Billy blames flop movie on straight people

Stepfon

That trailer was a mess to be honest. Maybe the movie isn't just as good as he tries to portray it. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Protocol

• TanjiroKamado

• Stepfon

• JBJT2786

5 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Of course he'd use the "homophobia" excuse. :toofunny3: I'm willing to bet that many of the critics who panned the movie were members of the LGBT community.

In all fairness members of the LBGT community can be some of the most homophobic people.

2 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

Some of you are just not even trying to hide the blatant homophobia you harbour and spew anymore. I mean, "Stop forcing your sh*t onto straight people when they are not comfortable with your situation"? What situation? Tf? :rip:

lately hollywood has been pumping out movies with gay characters expecting the gp/straights to eat it up but the truth is they never will and you know why. give it a rest

FASHION-ICON-NINGNING.gif

Edited by TanjiroKamado

1 minute ago, TanjiroKamado said:

hey im all for gay representation but dont expect straight men to storm theaters to watch this cause why would they????

It wouldn't need straight men even. Getting the women in would be enough. Maybe they shoulda had Colton Haynes in the film. He's more popular than Billy certainly.

It's flopping for two reasons:

1) The trailer aggressively makes it seem like (and the film actually is) not just a rom com but an overall comment on issues beyond gay into queer, lesbian, LGBT, etc territory, which makes it seem like it's going to be cringe and a lecture

2) There are zero recognizable actors in the movie. Billy Eichner has less than 1M followers on Instagram. He's not even a celebrity let alone a star

The movie is two days old :deadbanana2: Get class and save the floppage talk for years from now, like Mariah with Glitter

He’s so full of himself :rip: 

No one wants to watch that corny mess with top and bottom twitter jokes. 

1 minute ago, anti-***** said:

It wouldn't need straight men even. Getting the women in would be enough. Maybe they shoulda had Colton Haynes in the film. He's more popular than Billy certainly.

straight women are just as homophobic as men and you know it. maybe they have a shot if they cast someone like chris hemsworth and have them make out butt naked.

28 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

People supported Brokeback Mountain, Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name and Dear Simon.

This just isn’t clicking, I saw the trailer in the cinema and remember not being impressed with it.

Brokeback Mountain: $83.0M

Love, Simon: $40.8M

Moonlight: $27.8M

Call Me By Your Name: $18.1M

While Brokeback was a success, it also had two straight leading men stars in the lead roles, and it had immense media and award season hype. Love, Simon was highly sanitized/PG and appealing to the teenage female gaze (the Harry Styles of gay movies). And those are literally the only two gay movies of recent history that can be considered remotely a hit.

Moonlight and CMBYN were flops. Those are not impressive totals, and they were also buoyed by huge award season hype which Bros does not have.

So no there isn't really a track record of gay movies doing well at all. While this opening is disappointing, it's not unexpected. By and large, straight people do not come out for gay content. Fire Island wasn't a huge streaming hit. Queer as Folk is cancelled after one season.

7 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

lately hollywood has been pumping out movies with gay characters expecting straights to eat it up but the truth is they never will. give it a rest

I could honestly not give any less of a **** if straight people "eat up" queer media, and that's why i don't think we should try and cater to them. However, your comment suggested that lgbt people are "forcing" our "sh*t" onto them, and to me that's clearly just a right-wing talkpoint. What's being forced onto them? Just curious as to what you might be referring to.

Edited by ninasayers

3 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

straight women are just as homophobic as men and you know it. maybe they have a shot if they cast someone like chris hemsworth and have them make out butt naked.

some of them fetishize gay men though. maybe that's why Brokeback Mountain did relatively well, because it had that eye candy for women too. ( i know the actors were straight)

Edited by anti-bitch

I'm a gay man

Watched the trailer the other day and didn't laugh once :cm: I'll pass especially now considering how he is acting 

1 minute ago, ninasayers said:

I could honestly not give any less of a **** if straight people "eat up" queer media, and that's why i don't think we should try and cater to them. However, your comment suggested that lgbt people are "forcing" our "sh*t" onto them, and to me that's clearly just a right-wing talkpoint. What's being forced onto them? Just curious as to what you might be referring to.

I have reported that user for ZTP for homophobia. Hopefully the mods will get rid of it soon.

u know , if he had did something inventive with this movie and not made it the prototypical rom-com but with gays , maybe it would have did something

but as a gay man that lives in NYC and is expected to relate to this experience …..? he wants me to believe his troll lookin ass bagged the man that he did in this movie ??? that is simply not how gay dating (in NYC) works in 2022 Mr Billy Eichner. he shoulda just made it about two sub average looking, funny gays finding love in a sea of braindead models. but he wanted to fall into the same trappings of movies that have been made a hundred times over. also, as far as gay media goes, how many times do we have to go through the rigamaroll of “oMg WhAt iS GriNdR iVe NeVeR dOnE tHiS b4” *ss type content from gays ??? give us something we can work with !! stop making movies meant to be palatable for straight people and give us the real gay experience or just give up the ghost f*ggot !!

