Kim Petras drags Pitchfork over Teenage Dream review, shades Billie Eilish

Psylocke

The nerve :ahh:

Not only she works with a rapist but she makes uninspired generic music, the audacity to attack Billie for no reason :dies: 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alfred

• Virtual_Insanity

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Blue Monday

TD is a BAD album with a few dtellar tracks with the redt being absolute filler material.

8 hours ago, bad guy said:

Pitchfork has definitely lost credibility but not in the way she thinks. Them giving TD a 6.8 when in reality it deserves a 5 (if we're being generous) is a direct result of poptimism. Outside of a few singles the album is complete garbage and completely disposable. Luckily for Katy she scored some hits off it so it'll have some good recurrent streams but she's not an artist and has never been. That's not being pretentious either, she genuinely has nothing to say in her music which is fine but let's not act like Katy and TD is something it's not just because of how the singles did on the charts :deadbanana:

As for Kim shading Billie, the jokes write themselves. She's 30 rehashing Dr. Luke's pop filler scraps and with no success, while Billie is 20 with once in a lifetime success by being true to herself and her artistry. A leader vs. a follower. I'd be mad too if I put all my eggs in the basket of a rapist.

Cleared :clap3:

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

Not the abundant TD slander in this thread.

Y'all need to check yourselves and recognize this body of work as a vital contribution to modern 21st century pop music. It is one of the best pop albums of all time. The criticism that it lacks a narrative... girl this is Katy Perry music not Fiona Apple. Bubble gum pop hardly follows a narrative and sometimes it's okay to appreciate the music for what it is. Pop is escapism. It's paired with colorful, vibrant visuals, dance, and campy costuming. Just because TD wasn't an album about a breakup doesn't make it any less valid. 

220px-Katy_Perry_-_Teenage_Dream_(album)

:alexz:

This. I cannot with the Teenage Dream slander. It's so good it got a lot of hits. And its recurrent streams are testament to how timeless the album is. It's not Katy's fault that the singles became hits and that some people "feel" like it's a playlist. It's a great pop album, one of the best pop albums in recent times. Pearl, Who Am I Living For, Not Like The Movies and Hummingbird Heartbeat are great tracks in addition to the collection of brilliant singles.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, Psylocke said:

Did she lie though?

I mean she didn't lie. Billie's music is just as mainstream pop as Katy, but it's packaged in a gloomy, edgy aesthetic so P*tchfork automatically respects it while turning up their nose at Katy's music.

It's hilarious that everyone thinks "whisper pop about depression" is Billie Eilish. If you know exactly what it is - you can't be mad at Kim lmao. Queen as always.

1 hour ago, hardbrit said:

Did she lie though?

Not once.

3 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

I mean she didn't lie. Billie's music is just as mainstream pop as Katy, but it's packaged in a gloomy, edgy aesthetic so P*tchfork automatically respects it while turning up their nose at Katy's music.

im crying there's no way you just said their music is the same :bibliahh:  there's 0 wrong with any of their styles but saying they make the same type of music is just dumb :rip:

mind you, pitchfork doesn't like billie and hasn't rated wwafa much higher than TD either, y'all live in a universe of your own :rip:

3 hours ago, Tropical said:

It's hilarious that everyone thinks "whisper pop about depression" is Billie Eilish. If you know exactly what it is - you can't be mad at Kim lmao. Queen as always.

so we're gonna pretend as though that exact description wasn't used exclusively to discredit billie's album and its success? let's be serious for a sec

20 hours ago, bad guy said:

Pitchfork has definitely lost credibility but not in the way she thinks. Them giving TD a 6.8 when in reality it deserves a 5 (if we're being generous) is a direct result of poptimism. Outside of a few singles the album is complete garbage and completely disposable. Luckily for Katy she scored some hits off it so it'll have some good recurrent streams but she's not an artist and has never been. That's not being pretentious either, she genuinely has nothing to say in her music which is fine but let's not act like Katy and TD is something it's not just because of how the singles did on the charts :deadbanana:

As for Kim shading Billie, the jokes write themselves. She's 30 rehashing Dr. Luke's pop filler scraps and with no success, while Billie is 20 with once in a lifetime success by being true to herself and her artistry. A leader vs. a follower. I'd be mad too if I put all my eggs in the basket of a rapist.

Just say u hate katy perry and go. Like this was unnecessary, she is an artist and has a lot to say in her music. By generalizing her music to “nothing to say” just shows me u don’t know her discography. N there fore your opinion, means nothing. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Espresso said:

My problem with Teenage Dream largely isn't even the songs themselves, to be honest (other than obviously trolling like Peacock).

The songwriting with a traditional structure that is aiming for radio hits for me is ok and could be worse. My problem is mostly the production and the person singing them. Katy's caterwauling and the chintzy production grates for me still, having tried to get back into it. 

