Madonna, Beyoncé & Shakira Queens of extremely long careers. Why?

KatyPrismSpirit

They are the only female artists I can think of who remained successful throughout four decades

Madonna debuted in 1983 and her last worldwide smash hit was 4 Minutes from 2008. 25 years into her career. She kinda fluked in the 2010s but was still able to have #1 albums in this decade.

Shakira formally debuted in 1995 and her new single Monotonia released today is breaking streaming records and shaping up to become a massive global hit. Her 2022 single Te Felicito is also a massive hit, charting in the top 10 in many countries.

Beyoncé was obviously the lead part of Destiny's Child, which debuted 1998. In 2022 Beyoncé released her most acclaimed work to date, managed to break personal streaming records, reached #1 with her hit single; Break My Soul and the song; Cuff It is becoming a massive hit worldwide, charting inside of the top 15 in many countries. 

Is it safe to say this is the trinity of girls with extremely long careers? There is really no slowing down with these women. I cant think of anybody else who managed to sustain such a long career and see continuous success and scoring massive hits throughout four decades, all with new material. 

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• NausAllien

• KatyPrismSpirit

• stevyy

Top Posters In This Topic

new or old material...

Mariah Carey first hit #1 in 1990 and last in 2022. 

Queen of ranking at #1, I guess.

Moo also had a double platinum single in 2013 - 23 years into her career... and quite recently in 2022, a platinum certified new single in Australia. yay.

Edited by stevyy

Just now, stevyy said:

new or old material...

Moo also had a double platinum single in 2013 - 23 years into her career... and quite recently in 2022, a platinum certified new single. yay.

Mariah isn't comparable to them pls. Mariahs 10s output isn't nearly as succesful as the high highs shakira, madonna and beyonce were able to achieve 24/25 years into their careers. and yes AIWFCIY keeps going #1 for two weeks a year but mariahs new material isnt succesful by a landslide

This entire attempt for the sole purpose of to shading Mariah with that last sentence. 

GRETCHEN.gif

Mariah is the only act with #1s in four decades, continues to be one of the most-streamed pre-00s artists, and the “new music” caveat you added doesn’t make sense because no one else is doing what she’s doing:  

they're just legendary :cm: I don't know much about Shakira's career moves, but Madonna and Beyoncé were both very good at adapting while also remaining true to themselves. They made sure they were irreplaceable (.mp3) pop stars that the world needed

31 minutes ago, stevyy said:

new or old material...

Moo also had a double platinum single in 2013 - 23 years into her career... and quite recently in 2022, a platinum certified new single in Australia. yay.

Plus 20 years of platinum (or more) albums and hit songs before the Xmas reign even went into full gear.

Albums

1990: Mariah Carey 9x platinum

1991: Emotions 4x platinum

1992: MTV Unplugged EP 4x platinum

1993: Music Box diamond

1994: Merry Christmas 8x platinum

1995: Daydream diamond (11x platinum)

1997: Butterfly 5x platinum

1998: #1s 5x platinum

1999: Rainbow 3x platinum

2001: Glitter platinum

2001: Greatest Hits 2x platinum

2002: Charmbracelet platinum

2005: The Emancipation of Mimi 7x platinum

2008: E=MC2 platinum

2009: Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel platinum

2010: Merry Christmas II You gold

Songs

1990: Three #1s

1991: Two #1s (and #2, #5)

1992: One #1

1993: One #1

1994: One #1 (and #2, #3)

1995: Two #1s

1996: One #1

1997: One #1

1998: One #1

1999: One #1

2000: One #1

2001: #2

2003: #3

2005: One #1 (and #2)

2006: One #1

2008: One #1

2009: #7 (Obsessed)

2013: #15 (and multi-platinum)

AIWFCIY:

2019: #1

2020: #1

2021: #1

2022: #1

She's currently out-streaming the other 80s-90s (Madonna, Whitney, Celine, Janet, etc.) divas in recurrent as well. And has been since September...and that's pre-Christmas months and not including her enormous recurrent stats on Asian streaming platforms like Melon.

Yes! Add Kylie too!

1 minute ago, Karla Cabello said:

te felicado

9 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

:deadbanana4:

omg bye this flop thread needs to be shut down already

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Mariah isn't comparable to them pls. Mariahs 10s output isn't nearly as succesful as the high highs shakira, madonna and beyonce were able to achieve 24/25 years into their careers. and yes AIWFCIY keeps going #1 for two weeks a year but mariahs new material isnt succesful by a landslide

3* weeks at #1 every year, 9 weeks in the top 20. Don't do me dirty like that.

H100

2010 - #100 - Gold - Up Out My Face

2011 - #100 - Oh Santa

2011 - #86 - Gold - All I want for Christmas Is You (SuperFestive!)

