The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) | Chris Pratt | $1.3B WW | Out now on digital

Broken

The Verge wrote an article about people posting large portions of the movie on Twitter. :rip::deadbanana2:

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Broken

• dabunique

• znake

• Da Vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the revised script tailor-made for Japanese audiences and the Golden Week holidays helped it a lot in Japan, they're pretty smart in that regard :lakitu:

Let's see how it legs out amidst the competition, meanwhile it did so-so in Korea like the rest of Asia, a reverse Avatar 2 experience :dies:

I went to see this today with my nephews and I really enjoyed it! It’s a movie I’d rewatch and I’m looking forward to the inevitable sequels. 

On 4/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, justjess said:

The Verge wrote an article about people posting large portions of the movie on Twitter. :rip::deadbanana2:

it wasnt just large portions, the entire movie was uploaded in 2 parts.

Have not seen it yet but the trailer look so blank like an average Dreamwork's movie (I  know it's not a Dreamwork's project).

It needs to reach 545M to pass TLK remake domestically.  :katie:

This movie, however, seems a bit local, ~52% of overall gross so far coming from US. Maybe the overall Japan run has not yet been updated or it started to late to make a conclusion.

Aladdin was huge in Japan. It grossed there more than in China and UK combined together.

Given that Mario is a successful Japanese videogame one would expect a lot.

Edited by Aristotle

On 4/30/2023 at 1:05 PM, Da Vinci said:

Looks like the revised script tailor-made for Japanese audiences and the Golden Week holidays helped it a lot in Japan, they're pretty smart in that regard :lakitu:

Let's see how it legs out amidst the competition, meanwhile it did so-so in Korea like the rest of Asia, a reverse Avatar 2 experience :dies:

$37M from Japan so far and today is the last day of the Golden Week holidays

It debuted lower than Frozen 2 but it's stomping on all the other Illumination movies and already outgrossed Avatar 2 (flop in Japan) and No Way Home (Japan doesn't care about Marvel)

If it makes $100M+ like Frozen 2 at least that will make up for the rest of Asia's lukewarm reception :dies: 

Now I'm really curious about that Japanese version with the "significantly different script" :priceless:

After dominating April is amazing fashion (with incredible weekend holds at that), GOTG3 stealing IMAX and PLFs seems to have hurt Mario quite a bit. 

$18-20M weekend coming. Incredibles 2 record is pretty much safe. 

Still a magnificent run. Reminds me of Jurassic World's run when it exploded in 2015. 

Just watched this and it was super fun

if you are someone who is not a gamer/grew up with Mario then yeah it's really just an average kids movie but the amount of nostalgia and game stuff really pulled me in

21 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Have not seen it yet but the trailer look so blank like an average Dreamwork's movie (I  know it's not a Dreamwork's project).

It needs to reach 545M to pass TLK remake domestically.  :katie:

This movie, however, seems a bit local, ~52% of overall gross so far coming from US. Maybe the overall Japan run has not yet been updated or it started to late to make a conclusion.

Aladdin was huge in Japan. It grossed there more than in China and UK combined together.

Given that Mario is a successful Japanese videogame one would expect a lot.

International gross (not updated with record-breaking Japanese and South Korean weeks) is $545,252,904 and domestic gross is $503,727,705. It’s about to be the biggest film ever in Mexico and it’ll have staggering numbers in Japan, South Korea and France, too. 

It only disappointed in a few Asian markets, but at least that leaves room for growth.

18 hours ago, Eternium said:

International gross (not updated with record-breaking Japanese and South Korean weeks) is $545,252,904 and domestic gross is $503,727,705. It’s about to be the biggest film ever in Mexico and it’ll have staggering numbers in Japan, South Korea and France, too. 

It only disappointed in a few Asian markets, but at least that leaves room for growth.

It will pass TLK in US.

The domestic cinema run for Super Mario Bros from 5 April - 5 May reached 504M dollars in Box Office.

On the other hand domestic cinema run for TLK from 19 Jul - 19 Aug reached 497M which a HUGE opening week. 

It is doing awful in China compared to other markets but they cut 65%-70% of the earnings from the studio anyways. Better to underperform there than elsewhere.

How much does the Japanese cinema cut off from the studio's earning?

53 minutes ago, Broken said:

So now it's at 517M in US. TLK wig is gone before June. 

On 4/27/2023 at 12:03 PM, MaoMars said:

I need a grace randolph gif for that

Her review about the movie was so pathetic and expected of her :bibliahh:

Grace Randolph | Names her stans The Beyonders - Page 120 - Entertainment -  ATRL

I saw this this week and it was fun. Lumalee is a legend :giraffe:

The movie is good, it's a visually feast full of easter eggs.  

I enjoyed it.  

It’s such a great film! Can’t wait for the sequel! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.