? ATRL think that when they dont respect her = the world doesn't also :dies:

yall seem to forget that your Favs have been stanning her since forever lmao

23 minutes ago, Baby Boy said:

Nasty & stupid for no reason. People in an industry position very much so respect her. That’s what thing that has never wavered. Song writers, producers, choreographers, etc have all praised her up and down for her work ethic and talent. Choosing to ignore it is a personal problem on your end, not Britney’s. & as long as people downplay Britney’s contributions to her work, like you did in this very post, her fans will continue to mention that she did indeed come up with the video treatment for BOMT (and the majority of her videos). & yes they are iconic. & yes, she won the Vanguard award for it. She also won the Millennium award at the BBMAs. We don’t need a Disney icon award. & down playing Everytime as a simple lullaby for what? It’s a beautiful self written song. She should be praised for that. Unlike her peers, Britney wasn’t able to grow as an artist because her freedom as an artist (and human being) was cut short ten years into an extremely promising and long career. Had the same happened to Bey, we wouldn’t have BEYONCE, Lemonade, Renaissance, etc. Britney’s legacy and accomplishments are extremely impressive when this is considered. Whether she’s a legend the way Marilyn Monroe is, or the way Michael Jackson is, she is one. It doesn’t have to hurt. Takes nothing away from Beyoncé. She doesn’t need a monopoly on this discussion. 

:clap3:

arguing that beyoncé isn’t a legend in the year 2023 is very delusional. she’s most definitely earned that status, i can only name a few artists that have churned out hits for more than 2 decades and they’re all legends. :toofunny3:

Beyonce is a legend in the heads of her stans. No one takes her seriously outside of a small minority group. Ask someone on the street what they think of Beyonce and they will probably give you a weird, raised eyebrow look.

4 minutes ago, Pinkbutterflies said:

Beyonce is a legend in the heads of her stans. No one takes her seriously outside of a small minority group. Ask someone on the street what they think of Beyonce and they will probably give you a weird, raised eyebrow look.

Now say it again without crying. 

7 hours ago, Starshine said:

Please be fr. The industry loves and has a great deal of respect for Britney. Trying to deny her influence in modern pop culture won't erase countless instances that support her stand as a pop legend. As of recent, The Weeknd who is one of the most acclaimed artists of this past decade has credited 'In The Zone' (one of Britney's most involved projects, btw) as a crucial album influence in the crafting of his last album and Blackout itself, is one of the most influential pop albums (according to various music publications like Guardian or The Rolling Stones)  in the 21st century. Max Martin himself credits all of his success to Britney and downright saying Britney's involvement with her craft is minimal in spite of the stacks of proof that can even be affirmed by producers and writers themselves is ridiculous. Britney's concept for 'Baby One More Time' was not all mere because that iconic image spurred an influx of Britney-lookalikes and birthed a new perception of the "ideal popstar". Suddenly, the face of pop did not look like that of the pop icons of the 1980s sans Madonna/MJ, it looked like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and such artists that benefitted from her debut in a market saturated with teen-pop girl/boybands. You can't tell me that when you see artists like Miley Cyrus, Charli XCX, Lady Gaga, Slayyter, Tinashe or...basically the entire generation of millennial popstars, you don't see a hint of Britney's influence because it is incredibly present. Changing the face of pop with your debut single is no simple feat but she achieved it with her own vision. If an artist is responsible for the shifting in pop culture of not just the next 5 but 10 or 15 years, they are most definitely a pop legend :cm:

Edited by Blackout2006

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.