Why Does Taylor Overtaking Mariah Feel Like a Non-Event?

Brikenbur

On 7/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, Tusk said:

Mariah is only relevant from 11/1-12/31 each year for one song.  

Out of her 700 million Xmas streams, only 280 million come from that 1 song. (Spotify).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• Brikenbur

• brazil

• Brando

On 7/6/2022 at 4:57 PM, Zoe_ said:

Billboard's All-Time lists are scams to me. There were songs that were not allowed to chart because of "rules" before 1998. The charts have been manipulated since the beginning. 

+ catalogue rule. An album was ineligible to return to the BB200 after it had dropped off for a certain amount of time. Singles runs were also restricted to 20 weeks in the top 50, when they dropped below that at 20 weeks or more, they were cancelled by BB. And albums tracks were ineligible altogether.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, Trent W said:

Storytellers can be even more important than singers

We been knew, and mariah is both! ^^

Because everyone knew it was going to happen. Taylor's career is just so insane.

#2 is good for Mariah though 

Why are people so pressed about this? lmao i've seen countless threads and posts D:

Both are artists with big legacies that will be remembered. It's just what it is, a GOAT chart that has to account for different eras and different type of music consumption, you just take it for what it is. It doesn't invalidate Mariah's achievement, I don't get why you have to invalidate Taylor's.

Taylor has been stomping for literal decades and the "streaming!111!!" argument, which is honestly dumb all together because music consumption has changed, nothing you can do, is even dumber in this situation, because self-titled - release in 2006 - has been (i think) the longest charting album of the 2000s and streaming didn't exist :dies: Fearless was major without streaming likewise. And then she proved herself again with streaming. Just give it up.

Every music era is different but it doesn't make one more valid than the other, that's dummm asf. For example, streaming era is a lot more competitive than the 90s were as far as everyone being able to emerge on the charts.

I won't even talk about the "loyal fanbase!111!!!11" excuse cause that's just the dumbest **** i've ever heard sorry

- Most people in the real world don’t know or care who holds these records

- This isn’t an official update

- Comparisons between eras/generations are usually stupid 

Both will be remembered as legends, but the specifics won’t be. 

Edited by Rotunda

these chart things is only being relevant to the certain group of people, like music fans, people who care about entertainment industry... like Rolling Stone made their all time greatest album lists a year ago and literally everyone stopped talking about it after days...

and overall, taylor is being successful through fearless, 1989 and right now her post-Lover era, GP will see her as the lead artist of her generation, its just about time if she can still being successful and pass some other great artists on number wise, its just not that serious

No one actually cares about the charts IRL

im sure taylor will get her official announcement for next album rollout or grammy. we all know her timing when to approach the promo :gaycat:

Edited by Polgg48

On 7/6/2022 at 10:34 AM, Brikenbur said:

Nowadays, one song from an album can go viral and based off of the streams of one song can actually make the entire album “sell” 500,000 or 1,000,000 copies. For example, artists can now add songs to their albums via DSP’s to make add sales counts, artists can release several versions of a single and it counts towards sales of one single, etc.

Please this has always been the case, back then people would buy an entire album to listen to one song because it was the easiest way to access it. But truth is that people, more often than not, were only interested in the single/s and wanted nothing to do with the rest of the album. Not much different than the current scenario.

And regarding the several versions of a single counting towards one, this has also been the case all along. In fact it was even more fraudulent back then, with cases such as Jennifer Lopez literally erasing bomb singles from her chart history with remixes that were literally a whole different song with the same title

Quick lil streams will never compare to what made people go out and BUY physical copies of music. :sorry:

2 hours ago, Tropical said:

Quick lil streams will never compare to what made people go out and BUY physical copies of music. :sorry:

and FREE streams at that, too!  Millions of people downloading a free app and listening to free music, and somehow that counts as albums "sold".  I know paid streams are different blah blah blah, but free streams?

Because these are fake achievements. In reality taylor swift has yet to surpass Jewel, never mind Mariah.

Edited by Sazare

On 7/7/2022 at 2:33 AM, MingYouToo said:

Its so funny how stans claim Mariah's rise was organic and casually forget how much money was spent on her to brand her as Whitney's competito

Mariah's label based their marketing off how Whitney was marketed. Taylor literally pretended she was a country girl and used a fake accent to market herself:rip:

On 7/6/2022 at 6:49 AM, Love Again said:

I think it's because people hold Mariah, Madonna etc to a different standard (which in a lot of ways I think is justified) as these untouchable legends whose records can never be broken, forgetting that records are meant to be broken. With how streaming has made music consumption much easier, it was bound to happen at one point

This....

On 7/11/2022 at 8:11 PM, alestevens said:

Please this has always been the case, back then people would buy an entire album to listen to one song because it was the easiest way to access it. But truth is that people, more often than not, were only interested in the single/s and wanted nothing to do with the rest of the album. Not much different than the current scenario.

you could literally buy cd singles and most people weren't buying $20 - $30 dollar CDs for one song, that's ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, thetea said:

you could literally buy cd singles and most people weren't buying $20 - $30 dollar CDs for one song, that's ridiculous. 

I bought CD singles (and cassette singles :gaygacat2:)  But back in the 80's yea I did buy cassettes for just one song.  Mostly thru the BMG music club, but still.  The 90's were more single-focused when CD's came out.  But either way, I was SPENDING MONEY.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:51 PM, frenchyisback said:

Because Taylor feels more like a huge niche artist with a loyal public than GP darling.  

She doesn't really have a lot of general public smash outside of Red & 1989 eras.

Taylor can be proud of her achievements tho and I gotta respect her discipline.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, Brikenbur said:

Nope. This actually is no where near the truth. I feel like Taylor just has a huge/loyal base, but, people outside of that could care less or don’t even know who she [Taylor] is. :squirrel:

ATRL being ATRL :ahh: 

1 hour ago, spree said:

I bought CD singles (and cassette singles :gaygacat2:)  But back in the 80's yea I did buy cassettes for just one song.  Mostly thru the BMG music club, but still.  The 90's were more single-focused when CD's came out.  But either way, I was SPENDING MONEY.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:44 PM, spree said:

because Mariah is a legend and Taylor is not.  And "units" don't mean anything.  They were invented by Billboard to cover the collapsing sales market.  Otherwise their company would be useless.

Not that 50yo member still mad at streaming taking over and being the new way to consume music :dies: 

16 hours ago, thetea said:

The average price for a CD ranged anywhere from $14-$20 in the 80s and 90s. Unless it was a special edition or double album, they weren’t nearing $30. :skull: A CD definitely was something the average person could afford. CD singles usually never sold as well as full albums. A lot of people did buy CDs just for one song, that was quite literally a thing back then. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.