Katy's vocal tone when trying to belt has always sounded like a cat being strangled and I'd always questioned if she had a throat issue. Unlike Kelly or even Pink, I still don't think she knows how to belt properly.

Especially the (bizarrely) praised (except for the Chicago Tribune) title track where both her delivery and the production landing on the downbeat turn what could have been a great song into a Kidz Bop cheeseball corny mess.

A switch on all the songs to Bonnie McKee alone would make the majority of the album tolerable for me, even enjoyable.

Trying so hard… n for what. 

11 minutes ago, Arturdork said:

Trying so hard… n for what. 

Problem? This is a discussion forum and nothing will change the residuals she's getting from it so good for her. 

Besides that, Katy is fine with her endorsement deals, kid and Orlando seeing as her recording career is over once the residency wraps.

Maybe she'll get into acting and hopefully not endorse any more greedy bigots like Rick Caruso or incel icons like Joe Rogan.

And in the meantime come clean regarding Josh Kloss' assault.

2 hours ago, Arturdork said:

Just say u hate katy perry and go. Like this was unnecessary, she is an artist and has a lot to say in her music. By generalizing her music to “nothing to say” just shows me u don’t know her discography. N there fore your opinion, means nothing. 

There is nothing complex lyrically about any of her music. She puts out pop music they play in stores like Gap or Target. My opinion is shared with critics who have panned every album of hers for this, as well as the GP who've stopped listening to her for almost a decade now.

9 minutes ago, bad guy said:

There is nothing complex lyrically about any of her music. She puts out pop music they play in stores like Gap or Target. My opinion is shared with critics who have panned every album of hers for this, as well as the GP who've stopped listening to her for almost a decade now.

This take is so common towards pop music and one I strongly disagree with. First of all, what does "lyrically complex" mean? A Lana Del Rey album? Joni Mitchell? Katy is not those artists. Also, why does "good" or "respectable" music need to be lyrically complex in the first place? Creating a pop hit that's an inescapable earworm is an art form. Crafting something for the masses that can be easily digestible and universal. Choosing melodies that are dynamic, making the verse grow into the pre-chorus then explode into an insanely catchy chorus. Sorry but that's not easy to do.

It's funny how people cavalierly undermine Katy's music simply bc she isn't presenting herself as anything but a California Gurl. It's also straight up wrong to argue TD lacks depth or a message. The album touches on an array of topics: self-love (Firework), a toxic relationship (Circle the Drain), young love (Hummingbird Heartbreak), heartbreak (The One That Got Away), female empowerment (Pearl) and of course youth (Teenage Dream/Cali Gurls). Those are all pretty diverse in subject. Just bc you don't ~like~ the music itself doesn't mean she's not an artist with a perspective. I mean, she sings about suicide ideation in By the Grace of God (from PRISM)... you still think that's having "nothing to say"?

P.S. What's wrong with Katy Perry music being played in stores like Gap or Target? If I hear Katy out in public I get a serotonin rush and immediately enjoy my day. Tell me how that's a bad thing.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:25 PM, Alfred said:

Keep being transphobic!

You are so deeply unserious :rip:

9 minutes ago, unino said:

the double KP causing all these fumes :foxaylove3:

KP & KP KeeP these jealous ***** pressed!

17 hours ago, idleavealone said:

im crying there's no way you just said their music is the same :bibliahh:  there's 0 wrong with any of their styles but saying they make the same type of music is just dumb :rip:

You're correct, I did not say their music is the same. I said that Billie's music is just as mainstream and pop as Katy's, but the way it's packaged makes music critics revere her more while seeing Katy as a joke.

Teenage Dream is a great album, but Kim is only defending it because Luke produced it, so I hope she slams her finger in a car door. 

1 minute ago, carpetbeetle said:

Teenage Dream is a great album, but Kim is only defending it because Luke produced it, so I hope she slams her finger in a car door. 

in her defense, at the end of the day he is a top notch pop producer. Those Kesha, Katy and Riri hits are literal pop perfection ca. 2008-2011. His earlier work with K Clarkson is excellent as well. 

On 10/4/2022 at 2:51 AM, Phantom said:

This girl's borderline MK-Ultra'd serve to spring to action when anything Luke related is remotely critiqued

On 10/4/2022 at 12:35 AM, bad guy said:

:deadbanana2:

4 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

You're correct, I did not say their music is the same. I said that Billie's music is just as mainstream and pop as Katy's, but the way it's packaged makes music critics revere her more while seeing Katy as a joke.

Billie's music is in no way as mainstream or as pop as Katy's is. Billie leans way more into alternative, her music being alt pop. My point is that Katy's music is way more accessible to the masses, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.