Kesha - 'Gag Order'

josesuxx

I can't help but share my thoughts on the experience. It was an absolute delight to be among the first to hear the highly anticipated album.

Spoiler

Kesha has always been renowned for her energetic and empowering pop anthems, and her latest album, "Gag Order," further solidifies her position as a formidable presence in the music industry. With this album, Kesha demonstrates her evolution as an artist while remaining true to her distinctive style and infectious charisma.

One of the most remarkable aspects of "Gag Order" is its production. The tracks are expertly crafted, seamlessly blending a diverse range of genres to create a fresh and dynamic sound. Kesha's vocals are as captivating as ever, effortlessly carrying each song and conveying a wide range of emotions. This album primarily focuses on vulnerability and introspection, allowing listeners to connect with Kesha on a deeper level.

In conclusion, "Gag Order" is a resounding triumph for Kesha, showcasing her growth as an artist and her ability to create music that deeply resonates with listeners.

Edited by Edgy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• CroNich

• SmittenCake

• josesuxx

13 minutes ago, Edgy said:

I can't help but share my thoughts on the experience. It was an absolute delight to be among the first to hear the highly anticipated album.

Reveal hidden contents

Kesha has always been renowned for her energetic and empowering pop anthems, and her latest album, "Gag Order," further solidifies her position as a formidable presence in the music industry. With this album, Kesha demonstrates her evolution as an artist while remaining true to her distinctive style and infectious charisma.

One of the most remarkable aspects of "Gag Order" is its production. The tracks are expertly crafted, seamlessly blending a diverse range of genres to create a fresh and dynamic sound. Kesha's vocals are as captivating as ever, effortlessly carrying each song and conveying a wide range of emotions. This album primarily focuses on vulnerability and introspection, allowing listeners to connect with Kesha on a deeper level.

In conclusion, "Gag Order" is a resounding triumph for Kesha, showcasing her growth as an artist and her ability to create music that deeply resonates with listeners.

Any albums out there that the experience reminded you of sonically that we can draw as reference to what to expect?

7 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Any albums out there that the experience reminded you of sonically that we can draw as reference to what to expect?

Out of her own discography, it is almost as if it were a long-lost cousin to Rainbow.

It is challenging to compare, but one could almost say that this is her own interpretation of Taylor Swift's 'Midnights'.

I'm so glad I'm back right in time for the album release. It was grueling to watch y'all react to ETA and Fine Line real time. :sosad:

The visuals. The concept. The sound. The Rick Rubin co-sign. The rollout. This is everything I've ever wanted from a K era since she dropped Warrior.

I remember talking with my good judy @collin years back about how excited we'd be if Kesha experimented with a more downtown electronic sound and I can't believe we're actually getting something in that vein, let alone something produced alongside Rubin, Hudson Mohawke, and creative directed by Bryan Roettinger. 

Eat The Acid is a masterpiece. Easily Top 10 in her discography. It wasn't as instant for me, but oh my god I probably listen to it 10 times a day at this point. This is something so few mainstream artists dare create. It challenges then rewards you... the last minute is what I imagine god-fearing christians hear when the rapture begins. Fine Line was more instant melodically for me (the production is god tier), but the lyrics are really hard to digest given what we all know about the situation. I imagine it will strike a bigger chord with people who aren't as close to her legal battle (which will be incredible for her!) I do wish it had a "beat drop" but then I started to question why I'd even want that in a song that's so clearly personal, and I was able to reframe my thinking on it. Still, I play it less than ETA by a long shot. 

While I wish we got "music videos" I don't mind the visualizers. Eat The Acid's video is engaging enough to watch all the way through -- Fine Line not so much, but still incredible and mind-blowing. ETA is also incredibly thought-provoking and a great move from a marketing standpoint. 

I love that she's opening up about her "forced happiness" surrounding Animal and her revisit of that sound for High Road. I think that's why so many of us had a disconnect with that era -- it really did feel forced and I'm glad she's speaking on it. Her quote about always loving Animal and how nobody can ever take it from her. And how her old self is "dead"... 

I played both for some friends, and a handful of my friends LOVED ETA before I even shared it with them. This is her "art not the charts" era but I really wouldn't be shocked if this brought her back into the mainstream on its merit and artistry alone. 

We're SO ******* back girls! I can't believe this is what follows the High Road era. I really never thought it would happen. 

Finally @gettsleazy is back to readjust some of the questionable takes I've seen on this era within the last days! 

A comeback :jonny5: 

10 minutes ago, gettsleazy said:

I'm so glad I'm back right in time for the album release. It was grueling to watch y'all react to ETA and Fine Line real time. :sosad:

The visuals. The concept. The sound. The Rick Rubin co-sign. The rollout. This is everything I've ever wanted from a K era since she dropped Warrior.

I remember talking with my good judy @collin years back about how excited we'd be if Kesha experimented with a more downtown electronic sound and I can't believe we're actually getting something in that vein, let alone something produced alongside Rubin, Hudson Mohawke, and creative directed by Bryan Roettinger. 

Eat The Acid is a masterpiece. Easily Top 10 in her discography. It wasn't as instant for me, but oh my god I probably listen to it 10 times a day at this point. This is something so few mainstream artists dare create. It challenges then rewards you... the last minute is what I imagine god-fearing christians hear when the rapture begins. Fine Line was more instant melodically for me (the production is god tier), but the lyrics are really hard to digest given what we all know about the situation. I imagine it will strike a bigger chord with people who aren't as close to her legal battle (which will be incredible for her!) I do wish it had a "beat drop" but then I started to question why I'd even want that in a song that's so clearly personal, and I was able to reframe my thinking on it. Still, I play it less than ETA by a long shot. 

While I wish we got "music videos" I don't mind the visualizers. Eat The Acid's video is engaging enough to watch all the way through -- Fine Line not so much, but still incredible and mind-blowing. ETA is also incredibly thought-provoking and a great move from a marketing standpoint. 

I love that she's opening up about her "forced happiness" surrounding Animal and her revisit of that sound for High Road. I think that's why so many of us had a disconnect with that era -- it really did feel forced and I'm glad she's speaking on it. Her quote about always loving Animal and how nobody can ever take it from her. And how her old self is "dead"... 

I played both for some friends, and a handful of my friends LOVED ETA before I even shared it with them. This is her "art not the charts" era but I really wouldn't be shocked if this brought her back into the mainstream on its merit and artistry alone. 

We're SO ******* back girls! I can't believe this is what follows the High Road era. I really never thought it would happen. 

:clap3: 

33 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Finally @gettsleazy is back to readjust some of the questionable takes I've seen on this era within the last days! 

A comeback :jonny5: 

You've been carrying lately, but some of the takes I've been seeing... whew. That one Kim/Kesha hybrid user dedicating an entire page to "it'S mY oPiNiOn" shitposting and everyone in here shutting them down.

Like if you can't see that this is objectively her peak artistically (thus far) I feel SO bad for you dndndnndndngn. 

1 minute ago, gettsleazy said:

You've been carrying lately, but some of the takes I've been seeing... whew. That one Kim/Kesha hybrid user dedicating an entire page to "it'S mY oPiNiOn" shitposting and everyone in here shutting them down.

Like if you can't see that this is objectively her peak artistically (thus far) I feel SO bad for you dndndnndndngn. 

For some reason there is like 10% of her listener base that insists on posting that they miss her old music (it has been over a decade) every time she rolls out an era. :rip: Ok grandma let’s get you to bed 

Just now, collin said:

Ok grandma let’s get you to bed 

:ahh:

1 hour ago, Junlin said:

A visualizer for each track?:WAP:

1 minute ago, Fifteen said:

A visualizer for each track?:WAP:

I hope not :rip: Unless we get at least one music video.

