Billboard switches to Mediabase for airplay numbers

Azulito

As if we need to give more weight to stations that try to drill a song into your skull by playing it every 45 minutes. Mess. :toofunny2:

Even with mass buying, fan streaming, playlisting, and auto-play, at least consumers are actually interacting with the content, even if passively. The arguments in this thread are grasping at straws. There is no content interaction with radio, unless you call into the radio station and request a song, and who the fûck does that in 2022? :deadbanana4:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Klein

• simmnfierzig

• Yog

• RihFenty20

That's a great move. Streaming is way too important on the hot 100 compared to radio and real sales.

24 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Guess it depends on who u are. It is logical for the current most listened thing to reflect on the chart. However these changes just makes records and achievements of the past - pointless. I personally don't care, since charts lie a lot of the times, but it really is just another pov - which for stans is essential since they like comparing these stuff.  And at this point..aren't charts more important to stans instead of the gp?

Not pointing fingers, but not surprised that u as a swiftie would be for this since your fav just got a huge win.

Not that it's easy to preserve these older achievements tho..but I guess they can make another chart for just singles? Idk

I agree with the bolded part. No matter what Billboard does, music consumption has changed and there is nothing that could make it "comparable" between say the "physical era", "digital era" and "streaming era". During the "physical era", album units could be accumulated faster, but streaming gives a lot more longevity to albums for example. Another example would be that Janet 7 top 10's from one album is different from Midnights 10 top 10's. Streaming allows album tracks to chart so you can have more top 10 debut than in the past. At the same time, it also strongly decrease the potential to extend an era and get tons of hits like in the past.

Because of all that, I believe that records and achievements should be considered for the era in which they were achieved. There are only very few situations in which old and new records are actually comparable. 

Lmao that one person blocking taylor on spotify

and then they defending Radio which is the most fraudlent metrics

Dua won. :gayalipacat3: DL3 lead going No.1 I fear

People are just making assumptions. Billboard will probably adjust their formula and radio's influence could stay the same.

7 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

Fans of low stream high payola artists celebrating  :deadbanana4:

That’s means flops like Camila and that ABCde girl are going to get a hit singles next era for sure 

JoshSpears1805

good, time to reduce streaming to the lowest metric though 

The game is rigged. Three major record labels control the music industry, ejecting payola into radio stations' playlists. Radio shouldn't be counted into Hot100. It will remain crucial for any artist's performance, but Hot100 should be solely counted on public CONSUMPTION, aka sales and streaming. 

1 hour ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Lmao that one person blocking taylor on spotify

and then they defending Radio which is the most fraudlent metrics

All metrics are fraudulent. People love to scam the system.

They aren’t wrong about Taylor on Spotify being omnipotent though - when it auto plays something for me on Spotify, a Taylor song comes up within the first three suggestions without fail, despite me never listening to her music.

the funny thing is one variant of a lip stain collection can generate enough money to pay for this :deadbanana2:

10 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

But I just checked the numbers again. Seems like radio is in the 25-30% range right now and will be 30-35% after this.

Do you think so? I thought airplay's influence was around 30-40% currently.

10 hours ago, Yog said:

So basically Radio gains slightly more power..☠️

Sam does good on radio, you shouldn't be worried.

7 hours ago, JoshSpears1805 said:

Y’all are really stuck in 2002 :rip:

3 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

I've added the radio percentage for the full top 100 from the last 2 Hot 100 predictions. Sure its been 2 album bombs but it was significantly less than 30% for both

11 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

I've added the radio percentage for the full top 100 from the last 2 Hot 100 predictions. Sure its been 2 album bombs but it was significantly less than 30% for both

Oh not so bad, I think that's lowkey a fair percentage, radio is still a very popular medium in the United States.

18 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

Damn.. expose Sam like that :oxygen2:

Still, pretty disgusting for certain artists that choose payola to gain chart placements

a certain fan base is gonna be happy :ahh: 

9 hours ago, JoshSpears1805 said:

What are you, 50? Sure let's listen to an atrl gay that wants peoples opinion to not count for anything. Nice how you say that when it's proven people with lower income, people of color stream the most 

I love rih but why is everyone stuck in a Stan bubble. It's damn fishy this happened when she gained the biggest radio in history. Idk why they're being like this over something that was supposed to be a ******* tribute

To think like 7 years ago people thought radio will be an obsolete part of the H100 formula but it's only getting stronger. :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.