Madonna - The Celebration Tour | More Than 1.5 Million People @ Mega-Concert in Rio

Sergi91

My mom saw Madonna years ago and said it was a horrible show because she didn't know any of the songs and I sent over this setlist and she seems pretty excited about going so I feel like this works for more general public. Madge is celebrating her career and her peers in a beautiful looking show that's retrospective without feeling as overtly unappealing as some of her shows in the past. She still has the strong political elements and amazing outfits and has elevated her stage design, presence and vocals to make up for her dance moves and difficulties with health. This looks like a great time.:gaygacat5:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• tiagol88

• Alongoria13

• Hiatus

24 minutes ago, Hurem said:

This is such a stupid take on the situation. We paid (a lot) for the show that was promoted as the greatest hits tour and we have every right to be disappointed. It is so idiotic of you to think that we need to stan anything she serves us just because she's 65 or had a near death experience. 

It is absolutely hilarious how you will see certain users in here claim the setlist is full of hits and then list a dozen songs :toofunny3:

Into the Groove

Open Your Heart

Holiday

Live to Tell

Hung Up

Rain

Ray of Light

Die Another Day

Erotica
Like a Prayer

Justify My Love

Vogue
Crazy for You

Don't Tell Me

La Isla Bonita

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

...I'm sorry, how is this not enough for you?

And we're going to be real, we could easily include Burning Up here.

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

she is sitting on a stool watching her dancers. no. 

So do you understand what the role of the mother of the house is in a drag ball or no? 

Will there be HQ images on Getty for this? I assume she let them in since it’s a big scale tour lol

I need to see better pics, she looked amazing it seems

Edited by Holiest Dreams
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, wowsignal14 said:

this is a show crafted for her dir hard fans that are so deep in her lore. but it was marketed as a tour that celebrates her career and hits and that's why people are disappointed.... like wdym a madonna greatest hits tour without material girl in it .... it's insane

It's very die-hard. half of it is from Erotica/American life/10s

anyways she really could have cut out a few interludes and deep cuts to include like 3-4 ABSOLUTE NECESSARY songs and it would have been fine stop it with the "she has too many songs" "are these hits not enough for you" excuses :deadbanana4: frozen, music and 4 minutes at the very least are ESSENTIALS. no one needs to hear burning up or don't tell me 

• Like 2

I have to wonder if some of the people complaining in here about a "lack of hits" are American. Remember that Madonna had more hits in other territories that didn't do as well or aren't as well remembered in the US.

Nothing Really Matters and Bedtime Stories, for example, were Top 10 hits in the UK and other European countries.

• Like 1

They need to do something about whatever the hell that is that’s ruining visibility :giraffe:

All this thread is teaching me is that truly excellent pop shows are a dying ******* breed because they need to be made to appease people watching instagram livestreams of the first show or else it'll get panned to death. She should have used the ******* phone pouches again you all look out of touch and UNGRATEFUL. :deadbanana4:

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, ChapelHooker said:

like… i’m here for her doing deep cuts that never got their chance to shine BUT… she has too many actual Greatest Hits that are going to be missing from the… Greatest Hits Tour

It isn’t a greatest hits tour though. Despite that terminology in the announcement video, it’s since been made clear many times this is more of a career retrospective and is not meant to be the hits and going home. The whole purpose was to do some hits alongside some forgotten classics. There’s so much more to her catalogue than Music and Material Girl. Glad they’re gone tbh. 

2 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

frozen, music and 4 minutes

She's done Music on DWT, RIT, S&ST, MDNAT, and the Superbowl, though. It's overplayed.

Frozen was on the last tour, and nobody wants to hear that TikTok remix mess.

4 Minutes... I'll give you that. It would have been nice to have some Hard Candy material here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The7thStranger said:

I have to wonder if some of the people complaining in here about a "lack of hits" are American. Remember that Madonna had more hits in other territories that didn't do as well or aren't as well remembered in the US.

Nothing Really Matters and Bedtime Stories, for example, were Top 10 hits in the UK and other European countries.

