Did Gaga ruin her chances of being the new Madonna?

MadMax12

Gaga ended up paving her own way and her career is really fascinating now that she is a successful actress as well. That said, I get what you mean. She sort of picked up the habit of giving up on her projects half way through and I feel like she lost a lot of her confidence. You can see it in how she became such a kindness punk as almost like a shield to protect herself from criticism and stuff. She lost her fiery side but I'm just happy she is still killing it in her own way and that she branched out

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjang

• GlamSlam

• Chris

• MadOnHer

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

A sold out tour, the last album released just happens to be the best selling remix album of the decade, etc? Yeah poor her

Yeah, she is successful but no one wants to be the next her. Just as successful or maybe just successful.

I just don't understand after all of these years why we continue to compare the two when their careers went into vastly different artistic directions.

I don't think she ever wanted to be the new Madonna. She's Lady Gaga. Nobody will replicate Madonna, and nobody will replicate Lady Gaga. This idea of an artist being the "new" -insert artist name- is a concept entirely invented in the minds of stans.

34 minutes ago, IWantASoda35 said:

she surpassed Madonna :coffee2:

This user is telling a HUGE LIE.

she is the new cher (the amount of face procedures matches)

HausofNick

Yea don’t think Madonna ever had depression 

Because she realized doing what Madge did for 3 consecutive decades is simply too creatively demanding for her. Madonna was still reinventing herself at this point in her career. Gaga has become a caricature of her past artistic identity for at least 8 years now. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Why would anyone wanna be the new Madonna? 

Gaga herself has tens of quotes implying she basically wants to continue Madonna’s legacy :rip:

23 minutes ago, DiamondHoe said:

The idea of “the next …” is something only ever applied to female artists. Its very bizzare

bruno and the weeknd are described as “honouring” or being “inspired by” MJ for instance. But no one dared call them a clone or “the next…”. But how often is Gaga called the next madonna, Ariana the next Mariah, doja the next Nicki, Billie the next Lorde etc. It reeks of sexism and the notion that women can only be successful if mimicking the one anomaly that slipped the net 

ot: no, Gaga was never the “next” anyone 

Good grief...where the hell did you get that from? This insufferable notion is very much applied to male artists as well - very frequently. You obviously won't see this discussion in places focused primarily on female artists, but trust me, I have witnessed it on several circles, especially around Twitter and forum communities.

Justin Timberlake definitely had his fair share of MJ comparisons when he first started, especially during the "Justified" era. Chris Brown was presented as the next Usher at first, and when 2009 happened, many thought Jason Derulo's success was an attempt to offer a less problematic replacement to him. Bruno Mars is always being accused of copying older acts both in terms of music and stage presence, being labelled a tribute act countless times (an insult no pop girl has ever gotten to this extent). And you're painfully naive if you think The Weeknd hasn't been portrayed as a MJ ripoff by ignorant detractors - which still happens to this day, whereas the Mariah comparisons for Ariana immediately died down following the "Dangerous Woman" era, for instance.

Every few months on Twitter there's some viral discourse surrounding which artist is the 'next Michael Jackson', or was closest to reaching his level, always featuring comments discrediting the 'contenders'. I'm not too familiar with the hip hop scene, but I'm sure there are similar debates as well, especially with overhyping of artists to the point it's borderline setting them up to failure. A good example is Jack Harlow being presented as the 'next Drake', only for his album to be widely panned everywhere.

Shawn Mendes got the 'next Justin Bieber' comparisons at first. MIKA was another one set up to fail when he was being portrayed as the next Freddie Mercury because of his theatrical style and falsetto. And the less said about both Justin Timberlake and Harry Styles being crowned 'the new King of Pop' by Rolling Stone, the better. 

22 minutes ago, Punky Rooster said:

She was never and will never be anywhere close to being in the same league as Madonna. 

11 minutes ago, God_Donna said:

Yea don’t think Madonna ever had depression 

5 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Because she realized doing what Madge did for 3 consecutive decades is simply too creatively demanding for her. Madonna was still reinventing herself at this point in her career. Gaga has become a caricature of her past artistic identity for at least 8 years now. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Why would anyone wanna be the new Madonna? 

1 hour ago, Rino said:

she ruined her chance to become the new Madonna when she was praised and got Oscar nominated for her role in ASIB :jonnycat:

1 hour ago, Pop said:

Being “the new Madonna” might have been desirable in the 00s, but we are in 2020’s now and nowadays nobody wants to end up like her. 

55 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

This tells you everything… 

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, IWantASoda35 said:

she surpassed Madonna :coffee2:

42 minutes ago, magazine said:

Thank god she didn't ruin her career!

Famous People Drinking Tea | Lady gaga, Tea, Shady

Yes she did. Her massive ego during BTW/Artpop destroyed any relevance she had as a solo artist, which explains why her solo work does horrible in the charts.

