Did Renaissance deserve AOTY?

Specter

Well?   

252 members have voted

1. 1. Did Renaissance deserve AOTY?

• Yes.
    • No.

It absolutely did. She’s deserved it all times she’s been nominated except for IASF imo, but the Grammys have been very out of touch for quite some time now and we constantly see albums that make big waves or changes within the industry, culture and the genres they respectfully reside in (TPAB by Kendrick Lamar, Blonde by Frank Ocean and ofc all three of the latest Beyoncé solo albums), get snubbed for cookie cutter Pop albums, eg. Harry’s House, 25, 24K Magic, because they are the safe option. I mean I literally studied Lemonade’s cultural impact and references to history in my African-American history class at university. Self-titled changed the way albums were released forever. I can’t say that many of the AOTY winners of the past decade have influenced culture or the music industry in a similar way.

Edited by Iridesence

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovett

• Pleighboy

• slw84

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a terrible album, but it was more deserving than Harry’s (or Adele’s). 

I don’t think Bey deserved it but neither did Harry. There were albums more successful, acclaimed and culturally impactful than those two which proves that the Grammys can’t be taken seriously.

Yes absolutely. It packages 2000s popstar Beyoncé with 2010s Beyoncé's purposeful thematic albums.

Harry's House is a dragging attempt at a Prince/MJ album with none of the charm nor pop sensibilities. If anything, Special by Lizzo deserved AOTY more by virtue of it embodying a meta narrative of poptimism Harry's House lacked.

Harry's House is literally just a rehash of Fine Line with less smashes.

Renaissance based on simply the album itself bar visuals, impact, etc. is one of the most worthy AOTY nominations. Decent commercial power, critically acclaimed, multi genre appeal with the strongest hooks in recent pop music.

15 minutes ago, Iridesence said:

It absolutely did. She’s deserved it all times she’s been nominated except for IASF imo, but the Grammys have been very out of touch for quite some time now and we constantly see albums that make big waves or changes within the industry, culture and the genres they respectfully reside in (TPAB by Kendrick Lamar, Blonde by Frank Ocean and ofc all three of the latest Beyoncé solo albums), get snubbed for cookie cutter Pop albums, eg. Harry’s House, 25, 24K Magic, because they are the safe option. I mean I literally studied Lemonade’s cultural impact and references to history in my African-American history class at university. Self-titled changed the way albums were released forever. I can’t say that many of the AOTY winners of the past decade have influenced culture or the music industry in a similar way.

Not to derail the topic but TPAB by Kendrick as impactful as it was is trounced by the sheer dominance 1989 had during its reign.

1989 is ubiquitously the biggest era across the board throughout the 2010s, Diamond album multiple Diamond singles, decently acclaimed, massive tour, biggest celebrity overall during her time, no album was ever going to surpass its ubiquity.

2nd most deserving after Brandi’s album, so yes. The winner was the 2nd least deserving but at least it’s not the utmost worst outcome…

11 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

No, sadly.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d764659d385688346442

who is the person in this gif saying the quoted? Is that Diplo?

4 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

who is the person in this gif saying the quoted? Is that Diplo?

He'saying something like "...mother" not what the gif Say.

34 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

Not to derail the topic but TPAB by Kendrick as impactful as it was is trounced by the sheer dominance 1989 had during its reign.

1989 is ubiquitously the biggest era across the board throughout the 2010s, Diamond album multiple Diamond singles, decently acclaimed, massive tour, biggest celebrity overall during her time, no album was ever going to surpass its ubiquity.

I do agree that 1989 is a monster album, however I included TPAB because it fits in with other albums that have been snubbed for similar reasons.

A big fat No, but it’s better than Harry’s Shack.  MOTOMAMI deserved.

Oh gosh this racism card is getting tired, everytime someone don't like Beyoncé Is racist. Booooring. And it's also a tame accusation since She wasn't even political for like First 15 years of her career.

Grammys are not racist cause she's black...Natalie Cole, Michael Jackson, prince , Stevie wonder (3x times), lauryn Hill and so many others POC won the same award 

Academy can be racist in a more subtle way ..they don't understand a certain new musical culture that has definitely its roots in black culture .. so they are not still giving  to this new wave of music made by Kanye, kendrick or Beyoncé the same credibily or credit they give to Classic soul, r'n'b, funk and other genres.

This Is way lizzo can win ROTY with her Song while bey can't (but She made It with singles ladies).

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, Archetype said:

A big fat No, but it’s better than Harry’s Shack.  MOTOMAMI deserved.

True but compared to the rest of the nominees, bey's album was clearly the best/most experimental.

yeah

even though like i said in the other thread i'm not the biggest fan of it, Beyoncé deserved AOTY for at least one of her past three solo albums (self-titled is my fav of those, ugh that album deserved all the acclaim it got and MORE :chick3:)

in my ideal world, DNWMIBIY, SOS, or And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow would've been eligible (even though two of them were past the cutoff date), and one of those three would've won AOTY :giraffe: but of the nominated, for all its acclaim and cultural ubiquity (not to mention some great pop music on there) Renaissance definitely was the one that deserved to win

Brandi, Beyoncé, and Bad Bunny were the most deserving three out of the nominees, but I wouldn’t say that Beyoncé deserved it any more or less than either of them did. 

I would have accepted an ABBA win, too, even though it would have been a bit ridiculous. 

No, it should be ABBA.

Yes, I very much believe it did. It's the best album of the bunch and absolutely deserved to be awarded as such. But we all knew she wasn't winning, so I'm not even remotely surprised. I wonder if we'll reach 30 years before a black woman is awarded in the category.

Renaissance as an album didn't deserve it. But Beyoncé deserved it because of the narrative. It's time they give it to her already. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.