Rolling Stone 200 Greatest Singers of All Time

luckythisway

7 hours ago, MrLovett said:

Not trolling, just an accurate reflection. Adele has abysmal technique and is routinely out of tune in her performances, with no breath support. She's not a vocalist and her inclusion in lists like this is influenced by the success of her music. That's all.

Beyoncé can out-sing Adele without warming up. Sorry. :heart2:

If you say so. Sorry, not sorry, Beyoncé is a talented artist, but does not belong as highly ranked on a list like this as she is. :sorry:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlamSlam

• luckythisway

• FolkLover1989

• suburbannature

13 hours ago, ninetiesceline said:

Anyways, here's Céline Dion matching the power of the Top 1 while the Top 5 is also on the stage:

Woah she truly ended Aretha like that:jonny5:

8 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

If you say so. Sorry, not sorry, Beyoncé is a talented artist, but does not belong as highly ranked on a list like this as she is. :sorry:

Why though? As a singer we know Beyoncé is extremely talented and has been showing off her skills, impressing audiences and critics alike since she was a teenager. Her use of runs and other vocal stylings are incredibly complex and she often makes it seem a lot easier than it actually is. And to this day she is still impressing fans with songs like Virgo's Groove.

Not only that, her vocals have been extremely important to the modern history of pop, particularly in pop-and-R&B flavoured songs.

Her rap-sung style has helped usher in a new wave of pop vocals that is still current to this day (as updated and then re-popularized by the likes of Drake). In this way, she's helped change how singing is presented in pop music, a big factor when talking about "great" singing.

It's not just about belting and big notes, which she can achieve, but also a sense of rhythm, timing, inflection ("riding a beat") and the use of a voice to paint a melody outside of instrumental flourishing. A song like Get Me Bodied sounds nearly complete acapella because her singing style and talent allows her to create an entire melody/structure with just vocals, no beat, chords, etc.

34 minutes ago, swissman said:

Why though? As a singer we know Beyoncé is extremely talented and has been showing off her skills, impressing audiences and critics alike since she was a teenager. Her use of runs and other vocal stylings are incredibly complex and she often makes it seem a lot easier than it actually is. And to this day she is still impressing fans with songs like Virgo's Groove.

Not only that, her vocals have been extremely important to the modern history of pop, particularly in pop-and-R&B flavoured songs.

Her rap-sung style has helped usher in a new wave of pop vocals that is still current to this day (as updated and then re-popularized by the likes of Drake). In this way, she's helped change how singing is presented in pop music, a big factor when talking about "great" singing.

It's not just about belting and big notes, which she can achieve, but also a sense of rhythm, timing, inflection ("riding a beat") and the use of a voice to paint a melody outside of instrumental flourishing. A song like Get Me Bodied sounds nearly complete acapella because her singing style and talent allows her to create an entire melody/structure with just vocals, no beat, chords, etc.

Girl, Adele can barely sing in tune now aday lol...... :rip: she has horrible placement, literal the basic of being a decent singer! 17 year old Beyonce can sing circle around Adele while doing a full choreo! 

Idk how you could make a list like this without the obvious Whitney, Celine and Mariah top 3 tbh. :deadbanana2:

3 hours ago, Kh-Loud said:

This rating makes no freaking sense. If it was also based on Impacts and influences, then MJ  should had been in top 10 easily. Some of the biggest black artists were influenced by him and his singing styles - Usher,  Beyonce, Chris Brown just to name a few; you also have alot of wannabes from every race and background. The fact that he was already a great vocalist to begin with -Instead, they have Bob Dylan and Paul Mc that high up? 

Also, Celine is missing invalidates this list completely. Happy for Beyonce, she deserves her spot; her vocal peak has been longer than the sum of Mariah's and Whitney's.  Mariah should be right below Miss Aretha. At her prime, she was better than Whitney in my humble opinion. 

Also, Donn Summer being that low is a crime, and to have Taylor above her and many great singers just make this list a total garage. Like who did Taylor influence with her voice? like did someone actually want to sound like her :rip:

I agree with most of this. Michael Jackson is an extremely talented and emotive singer his vocal influence I would argue rivals that of Aretha Franklin when you consider all of the pop stars who came after him. 

Also, Celine Dion definitely deserves a spot in the top 10 at least top 15.

I think Mariah is placed right where she needs to be. I personally would’ve put Beyonce over her but it’s freaking Mariah so she’s deserves top 5.

Edited by Space&Time

On 1/1/2023 at 10:56 AM, Cool said:

The article does specify it's not about vocals.

"Before you start scrolling (and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List. Talent is impressive; genius is transcendent. Sure, many of the people here were born with massive pipes, perfect pitch, and boundless range.

In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy."

But to leave Celine Dion outta this list is wild, ngl.

