Ariana Grande or Katy Perry - better discography and bigger household name?

yeezytaughtme

Ariana Grande or Katy Perry  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the bigger household name today?

2. 2. Who has the better discography of music/more timeless music?

3. 3. Who has the bigger career overall today?

Katy still feels like the bigger name to me (for now) her peak and star power from 2008-2014 felt much more bigger and impactful. 

Although 1 more hit album from Ari and id say she'll overtake Katy as the bigger musician and overall career 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• AMIT

• PopKills

• yeezytaughtme

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Delirious said:

Even the monthly listeners / daily streams prove it

Ariana has more monthly listeners and out streams her in every streaming platform :rip:

OT: Ariana for all, they’re kinda tied for the bigger career but since Ariana is moving more units weekly I’d go with her 

50 minutes ago, CakeLikeLG said:

?

47 minutes ago, Gerardo said:

Ariana has more monthly listeners and out streams her in every streaming platform :rip:

OT: Ariana for all, they’re kinda tied for the bigger career but since Ariana is moving more units weekly I’d go with her 

Katy debuted in 2008. Ariana in 2013. that's a 5 year difference. and ariana debuted and peaked during the streaming era which already puts her at a tremendous advanatage. Katy peaked just before the streaming era began.

Katy has 44m monthly listeners + better daily streams. Ariana has 51.7m monthly listeners (she also gets a lot of monthly listeners thanks to her collabs with The Weeknd and Bieber who are both the #2 and #1 artists with the most monthly listeners on Spotify atm meanwhile KAty doesn't get that advantage). The difference is less than 8m when it should be more for an artist who's literally 10 years younger + had their entire discography released during the streaming era....

Edited by Delirious

Ariana has a better discography by far. She is also far more talented. 

Katy has had the bigger hits, and the bigger peak. Ariana hasn't and probably never will have a TD sized era. 

As for more popular today, Ariana - especially with the younger generation. They do vaguely know Katy, though, but not in the same way millennials do. 

Ariana for all. Katy wishes she has half of what Ariana has overall. :rip:

Ariana

Ariana

Katy

Ariana's peak (2016-2019) is over and it was nowhere close to Katy's early 2010s run. 

17 minutes ago, Delirious said:

Katy debuted in 2008. Ariana in 2013. that's a 5 year difference. and ariana debuted and peaked during the streaming era which already puts her at a tremendous advanatage. Katy peaked just before the streaming era began.

Katy has 44m monthly listeners + better daily streams. Ariana has 51.7m monthly listeners (she also gets a lot of monthly listeners thanks to her collabs with The Weeknd and Bieber who are both the #2 and #1 artists with the most monthly listeners on Spotify atm meanwhile KAty doesn't get that advantage). The difference is less than 8m when it should be more for an artist who's literally 10 years younger + had their entire discography released during the streaming era....

Spilled :clap3:

Ariana is definitely one of the biggest music star today while Katy's popularity is declining so Ari's the bigger household name

Kat has Firework so she has a timeless classic when Ari hasn't proved that yet.

Kat's hits are bigger than Ari's i guess

14 minutes ago, Phantom said:

As for more popular today, Ariana - especially with the younger generation. They do vaguely know Katy, though, but not in the same way millennials do. 

....No?

We don't vaguely know her. I'm a Gen Z and Katy Perry was literally part of my childhood (and many others as well). While Ariana Grande is nowadays bigger among us, Katy Perry is still also a very well-known artist. We weren't born from 2010-2015 :rip: Fireworks is a song EVERY Gen Z knows, Roar is a nostalgic hit for us and her other smashes like like Dark Horse and Teenage Dream are certified Gen Z classics. Not only that, but Harleys in Hawaii was just trending on Tik Tok a few months ago and the audio from her recent food commercial is also very viral. 

Edited by Blackout2006

It depends on who you ask. Millennials and Gen X know who Katy Perry is. Gen X were the parents who didn’t want their kids watching the California Gurls MV because it was too sexuals. Millenials were in their early 20s when Katy blew up. Gen Z is way more familiar with Ariana than they are Katy, especially Gen Z born after 2003

Katy for all three but Ariana will definitely be a bigger artists overall one day

It's obvious how young some of you are cause you clearly weren't paying attention to pop music between 2008 and 2014. Ariana is the bigger name now but Katy's peak is insurmountable to Ariana at this point in her career. Songs like 7 Rings, Problem, or Save Your Tears are/were nowhere near the cultural relevance of songs like I Kissed A Girl, Firework, or Dark Horse. 

The one who doesn't reference serial killers who tortured, dismembered and ate people in her songs.

Ariana's bigger now obviously but Katy at the very least has a classic song under her belt. Ariana's hits are big at the time but have no staying power. It's honestly surprising how low her daily streams are for her albums/hits for such an overall streaming juggernaut.

52 minutes ago, LeMésTragique said:

The one who doesn't reference serial killers who tortured, dismembered and ate people in her songs.

Referencing that is a bad thing because? 

1. Ariana

2. Ariana

3. Debatable - but Ariana will have the bigger career in the end anyway 

4 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Ariana is more known today, in fact she’s always been a bigger celeb than Katy who was never that relevant or big tabloid fodder.

Neither makes timeless music but Katy’s catalogue of hits alone is more timeless than Ariana’s music, which is possibly the best example of music that’s of the moment

Their overall careers are about even but Ariana still has a little bit of steam left I guess so she has the edge.

This perfectly answered this question. Ariana reluctantly has become the bigger household name, Katy discography by default is more timeless as she isn't able to get any hits anymore  but is still top 20 females on Spotify, and Ariana has the bigger overall career by just a smidge.

To be honest, I think Ariana only really has 7Rings and Bang Bang as undisputable classics, and with Bieber 'baby' and 'love yourself'. They're both the epitome of the opposite of a legacy artist. I guess one day they will work on that through Scooter.

Edited by Mr. Stratus

Katy is and will be a bigger name lmao. 

Ariana has no classics, nothing about her is memorable apart from her ponytail

Ariana's discography is far better imo. I don't consider any Katy Perry albums to be good bodies of work and critics seem to agree.

Overall career, I think Ariana will surpass her (if she hasn't already) cause yes Katy dominated for 5 years or so at heights that Ariana did not achieve, but Katy's basically a nostalgia act now whereas Ariana seems to be continuing on a consistent career path for almost a decade now.

Bigger household name depends on who you ask lol. Gen z/young millennials + their parents will probs say Ariana Grande, whereas any older would be a toss-up.

I think Ariana surpassed Katy overall,as for discographies they're both mediocre but Ariana takes this one as well.

Ariana's discography is way better and more consistent to me. Katy doesn't have any great albums and the closest to that is Teenage Dream which still has its meh moments.

Katy had the bigger peak but Ariana is definitely surpassing her overall career (or already did) because her success is consistent and she hasn't really tanked for a decade now. 

Katy is obviously still known to Gen Z because her TD hits alone will keep her out there forever, but Ariana is a bigger name and has been a bigger celeb for a while now so I don't understand the sheer delusion in this thread. :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.