RENAISSANCE Review Thread | MC: 91 | 9.0 from P4K

abeille

It deserves around an 80 but I don’t see it going far below 90.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• abeille

• Ice Cream Skies

• glamrock<3

18 hours ago, Ice Cream Skies said:

The Guardian's reviewer was already salty about America Has a Problem not being political, so... I think a lot of these annoying reviewers will have an issue with that. I see it between 83-86.

That's so funny to me because these losers kept complaining about her being too political, and when she's not... They complain too :deadbanana2:

I see 105+ :gaycat:

Updated to 88 with 8 reviews.

unknown.png

rolling stone gave it a 4.5? they gave special by lizzo the same score and that was literally worse than this album

6 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

rolling stone gave it a 4.5? they gave special by lizzo the same score and that was literally worse than this album

!!!

:biblionny:

7 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

NME giving this 80 when they give every other album a 100, to the point that many were asking to remove them from metacritic (i think billboard was removed for the same reason) Thankfully they are weighted very low 

3 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

NME giving this 80 when they give every other album a 100, to the point that many were asking to remove them from metacritic (i think billboard was removed for the same reason) Thankfully they are weighted very low 

They also gave folklore an 80, always failing to give the 100 to actually deserving albums. :rip:

Dont see this below 85 as final score. Its too good.

The P4K review is probably coming on Monday.

3 minutes ago, Luke Hayes said:

They also gave folklore an 80, always failing to give the 100 to actually deserving albums. :rip:

Dont see this below 85 as final score. Its too good.

Tbf Taylor and Bey are held to higher standards than most pop girls. Renaissance is being compared to Lemonade as a point of reference and Taylor had her other 2 AOTYs to be compared to. 

They're all waiting for the review from p4k and will revise their score based on it

I'm very happy to see she's at least receiving 8+ scores, as I understand why critics may not rate it as highly as Lemonade (the experimental sound may not be everyone's cup of tea). But, it deserves no less than an 80+ score as it's still one of the best albums of this year. I do predict her final score will hoover around 84 or 85.

Edited by glamrock<3

3 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

They're all waiting for the review from p4k and will revise their score based on it

I wouldn't be surprised.. heck, I'm awaiting their score. :lakitu:

17 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Tbf Taylor and Bey are held to higher standards than most pop girls. Renaissance is being compared to Lemonade as a point of reference and Taylor had her other 2 AOTYs to be compared to. 

What if when the artist have bad albums as the standard then? 

8 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

It makes you wonder about these "scores"... this album is much better than Special. 

6 minutes ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

What if when the artist have bad albums as the standard then? 

Leniency and a pat on the back for trying. :gaycat3:

39 minutes ago, sillycilla said:

What’s taking so long with the reviews?!! :deadbanana2:

It's weekend, only The Observer and SputnikMusic at some points publish their reviews on weekend

I'm more interested with year-end lists so we will see whether it can sustain the critical success like Lemonade, Folklore and NFR! or it flops like 30 and TUN :celestial5:

I'm predicting a strong 80-85 when it's all said and done. This won't end up being a 90+ like Lemonade but that's okay, still acclaimed.

Kinda curious about Pitchfork's score. I'm fearing they will give it a 7.5-8.0 and no BNM but we'll see!

I'm not a stan but I'm here for her this era. The album is long but I had no problem sitting through it.

Edited by Avariko

6 minutes ago, Avariko said:

I'm predicting a strong 80-85 when it's all said and done. This won't end up being a 90+ like Lemonade but that's okay, still acclaimed.

Kinda curious about Pitchfork's score. I'm fearing they will give it a 7.5-8.0 and no BNM but we'll see!

I'm not a stan but I'm here for her this era. The album is long but I had no problem sitting through it.

They already gave Virgos Groove BNM

Similarly, Kate Solomon of idubbed the album as a "dazzling tribute to underground and underappreciated black culture" and as a dancefloor record aimed to heal the "the pain and anguish" of the COVID-19 pandemic.[48]

The way music criticism has basically boiled down to pre-prescribed narratives that are already determined by the time the publication writers have gotten the outline of what an album is trying to accomplish combined with a sociopolitical angle of how to contextualize the album to bolster its importance and worthiness. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.