Rolling Stone 200 Greatest Singers of All Time

luckythisway

8 hours ago, Luckitty said:

one of the worst lists ever.. are they trying to rage bait people to get more clicks?

Obviously 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlamSlam

• luckythisway

• FolkLover1989

• suburbannature

2 hours ago, Bang Up said:

It's sad how desperate for clicks these once-respected music publications have become. They knew this list would rile people up and get them the ad revenue they're clearly in dire need for.

A BTS member on the list and above Kelly Clarkson is a crime against humanity.

Taylor Swift being on any list about singing is a hate crime.

The glaring omission of one of the greatest pop singers of all time is an affront to the human race.

The Madonna drag. :rip:

They kinda snapped with the top ten, though. :clap3: 

This came across as a Gaga drag. Like are we still in 2011? :deadbanana4:

Rolling Stone are the true winner here with this terrible list that's successfully harvesting clicks via outrage.

And yes I know it's not about singing skill alone, but that does not justify the Celine exclusion (and some questionable inclusions).

tragic

these publications are so desperate for clicks nowadays, it’s sad honestly

So Mariah is the #1 greatest "living" singer. Awwww

:ahh: no Celine Dion invalidates the whole list 

There are so many actual SINGERS missing, others are too loud... And then there's Taylor or Billie in the list :bibliahh:

Edited by thatsmydemi

Can’t take this serious when Taylor is above Kelly and Christina 

7 hours ago, luckythisway said:

This came across as a Gaga drag. Like are we still in 2011? :deadbanana4:

I think it's a bit of both. :jonny:

9 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

So basically it's just another example of a petty liddo using their platform to spew unnecessary hate about Madonna.  That along with the fact Gaga's much higher than those with more talent (when she shouldn't be) speaks volumes. :skull:

Seethe. It is a factual comment to state Gaga is a better singer than Madonna because she is. Gaga's placement is correct because she is and has always been a fantastic vocalist, and the only people who disagree are Madonna fans and other OGHs like yourself.

And tbh, it's a drag on them both.

1 hour ago, Bang Up said:

I think it's a bit of both. :jonny:

Seethe. It is a factual comment to state Gaga is a better singer than Madonna because she is. Gaga's placement is correct because she is and has always been a fantastic vocalist, and the only people who disagree are Madonna fans and other OGHs like yourself.

And tbh, it's a drag on them both.

They’re saying that as if Gaga isn’t a better vocalist than Adele, who is unjustly ranked 30+ spots higher than her :rip:

33 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

Only to fems with bad taste who like booming fog horns from women like Ethel Merman. :rip:

People with good taste and knowledge about pop culture aren't seething at all, in fact most of us have been laughing our socks off at the inaccuracies in that list and think certain women being higher than true vocalists like Barbra, Celine, Gladys and Michael Jackson is a big fat joke. Making it about "OGH's" and screamiing "mAdoNnA fANs" doesn't change the fact Rolling Stone is clueless and has been a laughing stock for years because of lists like this.

2 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

Only to fems with bad taste who like booming fog horns from women like Ethel Merman. :rip:

People with good taste and knowledge about pop culture aren't seething at all, in fact most of us have been laughing our socks off at the inaccuracies in that list and think certain women being higher than true vocalists like Barbra, Celine, Gladys and Michael Jackson is a big fat joke. Making it about "OGH's" and screamiing "mAdoNnA fANs" doesn't change the fact Rolling Stone is clueless and has been a laughing stock for years because of lists like this.

How is Gaga not a ‘true vocalist’? She’s classically trained, is extremely versatile, and has as strong of a belt as supposed ‘balladeers’ like Christina, the true fog horn. Grow up & get a grip cause it’s not 2013 anymore. Gaga’s not going away 

26 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

How is Gaga not a ‘true vocalist’? She’s classically trained, is extremely versatile, and has as strong of a belt as supposed ‘balladeers’ like Christina, the true fog horn. Grow up & get a grip cause it’s not 2013 anymore. Gaga’s not going away 

:redface: Your fave has nothing on the likes of Gladys Knight, Celine and Barbra, so don't sit there and pretend she has. and I don't have to do anything. Bang Up was the one who tried to get Madonna dragged in the first place, but now you want to cry and play the victim when you get your a** handed back to you? Please!

Edited by GlamSlam

:redface: I don't have to do anything. Bang Up was the one who tried to get Madonna dragged in the first place, but now you want to cry and play the victim when you get your a** handed back to you? Please!

