Gaga's biggest inspiration?

Sheep

Gaga's whole career has been a love letter to pop music and the icons that shaped it. Who do you personally think had the most impact? Post receipts :bird:

I personally think she was most inspired by Michael Jackson. She got the long-format videos and fixation on macabre themes from him. She also has worked with his producers in the past and snatched up his old musical director for her live shows. Gaga also owns a huge archive of his clothes/costumes and literally wears them out. Most recently The Chromatica Ball's stage was a clear homage to Michael Jackson's last tour w the stage being made to look like an imposing stone structure. also probably where she got the idea it was okay to collaborate with a certain somebody on do what u want and the idea to work with Jeff Koons around the same time who's 2nd or 3rd most famous work is a statue of MJ

565594.jpegTFbrRkX.png

Keep it cute, none of your favs are original. :bird:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheep

• GlamSlam

• popjunkie

• John Slayne

David Bowie and Madonna are Lady Gaga's biggest inspirations. As well as Andy Warhol and Grace Jones. 

6 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

David Bowie and Madonna are Lady Gaga's biggest inspirations. As well as Andy Warhol and Grace Jones. 

I really don't see any of those people as big inspirations to Gaga that reaches beyond a few visual references early in her career other than maybe Madonna with the constant reinventions(other artists did it before either of them though so idk :katie:). Born This Way was obviously a tribute to Madonna but the album also referenced Whitney, Queen, and Bruce, and others. 

Is there anything I'm missing?

Edited by Century

It’s definitely Madonna. She has references others too, but Madonna’s inspiration on her is the most prominent to me.

Edited by Iridesence

It's Madonna and Bowie. MJ is an influence of course but you can see the other two a lot more. :gaygacat9:

Madonna, Bowie, and then also I'd say Whitney Houston and Cher

39 minutes ago, Century said:

and then Gaga inspired her in turn. We love to see legends being inspirational to each other. 

jayz-beyonce-lady-gaga.jpg

If that helps you sleep at night. :heart2:

OT: Bey for sure.

Kylie Minogue and MJ 

She even used Kylie’s previous stage to inspire and create the BTW castle/stage :gaygacat9:

Edited by Kimmo

1 minute ago, popjunkie said:

Sounds like she was just being supportive of her former friend. :psyduck:

She also called her the most talented pop star and we all know how inspired Bey has felt by Gaga more recently in particular. She never said this about girls who she was/is much closer to. But I guess in order to keep your delusions going you'll have to find a way to rationalize it away and pretend you know more about Beyonce's feelings than Beyonce does. :matty:

https://www.ellecanada.com/culture/music/beyonce-lady-gaga-is-most-talented-pop-star

3 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

She even used Kylie’s previous stage to create the BTW castle/stage :gaygacat9:

Wait are there receipts of this. It wouldn't surprise me with how much they admire each other. :dies:

This thread was obviously opened to point out how Madonna was inspiration to her at the beginning of Gaga’s career… but after the whole feud Gaga tried to distance herself from Madonna as much as possible, they even mentioned on her Netflix documentary how she was happy she didn’t keep her gapped tooth, because they would’ve just compare her more to Madonna.  

After that she found influences from her fans and wiser artist like Tony, Elton and so on :gaygacat4:

3 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

This thread was obviously opened to point out how Madonna was inspiration to her at the beginning of Gaga’s career

actually it was the opposite, I believe the comparisons are extremely overblown compared to others she's been influenced by and was hoping somebody could fill me in on where all this Madonna inspiration people talk about comes from along with sharing the bit about the CBT stage because I haven't seen any monsters discuss it :deadbanana4:

Idk, visually maybe there were clear Madonna influences in the first 2-4 years of her career, and others like Bowie as well and Grace, etc, but sonically not much Madonna really, aside from the Born This Way Album of course. I'd say sonically throughout her dancepop career David Bowie is more present than Madonna, and it makes sense because Bowie was way more sonically theatrical than Madonna ever was, which fits Gaga way more. The Madonna comparisons never made sense to me, and it was just the media trying to get clicks because even the BTW album which obviously has Madonna references isn't as a whole anything Madonna has ever done, there's also plenty of other references in that album but the media never focused on those. Then Elton or Bruce are definitely a thing in her more stripped down pop/rock ballad-y songs. I mean, ARUTW, for example, is the perfect combination between everything Gaga was before she was Lady Gaga & the best of Elton John from the 70s. 

33 minutes ago, Century said:

Wait are there receipts of this. It wouldn't surprise me with how much they admire each other. :dies:

Axl Rose

Madonna and Bowie

I think she wants to keep on doing glam rock music but that's not her audience 

1 hour ago, Century said:

She also called her the most talented pop star and we all know how inspired Bey has felt by Gaga more recently in particular. She never said this about girls who she was/is much closer to. But I guess in order to keep your delusions going you'll have to find a way to rationalize it away and pretend you know more about Beyonce's feelings than Beyonce does. :matty:

https://www.ellecanada.com/culture/music/beyonce-lady-gaga-is-most-talented-pop-star

The fluke that was Chromatica served zero inspiration for Bey's most recent universally acclaimed album similarly to how The Fame/Monster served zero inspiration behind Bey's natural evolution with visuals. :bibliahh:

OT: Bey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.