4 minutes ago, Protocol said:

While Brokeback was a success, it also had two straight leading men stars in the lead roles, and it had immense media and award season hype. Love, Simon was highly sanitized/PG and appealing to the teenage female gaze (the Harry Styles of gay movies). And those are literally the only two gay movies of recent history that can be considered remotely a hit.

Moonlight and CMBYN were flops. Those are not impressive totals, and they were also buoyed by huge award season hype which Bros does not have.

So no there isn't really a track record of gay movies doing well at all. While this opening is disappointing, it's not unexpected. By and large, straight people do not come out for gay content. Fire Island wasn't a huge streaming hit. Queer as Folk is cancelled after one season.

Moonlight cost $1.5M to make and made $65.3M and won THREE Oscars, flop where? :skull:

16 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

???

nothing comes to mind

Broke Back Mountain? Moonlight? 

21 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Of course he'd use the "homophobia" excuse. :toofunny3: I'm willing to bet that many of the critics who panned the movie were members of the LGBT community.

Can you read? The movie isn't panned. :coffee2:

2 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

What's being forced onto them? Just curious as to what you might be referring to.

its in the comment youre replying to.

the guy in the op is complaining about straights not watching. why would they watch. do you expect a bunch of straight guys going to the theater watching men make out. that would be so awkward. he sounds like the gay guy in my class who would always act ultra gay and fish for attention and be in everyones face

I'LL REPEAT WHAT I SAID IN ANOTHER THREAD:

it's a cis white gay R-rated romantic comedy. The homophobes weren't gonna see it ( so there goes a 40% of the country that watch movies) and the POCs weren't gonna support a gay film about two white dudes and stereotypes no matter how good it is. It's R-rated. Add in the claims that this is the first major studio gay film ( it aint) and Billy's meltdowns on Twitter and there you go.

Honestly if Disney was smart they should've released Fire Island in theaters back in June and that would've done much  better than Bros especially since FI had more noise on Social Media than this when it released.

26 minutes ago, Cloy said:

Those movies were BO duds that were carried by critical acclaim in the form of reviews, nominations, or awards. 

BM made 178 million off a 14 million budget.  Moonlight made 65 million off a 1.5 million budget. CMYN made 42 million off a 3.5 million budget. Love Simon made 66 million off a 10 million budget.

At least know what you're talking about before speaking so you don't embarrass yourself.

3 minutes ago, qurl said:

u know , if he had did something inventive with this movie and not made it the prototypical rom-com but with gays , maybe it would have did something

but as a gay man that lives in NYC and is expected to relate to this experience …..? he wants me to believe his troll lookin ass bagged the man that he did in this movie ??? that is simply not how gay dating (in NYC) works in 2022 Mr Billy Eichner. he shoulda just made it about two sub average looking, funny gays finding love in a sea of braindead models. but he wanted to fall into the same trappings of movies that have been made a hundred times over. also, as far as gay media goes, how many times do we have to go through the rigamaroll of “oMg WhAt iS GriNdR iVe NeVeR dOnE tHiS b4” *ss type content from gays ??? give us something we can work with !! stop making movies meant to be palatable for straight people and give us the real gay experience or just give up the ghost f*ggot !!

I liked the movie but this made me scream and is low key true. Miss Eichner just wanted to live her gets-the-jock fantasy but IRL Luke McFarlane would NOT couple up with him unless it was a sugar daddy situation

Besides at the end of the movie the 'happily ever after' is unrealistic because eventually the hottie would ask for an open relationship and Miss Billy would get jealous and it would all end in tears

yENlTW.thumb.png.c7ba7f026880bb13907e012

8 minutes ago, Protocol said:

I have reported that user for ZTP for homophobia. Hopefully the mods will get rid of it soon.

im literally bi?????

12 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Now do WW grosses. Selective much?

I saw the movie and it was really "meh". I don't get the critics' obsession with this one. I thought Bobby as a protagonist was really whiny and obnoxious which made getting through the movie a chore. I was disappointed because Billy is hilarious on his own.

I had a really big issue with the movie's reliance on raunchy humour. It reinforces a harmful stereotype that all gay men are non-monogamous nymphomaniacs enthralled in sexually deviant behaviour. I also did not appreciate the BIPOC queer characters being tokenized. Like making "white cis gays!!1!!" jokes would only be funny if the entire plot didn't actually revolve around white cis gays. It just comes across as super cringe/pandering. 

2 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

I saw the movie and it was really "meh". I don't get the critics' obsession with this one. I thought Bobby as a protagonist was really whiny and obnoxious which made getting through the movie a chore. I was disappointed because Billy is hilarious on his own.

I had a really big issue with the movie's reliance on raunchy humour. It reinforces a harmful stereotype that all gay men are non-monogamous nymphomaniacs enthralled in sexually deviant behaviour. I also did not appreciate the BIPOC queer characters being tokenized. Like making "white cis gays!!1!!" jokes would only be funny if the entire plot didn't actually revolve around white cis gays. It just comes across as super cringe/pandering. 

Sorry you had to go through that. Really glad I went to see Smile instead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.