2013 - #15 - 2xP - #Beautiful

2014 - #88 - You're Mine

2015 - #82 - Infinity

2017 - #89 - I Don't

2020 - #76 - Oh Santa Remix

BB200:

2010 - #4 - 587,000 sales - Merry Christmas II You

2014 - #3 - 125,000 sales - Me. I am Mariah

2015 - #29 - 120,000 sales - #1 To Infinity

2018 - #5 - 120,000 sales - Caution

2020 - #100 - 20,000 sales - Mariah's Magical Christmas Special Soundtrack

#Beautiful: (2013)

#5 - South Africa

#5 - Slovakia

#6 - Platinum - Australia

#9 - Gold - Denmark

#10 - Gold - New Zealand

#15 - 2x Platinum - USA

#22 - Silver - UK

#22 - Spain

#27 - Canada

Big Energy Remix: (2022)

#6 - 2x Platinum - Australia

#20 - Platinum - New Zealand

#20 - Ireland

#21 - Silver - UK

Moo, did well enough. Other do not have Gold and Platinum singles in individual countries. Much less that infamous Xmas classic which has hit #1 in 99% of all markets that have a single chart in the 2010s. Moo has also begun to chart 6 songs off her infamous Xmas album around the world. The Netherlands gave her 4 simultaneous charts entries last season. Even the UK gave her 3.

1 minute ago, stevyy said:

Moo, did well enough. 

not really. 25 years into her career was in 2015 aka around the time she dropped me... i am the elusive chanteuse. She didn't have any hit album or hit song out at that time like BREAK MY SOUL / Renaissance or 4 Minutes / Hard Candy or Te FeliCITO... like we all know this? the christmas song is obviously a routine thing / fluke. Her new material ain't hit like that of bey, madonna or shakira did 25 years into their careers. Madonnas last moderately succesful hit was Obsessed and her last actual hit song was Touch My Body in 2008, which was 18/19 years into her career. Not 24/25

5 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

not really. 25 years into her career was in 2015 aka around the time she dropped me... i am the elusive chanteuse. She didn't have any hit album or hit song out at that time like BREAK MY SOUL / Renaissance or 4 Minutes / Hard Candy or Te FeliCITO... like we all know this? the christmas song is obviously a routine thing / fluke. Her new material ain't hit like that of bey, madonna or shakira did 25 years into their careers. Madonnas last moderately succesful hit was Obsessed and her last actual hit song was Touch My Body in 2008, which was 18/19 years into her career. Not 24/25

:ahh: 

so name some other artists doing it. One other Xmas #1 in the last 60 years or one other artist with older music going #1. Quick.

41 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

:deadbanana4:

It's the portuguese version. :cm:

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

:ahh: 

so name some other artists doing it. One other Xmas #1 in the last 60 years or one other artist with older music going #1. Quick.

not necessarily #1 but #2... and doing highly similar numbers? Would you say Brenda Lee had a "long career" like Shakira and Beyonce just because Rockin' Around the Christmas tree has massive streams one week per year solely bc its a holiday? Holiday songs are just a routine fluke. Brenda Lee isn't considered to this regard because she doesnt do it with new material and neither does mariah. With longevity we mean a long career that is sustained because the output remains succesful / keeps hitting. Not because their back catalog gets streams. I mean new music.

5 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

not necessarily #1 but #2... and doing highly similar numbers? Would you say Brenda Lee had a "long career" like Shakira and Beyonce just because Rockin' Around the Christmas tree has massive streams one week per year solely bc its a holiday? Holiday songs are just a routine fluke. Brenda Lee isn't considered to this regard because she doesnt do it with new material and neither does mariah. With longevity we mean a long career that is sustained because the output remains succesful / keeps hitting. Not because their back catalog gets streams. I mean new music.

The answer you were avoiding giving was no one. Mariah isn't just dominating with AIWFCIY - her album moves a massive amount of units each year. She charted another album in the top 20 on B200 this year (#1s from 1998). Having a classic album/song that dominate nearly two months each year is not a "fluke," it's the type of legacy and success that all artists (including the one in your name with her Xmas music) strive for their music to have. 

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

The answer you were avoiding giving was no one. Mariah isn't just dominating with AIWFCIY - her album moves a massive amount of units each year. She charted another album in the top 20 on B200 this year (#1s from 1998). Having a classic album/song that dominate nearly two months each year is not a "fluke," it's the type of legacy and success that all artists (including the one in your name with her Xmas music) strive for their music to have. 

Yes its impressive but catalog resurgance does not equal long sustained career. those records are like you said from 1998. My intend with this thread is to highlight those artists who were able to see massive successes with new material 25 years into their career and mariah isnt part of that as of now. Its not intended as shade but i dont think mariah had a smash hit like 4 minutes, te felicito or break my soul post 2015 that is new material 

They have a good lawyer who stands up for them. Not everybody has that to their credit these days.

:coffee:

I'd say it's the combination of talent + being smart businesswomen. That's what all three have in common.

1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Yes its impressive but catalog resurgance does not equal long sustained career. those records are like you said from 1998. My intend with this thread is to highlight those artists who were able to see massive successes with new material 25 years into their career and mariah isnt part of that as of now. Its not intended as shade but i dont think mariah had a smash hit like 4 minutes, te felicito or break my soul post 2015 that is new material 

20 years of platinum+ albums and hit records PLUS annual dominance with Xmas music is longevity and sustainability no matter how you try to spin it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.