Heatwave in Europe: Fires in London, UK breaks temp record by 1.5 degrees

Chemist

1 hour ago, Distantconstellation said:

I live in a tropical humid place and its actually worse 105F because humidity makes it feel even hotter than that so another 10 degress, so 115F. You instantly start sweating. I much prefer dry desert heat because it feels like a hot oven but i dont really sweat as much if at all. 

I sweat the instant I walk outside I hate it here :deadbanana4:

OT: I didnt mean to come off insensitive and its terrible that people are dying of heat.  Its a tragedy. 

Edited by Insanity
Spelling

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chemist

• Into The Void

• khalyan

• Robert

I'm working night shifts in the hospital the next three nights and its going to be 39 degrees tomorrow and Tuesday night. :deadbanana4: 

I normally struggle with 25 degrees+ here in the UK :deadbanana2:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Your state litterally falls apart when it goes below freezing so I would take several seats at read the room if I were you. 

I distinctly remember European members being very insensitive to the issues Texas faced a few years ago when our power grid shut down.  

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, magazine said:

The weird americans celebrating their ACs :bibliahh:

keep those disgusting things away from my house :rip:

What’s disgusting about air conditioning? :rip: 

2 hours ago, MrLovett said:

I'm genuinely dreading the next couple of days here in London. It's pretty unbearable at the moment. The government has suggested we don't even travel, as the tube lines etc. are going to struggle to function in the heat. It's insane.

I nearly passed out on the Victoria Line today it was insane

Counting myself very lucky that I'm able to stay at home the next few days, I know not everybody has that option

29 minutes ago, khalyan said:

I distinctly remember European members being very insensitive to the issues Texas faced a few years ago when our power grid shut down.  

Europeans being very insensitive?  That is quite on brand for them.  

But honestly, Texas’s disaster was caused by their ideology of “being independent” and “low regulation”.  They made it way too easy to mock them.  We were doing it too in the US.  

32 minutes ago, khalyan said:

What’s disgusting about air conditioning? :rip: 

first of all, it's ugly

second of all, y'all are relying on a piece of metal to breathe

third of all, it's horrible for the environment

:deadbanana4:

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Europeans being very insensitive?  That is quite on brand for them.  

But honestly, Texas’s disaster was caused by their ideology of “being independent” and “low regulation”.  They made it way too easy to mock them.  We were doing it too in the US.  

You’re correct, but it’s not like regular Texans have any control over the grid.  There were members laughing at the grid shutting down even though it resulted in ~300 people dying from no fault of their own.  

6 minutes ago, magazine said:

first of all, it's ugly

Don’t try and gaslight anyone here into thinking ACs are bad for the environment when it’s such a minuscule amount of environmental concern compared to multi-billion dollar companies and industries.  

3 hours ago, BadMonster said:

do NOT leave your windows open, keep everything SHUT, I-

Most European countries don’t have air conditioning. It would be even hotter with the windows closed

Yeah Europe is kind of gehtto when it comes to AC and stuff. I remember being shocked at the amount of places that didn't have AC when I was in Italy in June 2021 but i'm a Florida girl so I can take some heat but wow did it make be appreciate AC

I hope everyone on this website is okay heat is no joke

11 minutes ago, khalyan said:

You’re correct, but it’s not like regular Texans have any control over the grid.  There were members laughing at the grid shutting down even though it resulted in ~300 people dying from no fault of their own.  

Don’t try and gaslight anyone here into thinking ACs are bad for the environment when it’s such a minuscule amount of environmental concern compared to multi-billion dollar companies and industries.  

https://time.com/6077220/air-conditioning-bad-for-planet-how-to-fix/

Is this going to surpass 2003 European heatwave? :biblionny:

1 hour ago, magazine said:

first of all, it's ugly

Y'all will complain about AC's but then defend a celebrity taking one private jet flight that would undo in 60 minutes any environmental gains from hundreds of people going without AC for a year. :skull: Completely unserious people. 

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, Communion said:

Y'all will complain about AC's but then defend a celebrity taking one private jet flight that would undo in 60 minutes any environmental gains from hundreds of people going without AC for a year. :skull: Completely unserious people. 

Exactly :skull: 

Plus, how many more resources are going to be used in the recovery of this heat wave versus just having more ACs running instead?  

Heat pumps >>>> A/C. You can warm up or cool down your house with the same device and it uses electricity instead of gas

Some countries in Europe are doing the transition already but more invesment needs to be done

4 hours ago, Cloröx said:

Is this going to surpass 2003 European heatwave? :biblionny:

Omg :rip:

9 hours ago, Gorgeous said:

I don't want to point fingers without knowing any of the intricacies but it seems to me that the manager at the town hall should be held accountable, they should offer street cleaners the option to reschedule their shifts and do them from 6am to 11am and then past 8pm or something like that... 

Of course.

:bibliahh:the HEAT getting to the Europeans. Lashing out at indoor air conditioning like some hooligans. Some of us live in deserts. Have a little decorum please!

7 hours ago, magazine said:

first of all, it's ugly

The absolute ignorance in this comment is staggering :rip: stick to trolling Beyonce instead of trying to sound like you know what you’re talking about when it comes to real life issues, for the sake of all of us please 

Google the climates of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, large swaths of California, etc. and try lecturing them about using AC, please, I dare you 

And it will continue to rise so people can eat their burgers and steak. The nature of farming & meat production must change. 

13 hours ago, AM98GJ said:

The idea of 41C in London is insane, thank god for WFH 

I wonder if this is what it will actually feel like in the streets because London is an extremely vast urban jungle and built to retain heat,  it's going to be insane, it literally never ever gets that hot, nothing is built with those temperatures in mind and few people have AC aside from modern office buildings...

9 hours ago, A Bomb said:

:bibliahh:the HEAT getting to the Europeans. Lashing out at indoor air conditioning like some hooligans. Some of us live in deserts. Have a little decorum please!

It's been said a lot in this thread but there is a huge difference between dry heat like the deserts and wet heat due to moisture in the air like in Northern Europe. During dry heat you can easily escape the heat by simply going under a shade but during wet heat you cannot escape anywhere since the moisture in the air will distribute the heat to every single corner or shade. Not to mention that nights are also hot during wet heat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.