A crime....also using this criteria and putting Stevie at 93 :deadbanana:

On 1/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, Jynx said:

Wait is Barbra Streisand not on this list? :redface:

Second time they make a lost about vocalists, and don't even include her. If Barbra does not count as one of the all time greats. How the hell did some of those singers make the list, when they don't even come close to her vocals?

Their “criteria” they posted makes absolutely no sense, because for a lot of these, they spend the entire blurb just talking about their vocal ability. :rip:

They should’ve had two lists—a ‘Greatest Artists’ list and a ‘Greatest Vocalists’ (updated) list. Using the term “singer”, (despite any “criteria” posted) usually implies a highlight of the voice. 

This was clearly done solely for clicks, because this reads as them just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what lands. 

22 minutes ago, Outside789 said:

Second time they make a lost about vocalists, and don't even include her. If Barbra does not count as one of the all time greats. How the hell did some of those singers make the list, when they don't even come close to her vocals?

Barbra is on there at #147. Insanely low but she's there.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:30 AM, DanMex said:

Not RS doing polls asking if some artists (Xtina, Kelly C, Taylor, Beyoncé, etc) should be ranked better or worse :rip:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rollingstone/3006967892385629409/

results so far:

Xtina and Kelly: Better

Beyonce and Tay: Worse

70% of poll voters voted for Christina Aguilera to be ranked higher. The people have spoken. :clap3:

Their IG post about this list made it so clear that it was done for clicks: "we set the internet aflame with our new ranking" :toofunny3:

1 hour ago, Outside789 said:

I just saw she's at #147. She should be top 50.  :biblio:

11 hours ago, Outside789 said:

23 hours ago, Kh-Loud said:

Girl, Adele can barely sing in tune now aday lol...... :rip: she has horrible placement, literal the basic of being a decent singer! 17 year old Beyonce can sing circle around Adele while doing a full choreo! 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:32 AM, MrLovett said:

Not trolling, just an accurate reflection. Adele has abysmal technique and is routinely out of tune in her performances, with no breath support. She's not a vocalist and her inclusion in lists like this is influenced by the success of her music. That's all.

Beyoncé can out-sing Adele without warming up. Sorry. :heart2:

It's specified the list isn't properly about vocalists, but "what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy.

1 minute ago, Mr. Loco said:

It's specified the list isn't properly about vocalists, but "what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy.

That's why I stated in the post you quoted: her inclusion in lists like this is influenced by the success of her music. That's all.

yall watch too many vocal coaches on youtube and treat singing as sport but that’s on you, not on RS

20 hours ago, MrLovett said:

That's why I stated in the post you quoted: her inclusion in lists like this is influenced by the success of her music. That's all.

i think saying that diminishes her actual talent tho. top 50 is a stretch for sure- she and Michael should be switched. But Adele can sing very well- there is a reason why One and Only, Hello, and Rolling in the Deep are all considered talent show staples for vocalist because she's a vocal focused artist and when she gets it together, she can have great moments- her Vegas shows are quite obvious at for that imo. 

The list has been discussed on TV in my country :deadbanana:everyone is making fun of it :bibliahh:

3 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

i think saying that diminishes her actual talent tho. top 50 is a stretch for sure- she and Michael should be switched. But Adele can sing very well- there is a reason why One and Only, Hello, and Rolling in the Deep are all considered talent show staples for vocalist because she's a vocal focused artist and when she gets it together, she can have great moments- her Vegas shows are quite obvious at for that imo. 

One thing about Adele is her songs seem written to show off a sort of vocal power which is something that many other singers don't necessarily do across their whole career. So, even if a song is not very difficult to sing from a technical perspective, it's orchestrated and the melody flows in such a way that you feel the BIG MOMENT of the chorus and it feels like SINGING. That's, aside from her songs popularity, and the beautiful tone of her voice while singing it, is why I think her songs become such easy talent show staples.

Using Beyoncé as a comparison (as was being done), Bills, Bills, Bills might be a more technically hard song to sing given you must really master rhythm, breath control, intonation, all while hitting a series of notes in fast succession. But, outside of songs like Halo or Listen, Beyoncé generally isn't making songs specifically engineered to showcase a vocal performance, she just brings that skill to everything she does whether its a ballad like 1+1, an uptempo like Get Me Bodied or something more gentle and held back like Love Drought.

I think this is also why certain people of the general public were shocked at Beyoncé's placement, given her goal is often to make vocals look easy.

(I've sort of rambled and ended in a place not in your quoted comment so excuse that :))

In Beyoncé's blurb I love that they outlined what a student of Black vocal history she is, but wish they also touched upon the lasting impact of her own vocals on pop, because that's really what got her in the Top Ten imo.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, conquxror said:

i just opened the list and rosalia and kelly clarkson — aka TRAINED vocalists — are below bts’ jungkook who can barely sing on pitch :rip:

LOL REALLY

Scrap this list

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.