K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

SM's biggest hope right now is their new boygroup outside of NCT. That was their core strength from H.O.T who made SM relevant -> TVXQ -> EXO. Bighit stole their bar from bg fandom strength (BTS, TXT) to Min Hee Jin (SHINee, f(x) aesthetic/creative mind). The public still give SM a chance because they consider NCT a weird project, so their new bg needs to have the biggest fandom and outsell all other 4th gen groups.

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

The GOT mini was a bit of a flop but how good this song is kinda went under the radar for me

I could do without the noise breakdown but the rest of it is excellent

13 minutes ago, New Edition said:

Yeah they shot themselves in the foot kinda, trying to do K/DA, AleXa and BlackPink all at once with NFT/AI stuff. They shot themselves in the foot again when SM saw the success of NL, got too excited over FINALLY getting a hit from one of their groups and decided to make Kwangya the concept of all of SM. They shot themselves in the foot again creating the SMCU at a time when the actual MCU was declining with mainstream audiences. Then again trying to copy and outdo BlackPink's Coachella performance only to be outdone by the disbanded 2NE1 and make no noise. The constant silly pushes into the American mainstream. Then again with the entire Girls era and zero proper promotions. Just miss after miss. 

Sheep made things worse when they went too hard in the pain for aespa too early. I remember saying at the beginning of 2022, aespa's success is largerly due to the lack of competition - and that once the other big companies started to debut their 4th gen girl groups, that will be the true test of aespa's popularity. I still maintain that we won't see where the chips fall until the end of 2023. But my prediction for 2022 - that aespa would end up buried by the competition - ended up being correct.

Of course, there's always hope for groups. I suspect, however, that SM saw that Hybe successfully debuted two new girl groups in a year, one of which is doing great and the other of which is breaking BTS's records. And they're probably thinking, why do we have to wait 8 years before debuting a new girl group of the one we debuted has already peaked? I will say that they'll have to sort out whatever is going on in the SM system first or else it's just going to be another waste. I also like the idea of a girl band, SM should try it.

the way you CLOCKED everything about SM whew chile lemme bookmark real quick!

Aespa would've truly slayed if they just went with the LSF or BLACKPINK concept tbh, Ningning singing her ass off on afrobeats or reggaeton bops whew :jonny5:

Yeah i know every company is profit driven and not really original/creativity driven but SM (right now) is next level (no pun intended)

The 19293398 NCT sub units (and counting!), SMCU, the crossovers, etc. it's all just cynical, forced and hard to connect with as a music fan

Like everything has become this huge soulless machinery

20 minutes ago, MonsterNavy said:

imagine if sm let MHJ do the newjennies concept with aespa with the same music and aesthetics and all :cries: 

I can only imagine how good NewJeans music would be with good vocals :cries: 

Idk i just have to hold out hope that SM reads the market properly and abandons the noise music direction for Aespa.

Hmm… let’s see what they deliver, you never know with SM. However the idea of them debuting a new gg in the next four months feels very sudden regardless. Hybe has them shaking :redface: the competition should hopefully be good though because SM’s output the last few years has not been hitting, time to focus on quality 

18 minutes ago, Harrier said:

The GOT mini was a bit of a flop but how good this song is kinda went under the radar for me

I could do without the noise breakdown but the rest of it is excellent

Outlaw and Rose are the only tracks I like. I don’t get why Outlaw wasn’t the lead single at all 

3 hours ago, Pluto2022 said:

Can somebody tell me why NCT's streaming numbers especially on Spotify are so tragic? Like it just doesn't feel right! :deadbanana4:

The fact that SKZ with a Japanese song released out of nowhere without an MV and with only 9 hours tracking almost debuted higher than their title track!? :deadbanana2:

Like even GOT the beat debuted higher than them!? Btw, Ay-Yo is a bop and deserves better :shakeno:

The fact that THEIR WHOLE ALBUM couldn't even out-stream one of TXT's b-sides alone this year!?:redface: Not the chart account also writing "currently the biggest SM album album debut on the platform in 2023" as if any other SM acts have released something yet, apart from GOT :skull: Btw, NCT bombing like this is karma for SM, since they wanna give NCT 4636266 comebacks while hiding aespa in the dungeon and forcing 2 of the members on the GOT project.

This is so embarrassing. NCT has always BOMBED on spotify but this is a new low :rip: I guess when you release a noisy bad song...

Meanwhile Dream are STILL doing more with Candy now than what Ayo debuted with. :dies:

15 minutes ago, fountain said:

Hmm… let’s see what they deliver, you never know with SM. However the idea of them debuting a new gg in the next four months feels very sudden regardless. Hybe has them shaking :redface: the competition should hopefully be good though because SM’s output the last few years has not been hitting, time to focus on quality 

SM quietly sat on its laurels for too long relying on the goodwill SNSD and EXO gave them :fan: now BLACKPINK washes all their acts and now HYBE is releasing back to back girlgroups that have served the global success SM has been dying and craving to get for years (the sheep better not lie the countless attempts at a US push, BoA, SNSD in 2011, the Avengers of K-pop :toofunny3:, Aespa's half year US promotions ending in Coachella making ZERO noise) while HYBE drops 2 girlgroups 2 months between one another and both are SLAYING global Apple Music and Spotify charts with nearly ZERO stateside promo I KNOW they're mad :jonny5:

Edited by MingYouToo

Wow Eunchae and not Minji congrats though :clap3:

Still HYBE won 

I legitimately believe SM would be in a completely different place right now if NCT never happened. That really ruined the company :rip: They are having NCT comebacks once every 3-4 weeks and it's so oversaturated and just pumping out music at this point with 0 creativity. 

