• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlamSlam

• luckythisway

• FolkLover1989

• suburbannature

13 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

Rolling Stone didn't mention discographies, and neither did you in your title, yet you still felt the need to deflect by talking about them 13 pages later :redface: I'm not even going to address the other part of your post, so we'll leave it at that.

“In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy” :redface:

Clearly you wouldn’t be able to read what I wrote in the first place, so to each their own :redface:

Edited by luckythisway

Not including CELINE DION is an insult to talent and hardwork. What a trash list.

Imagine not thinking this woman is top 200;

The fact that they choose to sneak Jungkook above Kelly Clarkson and totally ignore THEE Céline Dion easily tells you how invalid that list is lmao

8 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

“In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy” :redface:

So basically, this meant jack sh*t the second they posted that ridiculous list.  :rip:

Anyways, here's Céline Dion matching the power of the Top 1 while the Top 5 is also on the stage:

16 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

Clearly you wouldn’t be able to read what I wrote in the first place, so to each their own :redface:

Keep telling yourself that. The reality was me simply skipping over a majority of your post because I knew it was a load of bullshit anyway. The majority seem to agree going by the reactions to this thread. :bibliahh:

Edited by GlamSlam

On 1/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, luckythisway said:

I do think Celine deserves a spot but out of her peers (Whitney, Mariah, etc.) she definitely has the least impactful & influential discography. She didn’t really add anything new to the 90s diva love ballad, she just did it exceptionally well & sold a lot of records. Obviously she made French music more global but she doesn’t really have daughters like her peers do, tbh. And no disrespect at all, she’s a legend & should’ve been included (especially with the laughable BTS threat appearing :rip:) but I understand how her discography can be seen as forgettable/cookie cutter. 

Céline is very impactful and influential all around the world. that's why she's part of the vocal trinity. They all influenced people in different ways.

The shade is not cute.

1 hour ago, ninetiesceline said:

The fact that they choose to sneak Jungkook above Kelly Clarkson and totally ignore THEE Céline Dion easily tells you how invalid that list is lmao

When I saw this I understood this list is simply a way to get some clicks from that fandom and well, controversial clicks and attention, they know what they're doing, so many actual good singers in S. Korea with their solo catalog and they chose this one? 

1 hour ago, luckythisway said:

They're contradicting themselves then, or how do they explain Rihanna above MJ? I don't even like MJ music and voice, and I like Rih's music but I don't have to be a fan to tell this makes no sense. 

22 minutes ago, Kakihara said:

When I saw this I understood this list is simply a way to get some clicks from that fandom and well, controversial clicks and attention, they know what they're doing, so many actual good singers in S. Korea with their solo catalog and they chose this one? 

They're contradicting themselves then, or how do they explain Rihanna above MJ? I don't even like MJ music and voice, and I like Rih's music but I don't have to be a fan to tell this makes no sense. 

I never said the list wasn’t horse-sh*t. There are plenty of contradictions present, regardless of how you interpret the criteria. 

Not RS doing polls asking if some artists (Xtina, Kelly C, Taylor, Beyoncé, etc) should be ranked better or worse :rip:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rollingstone/3006967892385629409/

results so far:

Xtina and Kelly: Better

Beyonce and Tay: Worse

Edited by DanMex

27 minutes ago, DanMex said:

Not RS doing polls asking if some artists (Xtina, Kelly C, Taylor, Beyoncé, etc) should be ranked better or worse :rip:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rollingstone/3006967892385629409/

results so far:

Xtina and Kelly: Better

Beyonce and Tay: Worse

it's all about engagement, i guess :michael:

I just noticed Nat King Cole isn't on here.

Damn the list really gets worse the more you look at it. Unserious publication.

6 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

This list has been a joke ever since they first published it. Beyoncé being #8 but Celine is nowhere to be found? :redface:

It's more egregious that Adele is featuring on a list for vocalists at all. :redface: Céline deserves to join Beyoncé in the top 10.

I knew the second Rihanna was in there, the usual people would run their mouth.

This list was obviously not strictly about vocal range, people read "singer" and the fake outrage began. :skull: 

Rihanna's voice was all over the radio for more than a decade, she had hits back to back, and her singing style got the new girls copying her for sure. The amount of girls who wanted to be the new Rihanna, Rita Ora comes to mind. Pitchfork made a whole ass article about it, I'm glad to see that actual publications acknowledge Rihanna's influence. She wins :wanda:

7 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

It's more egregious that Adele is featuring on a list for vocalists at all. :redface: Céline deserves to join Beyoncé in the top 10.

This trolling attempt :bibliahh:

Adele can obviously sing, and does it better than your faves can, I bet!

Just now, Miss Show Business said:

This trolling attempt :bibliahh:

Adele can obviously sing, and does it better than your faves can, I bet!

Not trolling, just an accurate reflection. Adele has abysmal technique and is routinely out of tune in her performances, with no breath support. She's not a vocalist and her inclusion in lists like this is influenced by the success of her music. That's all.

Beyoncé can out-sing Adele without warming up. Sorry. :heart2:

Lists like these are important because the canonization of music is important, so when they fumble the bag like this it's not only a bad look but causes issue in the future when discussing music history and context.

Catalog shouldn't have been included as a criteria. It strictly should've been vocal technique, performance and/or vocal influence; There's people that simply do not have any of those things on this list (and unfortunately for online stans,these are things that can be measured objectively). Al Green being in the top 10 is the only pleasant surprise I had because he's underrated in general even though he's probably my favorite singer of the 70s Soul era.

I can't wait for the mess when they release the greatest artists of all time list.

Can someone post the full list I dont wanna scroll thru Rolling Stones site

10 hours ago, ninetiesceline said:

Anyways, here's Céline Dion matching the power of the Top 1 while the Top 5 is also on the stage:

:worship2:

where's Falete tho?

This rating makes no freaking sense. If it was also based on Impacts and influences, then MJ  should had been in top 10 easily. Some of the biggest black artists were influenced by him and his singing styles - Usher,  Beyonce, Chris Brown just to name a few; you also have alot of wannabes from every race and background. The fact that he was already a great vocalist to begin with -Instead, they have Bob Dylan and Paul Mc that high up? 

Also, Celine is missing invalidates this list completely. Happy for Beyonce, she deserves her spot; her vocal peak has been longer than the sum of Mariah's and Whitney's.  Mariah should be right below Miss Aretha. At her prime, she was better than Whitney in my humble opinion. 

Also, Donn Summer being that low is a crime, and to have Taylor above her and many great singers just make this list a total garage. Like who did Taylor influence with her voice? like did someone actually want to sound like her :rip:

Edited by Kh-Loud

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.