Heatwave in Europe: Fires in London, UK breaks temp record by 1.5 degrees

Chemist

Americans getting surprised by the # of deaths is funny cause it seems that only last year more than 1000 people died in the US due to a heat wave.

This year will likely be worse in Europe though, but still :michael:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chemist

• Into The Void

• khalyan

• Robert

9 hours ago, A Bomb said:

:bibliahh:the HEAT getting to the Europeans. Lashing out at indoor air conditioning like some hooligans. Some of us live in deserts. Have a little decorum please!

The infamous sub-saharan african anticyclone is dry in its original form. When it crosses the Mediteranean Sea,  it charges with water vapor becoming insanely humid, rising the so called "dew point" and therefore the apparent temperature of several degrees.

Among other things, an high RH index prevents skin transpiration, night-time thermal excursion and makes fan ventilation completely useless.

It's not even remotely comparable to a dry heat wave.

Yeah its time to invest, it’s only going to get worse 

I think I'm ready to start seeing some eco terrorism @Gen Z 

Untethered corporate capitalism is literally ******* up everybody home planet because of their precious profits, I'm getting more livid by the day

We are experiencing the direct result of global warming yet nobody seems to be talking about it :chick3:

These temperatures would not have been possible 10 years ago

13 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

As someone who lives in a desertic place, just buy a damn AC! life changer yas

And consume more fosil generated energy and makes things worse at long term :D 

I assume most of the people boasting about air conditioning don't pay the electricity bill? :deadbanana2:

20 hours ago, Bears01 said:

The absolute ignorance in this comment is staggering :rip: stick to trolling Beyonce instead of trying to sound like you know what you’re talking about when it comes to real life issues, for the sake of all of us please 

Google the climates of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, large swaths of California, etc. and try lecturing them about using AC, please, I dare you 

Air conditioning is staggeringly bad for the environment. Go ahead and use it but to pretend otherwise is just disingenuous. 

36 minutes ago, Lost In Paradise said:

:confused:

A heatwave with high temperatures in 2003 does not change the fact that we are experiencing record breaking temperatures in multiple countries now, as a result of global warming which has made heat waves like this a common occurrence in the past few years, practically annually now. Is the phrase “record breaking” not obvious enough? :rip:

On 7/17/2022 at 4:41 AM, KnightOfAllRealms said:

This is like a normal day in our tropics

Even tropics are hotter this summer tho :rip:

5 hours ago, Clauss said:

And consume more fosil generated energy and makes things worse at long term :D 

And what should people do? It doesn't matter 'things being worse at long term' when they are already dying for no using an AC :gaycat6:

On 7/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, Chemist said:

:deadbanana:

Not the UK being hotter than Mexico's desert. We truly lost as humanity I guess :toofunny3:

On 7/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, Chemist said:

Heat pumps >>>> A/C. You can warm up or cool down your house with the same device and it uses electricity instead of gas

Some countries in Europe are doing the transition already but more invesment needs to be done

Thank you for this. So I've got another option instead of going aircon. In fact it's probably better to install a heat pump instead.

I live in tropical country and yes it feel much hotter than usual. I have a hard time to sleep at night cause I dont have AC installed in my room. Usually its around 22°C-24°C which is my sweet spot, but for the past few days it went over 28°C-31°C at NIGHT :rip:

6 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

Even tropics are hotter this summer tho :rip:

True but the surprising thing is my place is getting colder this summer :rip: around 20-23 °C on avg every day because of constant rain and living in the foothills. Guess the world is going haywire currently with these temperature fluctuations

I don't think people understand how insane 42 degrees is for the UK :rip: Absolutely nothing is built to withstand those temperatures, everything is built to conserve heat instead for the winter. All ACs are completely sold out everywhere so I don't want to hear anyone say "just go and buy an AC". Hotels are also booked out. Someone I know tried to sleep at their office because the temperature in his flat was like 35 degrees at night.

4 hours ago, Codex said:

Average daily high in Houston during the summer is 34C and in Dallas it’s 37C. It’s high, but nowhere near Dubai level which actually gets 41C average. Florida is apparently 32C average, and places like New York and Los Angeles don’t even crack 30C average, similarly to most places in central Europe.

Outside of Las Vegas and a few other desert locations, maybe Florida, y’all would be mostly fine without AC too.

:rip:

I live in Dallas and it hit 109 yesterday :deadbanana4:

It'll hit 108 today 

And no cracking a window won't do anything it'll just make it worse

Screenshot-20220719-050536-Samsung-Inter

Edited by Insanity

4 hours ago, Protocol said:

I don't think people understand how insane 42 degrees is for the UK :rip: Absolutely nothing is built to withstand those temperatures, everything is built to conserve heat instead for the winter. All ACs are completely sold out everywhere so I don't want to hear anyone say "just go and buy an AC". Hotels are also booked out. Someone I know tried to sleep at their office because the temperature in his flat was like 35 degrees at night.

Yeah that is way hot anywhere. 35 inside at night? Yikes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.