Every SM comeback used to feel like some sort of event, but now it's like "Oh, they're coming back again already?" despite the fact that it's ONLY NCT that's coming back that often :rip: 

is there a list of who sold most lightsticks in kpop? it has to be bots too right? but I wanna see who's in the top 10

22 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

SM quietly sat on its laurels for too long relying on the goodwill SNSD and EXO gave them :fan: now BLACKPINK washes all their acts and now HYBE is releasing back to back girlgroups that have served the global success SM has been dying and craving to get for years (the sheep better not lie the countless attempts at a US push, BoA, SNSD in 2011, the Avengers of K-pop :toofunny3:, Aespa's half year US promotions ending in Coachella making ZERO noise) while HYBE drops 2 girlgroups 2 months between one another and both are SLAYING global Apple Music and Spotify charts with nearly ZERO stateside promo I KNOW they're mad :jonny5:

a lot of projection & bitterness here. most sheep just want aespa (and other SM acts) to release good music with a proper rollout
SM has always been floppy outside of East Asia, and I literally could not care less :skull: 

It's the qualities I like about SM that makes their acts more difficult to push worldwide. I've said it before and I'll say it again: SM makes K-pop for K-pop fans, and its groups/music are mostly inaccessible to any general audience outside East Asia, let alone a Western audience. It's the same problem that most J-pop has.

I'm at peace with that, but I do want them to make listenable music and for their acts to at least have some relevance in Korea. That's achievable for Aespa if they get off this noise music mess

SM needs to recruit qualified producers/ A&R for this multi producer system to work, otherwise they will end up like JYP.

Also I would like to remind everyone that less than 12 months ago SM was getting endless Ws and occupied like half the top 10 on Melon :skull: I know K-pop moves fast but this whole discussion is still very premature in terms of Korean success

6 minutes ago, Harrier said:

It's the qualities I like about SM that makes their acts more difficult to push worldwide. I've said it before and I'll say it again: SM makes K-pop for K-pop fans, and its groups/music are mostly inaccessible to any general audience outside East Asia, let alone a Western audience. It's the same problem that most J-pop has.

EXACTLY

1 hour ago, Iridesence said:

I’m so livid for aespa right now. They really had the world in their fingertips before the Girls era and SM keeps f****** it up for them and now they want to debut a new gg before even giving them their first full album? When Girls broke GG sales records even though they gave them quite possibly their worst era yet? I’m lowkey worried they are going to pay them dust àla f(x) and I hate it. NingNing Houston deserves better. :biblio:

Citation clearly needed here.

2 hours ago, MonsterNavy said:

sm already has 3 active ggs right now

- aespa

- rv

- got the beat

and they couldn't manage them right or give them good songs. a new gg isn't needed

Got The Beat is a super group - they’re not the same thing. And SM is still serving the best musical projects - it’s their music videos and choreographies that need work.

1 hour ago, New Edition said:

But my prediction for 2022 - that aespa would end up buried by the competition - ended up being correct.

Huh? Girls is still the second best-selling album ever by a Korean female act (only behind Born Pink). Their weakness isn’t other girls outdoing them - it’s SM trying to put too much content out at once. Next Level is still the biggest song of fourth Gen and now Illusion is the biggest B-side. Y’all need to quit acting like they’re flopping.

49 minutes ago, Da Vinci said:

Yeah i know every company is profit driven and not really original/creativity driven but SM (right now) is next level (no pun intended)

The 19293398 NCT sub units (and counting!), SMCU, the crossovers, etc. it's all just cynical, forced and hard to connect with as a music fan

Like everything has become this huge soulless machinery

SM has been trying to do a rotation group since 2006 with Super Junior. Red Velvet was also a rotation group at first and that was a huge part of the SM Rookies experience. It’s not really a Western concept, but it’s huge in Asia.

And the only reason you’re all pretending to dislike super groups is because they put out a non-commercial title track. When Step Back smashed, this whole thread was going wild about GOT The Beat. Y’all need to stop letting your opinions be influenced by domestic digitals :toofunny2: 

another hybe artist MCing :bird:

hybe dominating melon:bird:

Edited by Fanta

NCT's best song (and their best MV). This video is Ditto's father:WAP:

2 minutes ago, JoanneActII said:

EXACTLY

It's self evident even anecdotally from this thread. Despite SM's relative global irrelevance, it has nonetheless continuously dominated discussion here for the entire nearly 10 years I've been reading it, from the days where F(x) were the main event until now with Aespa.

Why? Because this thread is full of dedicated K-pop gays and we are a basically SM's target audience :skull: