Why is Spotify continually given precedence on ATRL over Apple Music?

Bey Admired

It’s giving racism to me. 

Apple Music, in the US, has a bigger subscriber base than Spotify. However, because Apple Music’s subscriber base ostensibly has more black people, it’s often disregarded and diminished as a viable metric of an artists streaming power. 

Example: 

Beyoncé  dominates Apple Music in a way that, arguably, no other female artist does. And yet, the white twinks of ATRL continuously try to push the narrative that she is poor on streaming because her Spotify numbers are not as good (despite the fact that her Spotify numbers are pretty great and consistent for someone 25 years into her career who had all but abandoned streaming up until 2 years after the release of Lemonade). 

Essentially, my point is that Beyoncé has an exceptionally diverse fanbase and her listeners are often spread somewhat equally on both Spotify and Apple Music.

But let’s compare that to a white female artist such as Lady Gaga. Her streams on Spotify are okay (Renaissance, as a matter of fact, is actually performing much more consistently on Spotify than Chromatica did), but her AM performance is somewhat abysmal. 

The same goes for Taylor Swift. She can never seem to get a stronghold on AM in the way she does Spotify (because the majority of her listeners are white and Spotify users). 

But curiously, they are never criticised or held to account for their subpar performance on AM. Whereas, Beyoncé is consistently put down by ATRL for not having the same streaming numbers as Taylor and other white female artists on Spotify. Seriously, ask yourself why that is and be honest with yourself. It’s because of your implicit bias. 

It’s very simple, it all comes down to a blatant disrespect for black artists and black music listeners. 

It’s time to start treating AM with the same respect as Spotify, particularly in the US. 

Enough of the Spotify supremacy. It’s time to start treating black music listeners with the same respect as white listeners. 

Thank you. 

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bey Admired

• Armani?

• Steve Johnson

• Badgalbriel

Unknown User

People favor the one where their favorite artists do better which might be Spotify for most

I feel like if AM started releasing statistics like Spotify does it would become a lot more widely discussed with chart talk. I don’t know why they don’t.

It is about the numerical transparency but you’re right, this site is extremely Eurocentric. They’re comfortable calling Taylor and Bey local when they demolish most other female artists even without being “”as big in Europe”” as some of the other girls. Apple Music is an extremely relevant metric in the US — look at what Summer Walker has achieved on the wings of AM — and it should be respected as such in Bey’s case.

Edited by WeFoundTrouble

"It’s giving racism to me." Jesus. 

Because Spotify gives you CONCRETE numbers that are easier to use in stan wars. Don't be so dense. It's Friday. 

Because numbers. It's not that deep, methinks.

Also, Spotify is the biggest and most global streaming app.

Edited by ToMmY

7 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

The same goes for Taylor Swift. She can never seem to get a stronghold on AM in the way she does Spotify (because the majority of her listeners are white and Spotify users). 

Did you really check the Apple Music chart before saying this crap?

Other female artists have have zero or one album charting in top 200. Folklore in top 50 since July.

Edited by Steve Johnson

4 minutes ago, Devin said:

Because Spotify displays stats and streaming numbers.

Basically this :cm: We know AM is embarrassed about their daily streaming numbers.

Edited by unclefloprry

Well you said it, AM is only an American thing, and more global means more popular.

Not everything is racist.

Beyoncé is doing well regardless, I don't think it's that deep. 

6 minutes ago, Devin said:

Because Spotify displays stats and streaming numbers.

:psyduck:

10 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

It’s giving racism to me. 

Immediately stopped reading

If we want to go for racism route, let’s talk about how yall Spotify and AM stans dismiss Youtube streams cuz it’s no longer dominated by White/Black artists but by Asian/Latin artists!

11 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

I feel like if AM started releasing statistics like Spotify does it would become a lot more widely discussed with chart talk. I don’t know why they don’t.

Just this.  Literally.  

What is this nonsense? :rip:

Taylor is literally the most streamed female artist of all time on Apple music. 1989, Lover and folklore are one of the longest running female albums ever in the top 100. She literally has the most albums charting on the AM chart along with Drake n YBNBA.

Isnt folklore still hovering around top 50 or so after 2 years with no hit while being a sound that AM users dont care for? How is that not having a strong hold on AM??

You were saying this same **** last year with 30 while kept putting down Taylor now where is 30 yeah I thought so :gaycat6:

1. Spotify is bigger than Apple Music

2. Apple Music don't show their streaming numbers so it's easier to use Spotify for receipts

3. most pop girls flop on Apple Music so pop stans don't really care about it

i think if AM showed their numbers stans would've cared more about it

5 minutes ago, MardinBeksloy said:

If we want to go for racism route, let’s talk about how yall Spotify and AM stans dismiss Youtube streams cuz it’s no longer dominated by White/Black artists but by Asian/Latin artists!

K-pop and Latin artists dominate the platform, and suddenly youtube stats are meaningless :rip: 

• ATRL Moderator

Apple Music is bigger than Spotify in the US actually. The lack of numbers is what keeps it from being discussed more. 

Scott Borchetta
14 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

Beyoncé  dominates Apple Music in a way that, arguably, no other female artist does. And yet, the white twinks of ATRL continuously try to push the narrative that she is poor on streaming because her Spotify numbers are not as good (despite the fact that her Spotify numbers are pretty great and consistent for someone 25 years into her career who had all but abandoned streaming up until 2 years after the release of Lemonade). 

Essentially, my point is that Beyoncé has an exceptionally diverse fanbase and her listeners are often spread somewhat equally on both Spotify and Apple Music.

But curiously, they are never criticised or held to account for their subpar performance on AM. Whereas, Beyoncé is consistently put down by ATRL for not having the same streaming numbers as Taylor and other white female artists on Spotify. Seriously, ask yourself why that is and be honest with yourself. It’s because of your implicit bias. 

Are the poor Taylor AM streams in the room with us right now?

MPG albums on AM US:

Taylor Swift:

#55 - folklore

#81 - evermore

#98 - RED TV

#136 - Lover

#145 - 1989

#151 - reputation

Summer Walker:

#56 - Still Over It

#92 - Over It

Beyonce:

#4 - Rennaisance

SZA:

#53 - SZA

Olivia:
#67 - SOUR

Billie Eilish:

#125 - Happier Than Ever

Doja Cat:

#137 - Plant Her

Rihanna:

#148 - ANTI

Adele:

#154 - 30

2 minutes ago, Scott Borchetta said:

Are the poor Taylor AM streams in the room with us right now?

MPG albums on AM US:

Taylor Swift:

#55 - folklore

#81 - evermore

#98 - RED TV

#136 - Lover

#145 - 1989

#151 - reputation

Exactly, She is the most streamed female artist of all time on that platform. OP being delusional as always. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.