1 minute ago, collin said:

For some reason there is like 10% of her listener base that insists on posting that they miss her old music (it has been over a decade) every time she rolls out an era. :rip: Ok grandma let’s get you to bed 

:skull: It's so baffling to me but then I remember this is the same forum that thinks something like Alone is a good song. I cannot fathom listening to this A/B single and thinking "wow I wish she was making music like Animal!" Worms! This makes her pop music, even the great stuff, look like child's play. It's a whole other ballpark for her that I don't think many of us even thought she'd go for.

3 minutes ago, collin said:

Yeah I'm really hoping Only Love gets a video treatment. Seems like they're pushing it as the "formal" lead.

5 minutes ago, collin said:

I really want a video but i'm not getting my hopes up:gaycat7:

1 minute ago, gettsleazy said:

Yeah I'm really hoping Only Love gets a video treatment. Seems like they're pushing it as the "formal" lead.

Same i hope they push that one

Edited by Fifteen

Rainbow was an absolutely amazing step in the right direction. Such a brilliant record.  Unfortunately, she destroyed all that with the highroad terrible album that took her several steps backwards..

I’m praying this new album will get her back on track but sadly the two songs I’ve heard so far are so bad that I am unsure If she can recapture the magic she did with rainbow….

Definitely don’t want to jump the gun just yet but i am excited to beat the rest of the album. 

I feel like I am the only fan of pop music that genuinely thinks High Road is Kesha's 2nd best album behind Rainbow. If you liked Animal/Cannibal Kesha, you get that, but the production is way better and doesn't sound as dated as her previous projects. 

I am not a Kesha stan, and I have some pretty honest and (at times) controversial take on music, but I would encourage those that detested High Road to give it another listen. You might be surprised how much you like it listening to it now. 

8 hours ago, CroNich said:

It’s definitely a stand out on an incredible album so potentially but there’s at least 3-4 songs on there that I could see being SOTY quality

just judging by your description, I think that one could end up being my favorite!

very excited, just a little over a week left :duca:

3 hours ago, Junlin said:

I am so excited about all the visuals :jonny4:

17 hours ago, CroNich said:

I have some thoughts to share: 

Reveal hidden contents

Disclaimer: Please don't take any of this as bible, I only got to hear each song once and they were played straight after one another and I didn't get to hear the interludes.

