Taylor Swift - ‘Midnights’

Almodusa

These may not be “vault tracks” as we know them, but I do think it’s entirely possible that she occasionally writes a song and upon reviewing it, intentionally puts it away for a later project where it fits better. When she pulls it back out because she has a spark of inspiration for a full album that fits it, she can always do some rewriting and tweaking so it feels fresh. I’ve had a pet theory that she’s doing that behind the scenes for TS13 and I wouldn’t be surprised if some songs for this kind of concept go through that kind of life cycle as well.

• Replies 51.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• By the Water

• Squall

• simmnfierzig

My theory is that she was writing fake vault tracks for Speak Now and 1989 rerecordings and realized the **** was in different areas and too good to be demoted to the vault status. 

Edited by Jaspurr

My opinion is that going into the re-recordings just made her relive some of her past experiences and she decided to write songs about them in a retrospective way. I don't think the songs are vault tracks.

42 minutes ago, By the Water said:

She may have gotten inspiration for these tracks while re-recording but these are not gonna be vault tracks :rip: She's obviously still going through with them so she'll need those in the future. Unless you think these are Lover rejects

I think Lover only had two songs shelved if I remember right. They were called "Need" and "All of the Girls". :matty:

I'm excited for this! The folklore things and Taylor Versions were getting old but a fresh new album - damn serve it mama. 

I really do not like the album cover. The actual photo itself is cool & would make a good cover, but the text and border is just not it. I felt like Taylor & the fans were under this consensus she was doing textless album covers for all the albums she owns & this ruins that.

I also feel a little bit thrown off. I was personally in a Taylor's Version era at the moment. And Taylor releasing two 1989 TV singles, it felt like that's the album we would be getting next. I wish she could be a bit more transparent about what's going on with the re-records.

However, I am excited for new Taylor music. This year has felt a little dry in terms of album releases.

Honestly I feel really underwhelmed by this announcement. I'm always so excited for any new Taylor releases, and I am excited, but it feels different this time. Releasing a new album in the middle of this weird Taylor's Version rollout doesn't make sense to me.

12 minutes ago, Boysdontcry said:

I really do not like the album cover. The actual photo itself is cool & would make a good cover, but the text and border is just not it. I felt like Taylor & the fans were under this consensus she was doing textless album covers for all the albums she owns & this ruins that.

I also feel a little bit thrown off. I was personally in a Taylor's Version era at the moment. And Taylor releasing two 1989 TV singles, it felt like that's the album we would be getting next. I wish she could be a bit more transparent about what's going on with the re-records.

However, I am excited for new Taylor music. This year has felt a little dry in terms of album releases.

To be fair, the very first album she released under her own ownership had text on the cover - the textless thing only started with Folklore and I can see why she’d move away from it if she’s intending the Folklore/Evermore extended era to be over.

As for transparency, I agree, but I also think the legal issues that are holding her up for a few rerecordings are complete crap anyway and I’m sure she’s sick of even thinking about them.

She’s honestly the only one that keeps  pop music interesting. So perched :clap3:

-

8 hours ago, Bang Up said:

y'all really don't know how lucky you are. your fave is able to release music whenever she wants without her label interfering. :jonny: must be nice.

i knew she didn't show up to the irrelevant vmas last night for nothing. that's so beneath her. unlike some who had to attend and perform because it's the only relevance they have, taylor exploited the vmas to announce her new album. that's a power move.

She’s bigger than the VMA’s by miles, and she knows it. :clap3:

6 hours ago, youreyesgocold said:

The way she’s coming to f*ck sh*t up. 

spacer.png

I cackled :rip: 

5 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

To be fair, the very first album she released under her own ownership had text on the cover - the textless thing only started with Folklore and I can see why she’d move away from it if she’s intending the Folklore/Evermore extended era to be over.

As for transparency, I agree, but I also think the legal issues that are holding her up for a few rerecordings are complete crap anyway and I’m sure she’s sick of even thinking about them.