Recent successful work has only came from working with more relevant and bigger artists than her (Ariana, Bradley, BlackPink, Tony Bennett) :swan:

Edited by Stan.killah

56 minutes ago, Chika said:

Only delulus ever thought she would rival Madonna in any way. She had a cute debut but her career rapidly nosedived into the pits of hell after BTW. The music quality was never at Madonna's level and only plummeted further with each subsequent release; the visuals had no real substance and were only propped up by empty theatrics that quickly wore thin; her performing ability never compared and the sales definitely did her no favours. GaGa wasn't a Madonna reborn so much as she was a hollow echo of the original.

I love this fanfiction can you write some more alternate universe stories for other pop girls? :WAP:

OT: Gaga and Madonna are very different. Madonna’s strength is as a creative/provocateur and Gaga’s is as a performer. Gaga used to align herself with music producers and CDs who made her look like Madonna, now she doesn’t. The singles are still hitting and her non-music projects are usually smash successes because her appeal was never her similarity to Madonna. It was always in her ability to play a character and back it up with excellent musical talent.

Gaga’s on track to be by far the biggest girlie to ever exist in her lane as an a-list triple threat.

Edited by Century

25 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

Good grief...where the hell did you get that from? This insufferable notion is very much applied to male artists as well - very frequently. You obviously won't see this discussion in places focused primarily on female artists, but trust me, I have witnessed it on several circles, especially around Twitter and forum communities.

Justin Timberlake definitely had his fair share of MJ comparisons when he first started, especially during the "Justified" era. Chris Brown was presented as the next Usher at first, and when 2009 happened, many thought Jason Derulo's success was an attempt to offer a less problematic replacement to him. Bruno Mars is always being accused of copying older acts both in terms of music and stage presence, being labelled a tribute act countless times (an insult no pop girl has ever gotten to this extent). And you're painfully naive if you think The Weeknd hasn't been portrayed as a MJ ripoff by ignorant detractors - which still happens to this day, whereas the Mariah comparisons for Ariana immediately died down following the "Dangerous Woman" era, for instance.

Every few months on Twitter there's some viral discourse surrounding which artist is the 'next Michael Jackson', or was closest to reaching his level, always featuring comments discrediting the 'contenders'. I'm not too familiar with the hip hop scene, but I'm sure there are similar debates as well, especially with overhyping of artists to the point it's borderline setting them up to failure. A good example is Jack Harlow being presented as the 'next Drake', only for his album to be widely panned everywhere.

Shawn Mendes got the 'next Justin Bieber' comparisons at first. MIKA was another one set up to fail when he was being portrayed as the next Freddie Mercury because of his theatrical style and falsetto. And the less said about both Justin Timberlake and Harry Styles being crowned 'the new King of Pop' by Rolling Stone, the better. 

Bestie I ain’t reading this essay.

ot: Gaga ≠ madonna

Gaga created her own lane she surpassed Madonna at doing things outside of music imo. She has something many pop girls have tried and failed to do and that’s acting. Gaga imo is closer to being the Cher/Barbara of the new generation but she already on track of surpassing both as well. In the next 7 years I truly think Gaga will be a new gold standard and she will be the one everyone will try to imitate she will be a true certified triple threat legend. Pop girls who not only command the stage but also rule the acting and business scene.

4 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Gaga created her own lane she surpassed Madonna at doing things outside of music imo. She has something many pop girls have tried and failed to do and that’s acting. Gaga imo is closer to being the Cher/Barbara of the new generation but she already on track of surpassing both as well. In the next 7 years I truly think Gaga will be a new gold standard and she will be the one everyone will try to imitate she will be a true certified triple threat legend. Pop girls who not only command the stage but also rule the acting and business scene.

Please tell me this post was sarcasm? :skull:

56 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Taylor is the new Madonna, i fear.

Panned acting career and all

6tdBjtY.gif

OT: Gaga has moved past the Madonna comparisons for over a decade now. Gaga paved her own way with Jazz music and a succesful acting career these past few years. Anyone who can't recognize that is either biased or delusional.

Madonna was improving her music with each album release, her fifth studio album, Erotica, it's her most risky body of work, an amazing and iconic record. GaGa's fifth album was chromatica...

Lady Gaga certainly played at being Madonna, but ultimately she didn't have the balls to follow through when the going got tough!

5 minutes ago, JennyWayne said:

Panned acting career and all

6tdBjtY.gif

OT: Gaga has moved past the Madonna comparisons for over a decade now. Gaga paved her own way with Jazz music and a succesful acting career these past few years. Anyone who can't recognize that is either biased or delusional.

Okay, have fun clinging to ASIB and Ariana Grande. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.