• Its really hard to say just how good this album is yet. While upon the first listen it was very evident that this is by far her best body of work ever, I think the true magic of each song will take several listens to truly appreciate. Meaning while there are a lot of songs that are 'instant', you can tell that they are designed to fall in love with more and more as you listen to the album more. 
  • If you like ETA and Fine Line then you will definitely love this album. If you didn't love them I still think you will really enjoy this album as there is something for everyone. ETA and especially Fine Line are some of the more obscure tracks on the album, and its kind of surprising that she released them first, as there are many others with more instant appeal that aren't straight-up radio friendly hits.
  • Something to Believe in blew me away. I was not expecting that at all. Its ethereal and almost a bit tribal at times I would say, definitely more upbeat than I was expecting and her vocals sounded amazing (it hardly sounded like her tbh)
  • Living in My Head was stunning, very raw and confronting but not necessarily disturbing. I found the lyrics very relatable (as I did with a lot of these songs) and again her vocals are on point here
  • Only Love can Save Us Now is basically what we've heard so far. Its a fun bop, definitely the most simple and generic on the album but I could see it having mainstream appeal and the final chorus is incredible (as we've heard). I do wish it had a bridge or some type of outro just to make the song feel a little less simple structurally.
  • All I Need Is You almost made me cry to be honest. I can't remember much about the song but the vocal layering at some parts is heavenly and its just beautifully written and sung. 
  • The Drama is definitely the most obscure song on the album and maybe one of the strangest songs I've ever heard (not necessarily in a bad way, I could see if having its own cult following). The structure of the song is all over the place and sometimes I think the production was a little too loud over the vocals. The ending is hectic though, so many vocals looped over each other getting more and more chaotic. It kind of gave me bjork meets Kesha vibes.
  • Too Far Gone again was another beautiful ballad. Now that I'm writing this out I may be getting parts of it mixed up with All I Need Is You, maybe this was the track that had the gorgeous vocal layering at the end. Similar sentiments to AINIY, beautifully written and sung.  
  • Peace & Quiet is really interesting. Its definitely more angry/upbeat. I don't remember much but I could tell this song was going to be one of my faves at some point. I can definitely see gen z/tik tok loving this one.
  • Hate Me Harder. Wow. Easily one of my faves. Its definitely a lot more stripped back than the demo but I think it pays off because you really can focus on the lyrics and her vocals. It was the song that made my friend tear up. It feels very powerful and I can tell its gonna be a great one to belt in the car.
  • Happy - I think my memory of each track got worse as the album went on (sorry ADHD) cause I was trying to process so much, but its also fantastic. Definitely more uplifting/folky-rock kind of vibes, feels like a very strong album closer and another song I could see taking off on Tik Tok or whatever if lightning was to strike at the right time. 
  • Overall, I really don't see how this album could end up being a complete bomb. The quality is there; there really is something for everyone but at the same time the album feels really consistent and concise, and lyrically its one of the strongest most relatable albums I've ever listened to. The mixing is definitely a huge step up from High Road. I feel like ETA and The Drama are the only ones where it suffers a little bit. The rest of the album sounds so crisp and gorgeous. Her vocals are the best they've ever sounded.
  • Out of the whole album besides Only Love, I think there is some real commercial potential with Something to Believe In, Peace & Quiet, Hate Me Harder and Happy. While none of them are your run of the mill generic radio friendly tracks, they each feel very current and probably the most digestable but also super unique, whacky and quirky in their own way.

7 hours ago, Edgy said:

Reveal hidden contents

damn! thanks y'all :heart2:

WOW I cannot wait!

Spoiler

sooo Peace & Quiet having an angry vibe... like in a rocky way?

also Something to Believe In, Living in My Head, and All I Need Is You all sound like massive collapses AAAAAAHHHHH :jonny4:

54 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

damn! thanks y'all :heart2:

WOW I cannot wait!

Hide contents

sooo Peace & Quiet having an angry vibe... like in a rocky way?

also Something to Believe In, Living in My Head, and All I Need Is You all sound like massive collapses AAAAAAHHHHH :jonny4:

They are + too far gone hate me harder and happy

I genuinely thought eat the acid was going to be my favourite kesha song ever but it’s lowkey my least favourite on the album. I still like though.

7 hours ago, gettsleazy said:

That one Kim/Kesha hybrid user dedicating an entire page to "it'S mY oPiNiOn" shitposting and everyone in here shutting them down.

Girl... they said her streaming pages are collecting cobwebs due to low interest even from hardcore fans but u worried about me I DONT SUPPORT KIM AND THAT IS WHAT GETSSSSSSS ME

Also her talking about "visual landscape" when we have white walls in a bedroom chairs and plastic bags is sending me

OT: I loved Warrior but I recently rewatched interviews she did during 2012 promoting it and I was surprised to see how she seemed 100% disconnected from the music. In retrospect it is obvious she did not care about those singles at all and it felt like watching an actress play a generic pop star, especially when she was talking about Die Young it was so shallow and she did not gaf, unlike Animal or Rainbow. It is refreshing to see her speak about and promote this new album in this way and she seems very excited so for that we are perched

Edited by cyclone

19 hours ago, CroNich said:

I have some thoughts to share: 

Reveal hidden contents

Disclaimer: Please don't take any of this as bible, I only got to hear each song once and they were played straight after one another and I didn't get to hear the interludes.

