Madonna - The Celebration Tour | Salma Hayek is the last Vogue judge

Sergi91

One of her best shows ever. The setlist is a perfect balance of deeper cuts and hits. Some of the tired workhorse songs she’s beaten to death are gone (thank GOD there’s no Music). The staging is creative, complex, and innovative. This is such a lovely retrospective of her career. There’s some opening night bugs but it’ll get ironed out as she goes.

This is exactly the show I wanted. There was no way the setlist was gonna please all but she gave so much that there’s something there for all to enjoy. 

I don’t see the messiness some people here do, I see a party and a celebration of all the things that make her great. We didn’t need more super highly thematic themed acts, it’s gotten so tired. Oh look another sex segment. Oh look another latin segment. Its overdone. 

This approach is much more exciting and unpredictable. 

• Like 9

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• tiagol88

• Alongoria13

• Hiatus

3 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

Maybe. But not hers. I don’t have a problem with visuals or setlist. Some of my favorite songs are not there, whatever, choices had to be made I get it. But why the songs that already are there got mostly rushed treatment and weird sequencing? Maybe it works better live, I don’t know, the most important thing is that people who went there apparently had fun and that’s what matters. What is being posted here doesn’t matter that much, it’s just people venting based on the crappy livestream. Not that serious 

I also wasn't complaining about your personal reception. There were people panning the show through huge sections of the livestream. :thing:

Anyway I somewhat agree about the sequencing. I feel like the sound issues threw off the pacing though and it'll be better going forward(we already know that at the very least that Sorry was cut and the disco section was a little dry, for example).

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

The show has been over already.

:deadbanana2:

You know what I meant :bibliahh:

Material Girl is one of my least favorite Madonna classics so I’m fine with it being left out, unpopular opinion but ***** I said what I said I’d rather hear Music instead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, holyground13 said:

She started on time (a few minutes early even it seemed) and yes served energy and great vocals from what I could hear. It's also beautifully visually.

April can’t come soon enough 

:jonny:

• Like 1

I honestly can't get over what a major return to form this show looks like. I feel like it's 2008 again.

• Like 4

the staging :jonnycat: those synths on into the groove :jonny5:

18 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I have to wonder if some of the people complaining in here about a "lack of hits" are American. Remember that Madonna had more hits in other territories that didn't do as well or aren't as well remembered in the US.

Nothing Really Matters and Bedtime Stories, for example, were Top 10 hits in the UK and other European countries.

Actually yeah I'm American hehe. Maybe she will switch it up a bit for the US dates. True Blue is played like mad on the 80s/90s radio stations. 

screaming at her relegating  the LAV album to interludes  :deadbanana4: kind of surprised since it seemed like she was warming up to Material girl :dies: at least she acknowledged angel in some capacity :'( 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, She-Rah said:

All of those songs have recent performances 

Where are these “recent” performances of TPOG, PDP, EY, TAB and 4 Minutes? :deadbanana:

• Thanks 1

she hates Material Girl. y'all are crazy to think she was going to sing it :deadbanana2:

the set list looks great and features many big hits. she was never going to please everyone because there was simply too much to fit into one show. you're adults, you should've expected this... some of you sound so entitled and childish complaining that she didn't sing your favourite song. 

9 minutes ago, Hey Dude said:

Actually yeah I'm American hehe. Maybe she will switch it up a bit for the US dates. True Blue is played like mad on the 80s/90s radio stations. 

I'm American, so I get it. There are certain songs that stick out to us because of how we remember Madonna's peak. It's insane to me that Angel has been paid dust since the Virgin Tour and wasn't even released on the home video. I used to hear that song constantly on the radio when I still lived in the US.

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

She didn't even sing Erotica.

It was just an interlude.

huh? i think she did

Take A Bow is a boring bland song that was rightfully excluded. Americans can stay mad about it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

I'm considering buying a ticket to the second Cologne show. I took both days off of work...

It feels like Madonna is finally back and the last ten years never happened.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Hold Tight, Sorry and Oh Father, as we hinted on our previous videos, were cut from the opening night, but it is possible they were omitted due to a technical problem at the O2; we surely hope to hear some of those very soon

From Drowned Madonna.

42 minutes ago, lgaga1fan said:

Everybody, Into the Groove, Burning Up, Open Your Heart, Holiday, Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Hung Up, VOGUE, Crazy For You, Die Another Day, La Isla Bonita, Ray Of Light are all hits in their own right.... (and this doesnt include the motifs and elements of several OTHER hits in the setlist). 

Compare this setlist to recent tours:

Gaga (who ALWAYS does most of if not all her hits): Bad Romance, Poker Face, Just Dance, Telephone, Love Game, Born This Way, Shallow, Always Remember Us This Way, The Edge of Glory, Stupid Love, Rain On Me

Beyonce: Cuff It, Break My Soul, Formation, Diva, Run the World, Savage, Get Me Bodied, Love On Top, Crazy In Love, Naughty Girl

Madge did a standard amount of hits. She just happens to have SO many that some had to be cut in order to tell and execute the story she wanted to tell. I feel that its pretty disingenuous to expect Madonna to only do hits especially when thats not her gig in the first place, and especially when acts like Beyonce and Gaga aren't doing it either. The MAJORITY of Madge's setlist are hit singles and half of the "deep cuts" were fully serviced singles as well. And Madonna shouldn't even need to be compared to more contemporary artists in this vein considering she has a career double or four times as long as their and has a plethora more hits and singles that she needs to choose from. she's also almost 70 years old, she's quite literally in her own lane when it comes to serving up a tour like this. 

Sorry I shouldn't have used the word hits, I just feel the setlist is missing a lot of songs I would personally want to hear, and is full of songs that I don't know/like, being a casual fan. 

Anyhow I don't think it's right to compare a tour that was marketed as a Greatest Hits show to two tours that were in support of a specific album :rip:

1 hour ago, Hurem said:

Oh I love hits like Mother and Father and Bad Girl! I'm glad she left out her unknown songs like Material Girl, Frozen, or 4 Minutes.

How will you ever recover from this? :hug:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I'm not happy when I act this way.

:WAP:

:jonny3:

If she had only done the big hits this wouldn't exist. Imagine wanting Music or 4 Minutes instead of this :jonny6:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.