Whose ass is getting handed to them? If anything, I said the article sounded more like a Gaga drag than a Madonna drag bc lbr, everyone knows Madonna is a less than subpar vocalist. And yet, you still dragged Gaga’s vocals & are now deflecting from it. Pick a lane! :redface:

This list has been a joke ever since they first published it. Beyoncé being #8 but Celine is nowhere to be found? :redface:

Just now, luckythisway said:

Whose ass is getting handed to them? If anything, I said the article sounded more like a Gaga drag than a Madonna drag bc lbr, everyone knows Madonna is a less than subpar vocalist. And yet, you still dragged Gaga’s vocals & are now deflecting from it. Pick a lane! :redface:

Where did I say Madonna's voice is as good as the women mentioned? Bang Up was the one who brought her up, not me. All I said was that Gaga shouldn't be higher than Celine Dion, Gladys Knight and Barbra and most people will agree, yet you're the one's deflecting by turning it into a Madonna vs Gaga argument, like you always do.

12 hours ago, Bang Up said:

The Madonna drag. :rip:

^ From the horses mouth

If Bang Up thought Gaga was being dragged he wouldn't have even posted it, let's be real.

9 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

Where did I say Madonna's voice is as good as the women mentioned? Bang Up was the one who brought her up, not me. All I said was that Gaga shouldn't be higher than Celine Dion, Gladys Knight and Barbra and most people will agree, yet you're the one's deflecting by turning it into a Madonna vs Gaga argument, like you always do.

Nowhere, because she’s not nearly as good as any of the women we’re discussing. Judging by the criteria mentioned in the article, I don’t agree that any of those women should be higher than Gaga. Celine, Barbra, and Gladys are A+ class vocalists, but their discographies are tepid at best, and have no cultural relevance among the GP or the new gen of pop stars. Hell, Gaga even did Barbra’s movie better than her. Take off the anti-Gaga glasses & maybe you’ll have a moment of clarity. Gaga’s also more respected by the GP than you’re giving her credit for, saying “most people will agree” with you. Please 

35 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

Nowhere, because she’s not nearly as good as any of the women we’re discussing. Judging by the criteria mentioned in the article, I don’t agree that any of those women should be higher than Gaga. Celine, Barbra, and Gladys are A+ class vocalists, but their discographies are tepid at best, and have no cultural relevance among the GP or the new gen of pop stars. Hell, Gaga even did Barbra’s movie better than her. Take off the anti-Gaga glasses & maybe you’ll have a moment of clarity. Gaga’s also more respected by the GP than you’re giving her credit for, saying “most people will agree” with you. Please 

Of course Madonna's not as good as Celine, Barbra or Gladys so why waste time telling me what I already know? :rip:

Like I said, I was responding to Bang Up's post then you took offence to it and chucked your toys out of your pram and this is the result.  Either way, I'm not even sure why you're bringing up their discographies when your OP was about vocals. :redface:

The fact that you think Gaga is more respected than any of them and consider their music "tepid" and thinks they have no cultural relevance with the GP tells me all I need to know - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't even heard their discographies, but only listened to about 10% and came to the conclusion their music was "bORinG" because they didn't have enough "Bangers" for you. :skull:  I could suggest that you have a moment of clarity by taking off your rose coloured Gaga spectacles by brushing up on pop culture prior to 2008, but we both know that would fall on deaf ears and be a complete waste of time and energy on both our parts.

Edited by GlamSlam

Of course Madonna's not as good as Celine, Barbra or Gladys so why waste time telling me what I already know? :rip:

Like I said, I was responding to Bang Up's post then you took offence to it and chucked your toys out of your pram and this is the result.  Either way, I'm not even sure why you're bringing up their discographies when your OP was about vocals. :redface:

The fact that you think Gaga is more respected than any of them and consider their music "tepid" and thinks they have no cultural relevance with the GP tells me all I need to know - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't even heard their discographies, but only listened to about 10% and came to the conclusion their music was "bORinG" because they didn't have enough "Bangers" for you. :skull:  I could suggest that you have a moment of clarity by taking off your rose coloured Gaga spectacles and brushing up on pop culture prior to 2008 by listening to some decent music for once, but we both know that would fall on deaf ears and be a complete waste of time and energy on both our parts.

The OP is not about vocals. As dumb as it looks (bc it is), Rolling Stone defined it as they did, and is reflected in the OP :redface:

And sure, enjoy the nursing home. Just because Gaga debuted within the past 15 years doesn’t mean she can’t surpass singers of Christmases past. She’s more than proven herself as a legendary, all-time, world class entertainer :redface:

influence MJ is #1

crooked list probably made by aretha franklin grandchild 

24 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

The OP is not about vocals. As dumb as it looks (bc it is), Rolling Stone defined it as they did, and is reflected in the OP :redface: And sure, enjoy the nursing home. Just because Gaga debuted within the past 15 years doesn’t mean she can’t surpass singers of Christmases past. She’s more than proven herself as a legendary, all-time, world class entertainer :redface:

Rolling Stone didn't mention discographies either and neither did you in your title, yet you still felt the need to deflect by talking about them 13 pages later :redface: I'm not even going to address the other part of your post, so we'll leave it at that.

Edited by GlamSlam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.