Exactly. Looking at the usa top 10 from billboard and saying she didn’t include enough hits is stupid. Stuff like Rain were legit top 10 hits in other places

• Like 1

Just now, HotFriedChicken said:

I'm glad I didn't get a ticket, as a casual fan I needed to hear the hits and they just aren't there :emofish:

Everybody, Into the Groove, Burning Up, Open Your Heart, Holiday, Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Hung Up, VOGUE, Crazy For You, Die Another Day, La Isla Bonita, Ray Of Light are all hits in their own right.... (and this doesnt include the motifs and elements of several OTHER hits in the setlist). 

Compare this setlist to recent tours:

Gaga (who ALWAYS does most of if not all her hits): Bad Romance, Poker Face, Just Dance, Telephone, Love Game, Born This Way, Shallow, Always Remember Us This Way, The Edge of Glory, Stupid Love, Rain On Me

Beyonce: Cuff It, Break My Soul, Formation, Diva, Run the World, Savage, Get Me Bodied, Love On Top, Crazy In Love, Naughty Girl

Madge did a standard amount of hits. She just happens to have SO many that some had to be cut in order to tell and execute the story she wanted to tell. I feel that its pretty disingenuous to expect Madonna to only do hits especially when thats not her gig in the first place, and especially when acts like Beyonce and Gaga aren't doing it either. The MAJORITY of Madge's setlist are hit singles and half of the "deep cuts" were fully serviced singles as well. And Madonna shouldn't even need to be compared to more contemporary artists in this vein considering she has a career double or four times as long as their and has a plethora more hits and singles that she needs to choose from. she's also almost 70 years old, she's quite literally in her own lane when it comes to serving up a tour like this. 

• Like 1

If you would have told me a month ago that this setlist was going to be 3 or 4 songs short of the absolute perfect career retrospective of the biggest career in music history and people would be COMPLAINING I would have said you need some crazy pills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

All this thread is teaching me is that truly excellent pop shows are a dying ******* breed because they need to be made to appease people watching instagram livestreams of the first show or else it'll get panned to death. She should have used the ******* phone pouches again you all look out of touch and UNGRATEFUL. :deadbanana4:

Sure because ATRL members opinions are always being read by the production teams of all big pop tours and that’s how they are made :mummy:

2 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

Sure because ATRL members opinions are always being read by the production teams of all big pop tours and that’s how they are made :mummy:

stan discourse has an enormous impact on the music industry at this point and a lot of those narratives are started on websites like this :mummy:

There are certain megatours that do NOT give what a Madonna show gives and were created for social media engagement but let me keep it cute.

Edited by Sheep
  • Thanks 1

I thought she was starting in America and missed the opening night premiere :jonny3:

• Haha 1

Anyone got a shitty livestream link :thing:

• Haha 1

Just now, Katamari said:

The show has been over already.

:deadbanana2:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Katamari said:

This cuts off a few songs before the end and the opening is mainly just staring at the roof but the majority is okay on this one.

Edited by Sheep
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

stan discourse has an enormous impact on the music industry at this point and a lot of those narratives are started on websites like this :mummy:

There are certain megatours that do NOT give what a Madonna show gives and were created for social media engagement but let me keep it cute.

Maybe. But not hers. I don’t have a problem with visuals or setlist. Some of my favorite songs are not there, whatever, choices had to be made I get it. But why the songs that already are there got mostly rushed treatment and weird sequencing? Maybe it works better live, I don’t know, the most important thing is that people who went there apparently had fun and that’s what matters. What is being posted here doesn’t matter that much, it’s just people venting based on the crappy livestream. Not that serious 

• Like 1

One of her best shows ever. The setlist is a perfect balance of deeper cuts and hits. Some of the tired workhorse songs she’s beaten to death are gone (thank GOD there’s no Music). The staging is creative, complex, and innovative. This is such a lovely retrospective of her career. There’s some opening night bugs but it’ll get ironed out as she goes.

This is exactly the show I wanted. There was no way the setlist was gonna please all but she gave so much that there’s something there for all to enjoy. 

I don’t see the messiness some people here do, I see a party and a celebration of all the things that make her great. We didn’t need more super highly thematic themed acts, it’s gotten so tired. Oh look another sex segment. Oh look another latin segment. Its overdone. 

This approach is much more exciting and unpredictable. 

• Like 9

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.