Did Renaissance deserve AOTY?

Specter

Well?   

252 members have voted

1. 1. Did Renaissance deserve AOTY?

• Yes.
    • No.

9 hours ago, Sept said:

People using "it's a sample album" clearly haven't even listened to the album :dies: Like please the sample lasted for like 2 seconds :dies: 

And didn't Herbie Hancock win AOTY for a cover album of Joni Mitchell songs?

They genuinely just fabricate narratives and then try and pretend it's fact. It's wild. :dies:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovett

• Pleighboy

• Specter

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but Self Titled did. 
- IMO Renaissance is a fantastic album however Beys weakest AOTY nominee 

It's a bad album with only 1-2 good/listenable songs. Y'all especially the critics just rave about it because it's 

tiffany-pollard-beyonce.gif

but quality-wise it's a NO.

Edited by charot

3 hours ago, charot said:

It's a bad album with only 1-2 good/listenable songs. Y'all especially the critics just rave about it because it's 

agreed

No, like Renaissance was never AOTY especially how it came and went. 

56 minutes ago, Phaunzie said:

Nothing say "came and went" like never leaving the top 50 in the biggest music market in the world, being perched at #2 on global Apple Music and consistently pulling 4M daily streams on Spotify. :toofunny3:

I don't know what is more embarrassing; you running from thread to thread trolling her, or having her as your profile picture to pretend you're a fan.

YES!

For all this talk about samples I've never heard a sample used more brilliantly than the way she did the Donna Summer sample at the end of the album as if it were a bibliographic reference, she sings the line as if she's exiting the song itself and entering another plane...it's just wonderful and brilliant and truly shows the artistry that can be done with sampling.

1 hour ago, Phaunzie said:

Where did it go? CUFF IT is just 2 spots lower than where it debuted in August of 2022. The album is still Top 30.

And not using commercial success to define AOTY...

7 hours ago, charot said:

This cannot be the case because if it were just about BEYONCÉ!? then Everything is Love and The Gift would have been critically acclaimed all the same and would have appeared in the Top Ten for most Year-End album lists, nominated for the most Grammys of the night, etc., but though both are great albums, neither had this.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:57 AM, vale9001 said:

He'saying something like "...mother" not what the gif Say.

I highly doubt a grown man is calling Beyoncé mother at the Grammys :rip:

4 minutes ago, Isaac19709 said:

I highly doubt a grown man is calling Beyoncé mother at the Grammys :rip:

Turns out it was "I'm glad to be part of that".

On 2/6/2023 at 7:10 PM, Dark Miracles said:

Renaissance was the obvious standout album from last year, even moreso among this actual lineup of nominees.

To make her lose to some vanilla (ex-)teenybopper is downright condescending.

And they nominated ABBA, Björk and Diana Ross again this far into their career just to make them lose AGAIN too.

Alas, the Yummies will be the Yummies. The sooner everyone follows The Weeknd's lead and denies their existence the better.

The last time they were actually prestigious was the early 00s.

SAY IT LOUDER! :clap3:

Excellent comment from your part.

In this line-up, I would personally vote for either Renaissance or Un Verano sin Ti. :heart:

On 2/9/2023 at 4:39 AM, Afferty said:

No of course. Beyonce gans are delusional as always

:rip:

On 2/5/2023 at 11:33 PM, Pleighboy said:

Honestly, no. Beyonce is the only artist that can get away with low quality music and be nominated in major categories at the Grammys. She basically make the same music as City Girls, but because she is Beyonce she gets nominated. I don’t care what anyone says, 25 rightfully beat out Lemonade for AOTY. Screw impact and what he did for black women. That does not equal to global impact, which Adele had with just Hello. Hello was played on hip hop and r&b stations. The lyrics on Lemonade were cringeworthy. I mean, the whole Formation song is a joke. What is Grammy-worthy about lyrics like, “When he f me good I take his ass to Red Lobster”? No other artist can get away with that except her. And I'm going to wake it up, the only reason why she gets nominated is because of colorism and tokenism. She's basically their default black person to award because they don't want to award other black artists. And she knows she benefits from this privilege, but do you ever think she is going to speak against it? No because she lives for titles like “Mosr awarded in history” and “The first black...”  She pails in comparison everywhere else and that is a fact. 

oh come on

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.