• Its really hard to say just how good this album is yet. While upon the first listen it was very evident that this is by far her best body of work ever, I think the true magic of each song will take several listens to truly appreciate. Meaning while there are a lot of songs that are 'instant', you can tell that they are designed to fall in love with more and more as you listen to the album more. 
  • If you like ETA and Fine Line then you will definitely love this album. If you didn't love them I still think you will really enjoy this album as there is something for everyone. ETA and especially Fine Line are some of the more obscure tracks on the album, and its kind of surprising that she released them first, as there are many others with more instant appeal that aren't straight-up radio friendly hits.
  • Something to Believe in blew me away. I was not expecting that at all. Its ethereal and almost a bit tribal at times I would say, definitely more upbeat than I was expecting and her vocals sounded amazing (it hardly sounded like her tbh)
  • Living in My Head was stunning, very raw and confronting but not necessarily disturbing. I found the lyrics very relatable (as I did with a lot of these songs) and again her vocals are on point here
  • Only Love can Save Us Now is basically what we've heard so far. Its a fun bop, definitely the most simple and generic on the album but I could see it having mainstream appeal and the final chorus is incredible (as we've heard). I do wish it had a bridge or some type of outro just to make the song feel a little less simple structurally.
  • All I Need Is You almost made me cry to be honest. I can't remember much about the song but the vocal layering at some parts is heavenly and its just beautifully written and sung. 
  • The Drama is definitely the most obscure song on the album and maybe one of the strangest songs I've ever heard (not necessarily in a bad way, I could see if having its own cult following). The structure of the song is all over the place and sometimes I think the production was a little too loud over the vocals. The ending is hectic though, so many vocals looped over each other getting more and more chaotic. It kind of gave me bjork meets Kesha vibes.
  • Too Far Gone again was another beautiful ballad. Now that I'm writing this out I may be getting parts of it mixed up with All I Need Is You, maybe this was the track that had the gorgeous vocal layering at the end. Similar sentiments to AINIY, beautifully written and sung.  
  • Peace & Quiet is really interesting. Its definitely more angry/upbeat. I don't remember much but I could tell this song was going to be one of my faves at some point. I can definitely see gen z/tik tok loving this one.
  • Hate Me Harder. Wow. Easily one of my faves. Its definitely a lot more stripped back than the demo but I think it pays off because you really can focus on the lyrics and her vocals. It was the song that made my friend tear up. It feels very powerful and I can tell its gonna be a great one to belt in the car.
  • Happy - I think my memory of each track got worse as the album went on (sorry ADHD) cause I was trying to process so much, but its also fantastic. Definitely more uplifting/folky-rock kind of vibes, feels like a very strong album closer and another song I could see taking off on Tik Tok or whatever if lightning was to strike at the right time. 
  • Overall, I really don't see how this album could end up being a complete bomb. The quality is there; there really is something for everyone but at the same time the album feels really consistent and concise, and lyrically its one of the strongest most relatable albums I've ever listened to. The mixing is definitely a huge step up from High Road. I feel like ETA and The Drama are the only ones where it suffers a little bit. The rest of the album sounds so crisp and gorgeous. Her vocals are the best they've ever sounded.
  • Out of the whole album besides Only Love, I think there is some real commercial potential with Something to Believe In, Peace & Quiet, Hate Me Harder and Happy. While none of them are your run of the mill generic radio friendly tracks, they each feel very current and probably the most digestable but also super unique, whacky and quirky in their own way.

Thank you for this! Sounds like the album won’t be as stripped back/ acoustic-sounding as I thought it will be 

7 minutes ago, AnonnonA said:

Thank you for this! Sounds like the album won’t be as stripped back/ acoustic-sounding as I thought it will be 

It doesn’t didn’t come across like an acoustic/stripped back album. Some songs have parts that are really stripped back mixed with parts that are more produced.