I do agree with both of your points. I'm sick to death of all the legal issues around 1989/SN, so yeah as you say, I can imagine it must just be a nightmare for her to deal with. I just wish she could communicate this with fans, like she did about losing her masters, because it's just confusing, especially when she dropped This Love TV, I thought we'd be getting 1989 this year for sure.

I am excited for this new album though. I hope it's worth the wait.

I'm a bit concerned she's treating this like a mixtape or something? It doesn't seem to buy up for pre order on iTunes & it's not on Amazon?

I want her to go all out like she did with Folklore & Red TV.

i luvvvvv the album cover i don’t get why some are fuming 

luv the font too 

are we getting her best album? maybe

smoore95GAGA
12 minutes ago, americanlife said:

Honestly I feel really underwhelmed by this announcement. I'm always so excited for any new Taylor releases, and I am excited, but it feels different this time. Releasing a new album in the middle of this weird Taylor's Version rollout doesn't make sense to me.

I can sort of understand that, however I also think that was the point. I bet no one was expecting a new album from her until after the re-recordings, so it was a perfect time for her to surprise us. Me personally though, I still think she should’ve just released all her re-recordings at once. All this waiting for albums that we’ve already heard plus a few new songs just feels unnecessary to me.

Plus, the re-recordings are clearly gonna be going on until 2024/2025, so imagine if we had to wait until then to get a new album from her. Seeing as she didn’t release them all at once, this was the next best option for the fans that want new music and not just vault tracks.

14 minutes ago, On The Bound said:

i luvvvvv the album cover i don’t get why some are fuming 

luv the font too 

are we getting her best album? maybe

the tracklist being (a) there at all, and (b) on the side vs. the bottom is a huge no. So much wasted white space, too, and the layout of it all is . . a choice!

That said, it doesn't matter and as long as I can remove the tracklist (should be easy), I quite like the cover!

44 minutes ago, Boysdontcry said:

I'm a bit concerned she's treating this like a mixtape or something? It doesn't seem to buy up for pre order on iTunes & it's not on Amazon?

I want her to go all out like she did with Folklore & Red TV.

I’m pretty sure the album cover is a placeholder. On her website she can change the image at will, but for iTunes and the rest I don’t think she can publish the preorder without revealing the actual cover (which may or may not end up having the track list in place of the “track one, track two,” etc. placeholders)

PLEASE BE A ROCK ALBUM :jonny: 

or a more alternative folklore/evermore

really not here for her going back to pop. Lover and Rep are her worst albums 

mlaredoperez
5 hours ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

I’m expecting the sound to be a mix of her alternative albums and her pop albums. Maybe some lo fi bedroom pop. Also lots of bangers as this album was probably made with touring in mind. I’m guessing much of the album will be uptempo. I think Max is back. 

Please be true

44 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

I’m pretty sure the album cover is a placeholder. On her website she can change the image at will, but for iTunes and the rest I don’t think she can publish the preorder without revealing the actual cover (which may or may not end up having the track list in place of the “track one, track two,” etc. placeholders)

they can, gaga did it with chromatica

I'm so glad she's releasing a new album to break up the re-recordings. It makes more sense to scatter the re-recordings over a longer period of time since we mostly know what we're getting with those and they're surrounded by legal issues

And also, she's SO smart for the conceptual shift she's made since Folklore. She can't be called the girl who just writes breakup songs anymore. She's putting that energy and more into concepts now. We all know Folklore was more personal than the fable narrative she put out at first. This is the same - her traditional style but in the narrative of 13 different difficult nights/times in her career. I'm expecting it'll mostly be clear-cut writing about difficult times that we can pinpoint. VMAs night. The Kanye phone call. Her mom getting cancer. Maybe some of the bigger/more high profile breakups. Her sexual assault case. And so on

this ***** is SO SMART

I need her to release the lead single this week. pls tay