Why Does Taylor Overtaking Mariah Feel Like a Non-Event?

Brikenbur

Because Mariah hasn’t been relevant since 2008.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• Brikenbur

• brazil

• Brando

Doesn't seem like a non event since it has y'all fuming as usual. Especially the monsters who seem pressed at every pop girl lately. :rip:

18 minutes ago, brazil said:

Mariah is def a better songwriter than Taylor, what you on about. Taylor could nevah debut with self written Vision of Love

Vision of Love is not self-written :rip:

Perhaps because it’s not official yet - and perhaps because you don’t think it’s significant. Certainly if you’re unwilling to acknowledge that she’s deserving of it, it’s not going to feel like a big deal to you.

Mariah had several singles blocked by her label that wouldve easily been top 20s (Breakdown, for example, probably Crybaby), et.

Charting was a different ballgame. Non-streaming eras --- couldnt even buy singles online lol

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

Vision of Love is not self-written :rip:

It was self written by the adorable hands of Mimi Carey with lil help from Ben Marguilles :heart:

because no one cares about mariah carey

Mariah is only relevant from 11/1-12/31 each year for one song.  

so tired of old geezers always reminiscing about “pure sales!!!1!” while ignoring that there were plenty of shady label tactics, discounts, etc to boost those sales the same way there’s playlisting,etc for streaming now 

it’s just nostalgia, i promise 

31 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

Mariah's rise to fame was organic, TS's was artificial.

:rip:

2 minutes ago, brazil said:

It was self written by the adorable hands of Mimi Carey with lil help from Ben Marguilles :heart:

And therefore is not self-written, thank you for confirming :heart:

Because it isn't?

Those charts are really flawed and don't show the full picture

no discrediting both ladies, since they are obviously 2 of the most successful acts as a whole

but those charts are hella stupid, since Lots of time and market changes have passed thru it..especially now when streaming makes it much easier to chart/longer

all truth tea in the OP btw

Mariah's contributions to music are more important than Taylor's and that's what matters :heart:

17 minutes ago, Headlock said:

The way y'all keep saying this, at some point, when your hypothesis gets proven wrong over and over, you're supposed to give it up

9CE688FB-78C4-4ED6-9AA9-7D55B16F9612.thu

PLEASE show me some factual findings that support your misguided comment. PLEASE explain why Taylor has decided [in the past] to sell her singles for $0.39? PLEASE explain why she released an exclusive deluxe edition of folklore with 1 extra song on her website, to turn around and release this “exclusive” release to digital the following week? PLEASE explain to me why reputation and most of its singles didn’t connect with the GP in 2017/18? 

Also, all this stuff about not being able to compare different music eras one-to-one - doesn’t Billboard already account for the differences in consumption and chart patterns across the years in their GOAT formulas? Like, isn’t that a non-issue assuming their weighting works fine?

39 minutes ago, Love Again said:

I think it's because people hold Mariah, Madonna etc to a different standard (which in a lot of ways I think is justified) as these untouchable legends whose records can never be broken, forgetting that records are meant to be broken. With how streaming has made music consumption much easier, it was bound to happen at one point

The difference between Mariah and Taylor is Mariah is a nostalgia act. Nostalgia is so powerful it even makes people think Miley has a bigger musical career than Ariana (like that previous big thread)

Taylor is still in and is still THE dominant overall force, both male and female, in the global music industry. Not even Mariah or Madonna was at that level 16 years into their careers.

2 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

so tired of old geezers always reminiscing about “pure sales!!!1!” while ignoring that there were plenty of shady label tactics, discounts, etc to boost those sales the same way there’s playlisting,etc for streaming now 

it’s just nostalgia, i promise 

I agree, I think a lot of tactics were used then and are used now. 

But that doesn't take away from the main difference between the pure sales era and streaming era, as I've said. Being a top seller for several months now doesn't mean you're being heard by several different people, as the same people could be listening/streaming your album continously and that would count for your sales throughout several months.

Meanwhile, even if some rare obsessed fans would buy a cd more than once, 98% of cd sales probably came from different people buying an album.

So although both Taylor and Mariah have reasons to be proud, their accomplishments feel very different. 

3 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

PLEASE show me some factual findings that support your misguided comment. PLEASE explain why Taylor has decided [in the past] to sell her singles for $0.39? PLEASE explain why she released an exclusive deluxe edition of folklore with 1 extra song on her website, to turn around and release this “exclusive” release to digital the following week? PLEASE explain to me why reputation and most of its singles didn’t connect with the GP in 2017/18? 

To make people like you fume

Factual findings, like, say, streaming numbers, sales, charts, the topic of this thread? You've already shown you won't accept those, so it almost seems like you're not actually looking for facts

Cause Billboard doesn't talk about that yet. Not official announcement or something. 

Only is based on points by chart accounts.

But the official chart is not updated since 2019 if I'm not wrong 

17 minutes ago, Body Talk said:

Mariah is a songwriter and producer and has been since day one. Educate yourself. 

Is not about if Mariah is a songwriter or not, os about how people see Taylor

41 minutes ago, Toxicity. said:

it's an unofficial update lmao

either way we know you'll still be fuming when it's made official

Anyway, no one cares about Billboard or Mariah Carey in real life. So it's understandable. Taylor had so many other accomplishments that every one were talking about, like her 3rd AOTY win. 

45 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

Nope. This actually is no where near the truth. I feel like Taylor just has a huge/loyal base, but, people outside of that could care less or don’t even know who she [Taylor] is. :squirrel:

If you are happy in your desilusion go ahead and don’t let that the reality let down you

10 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Because it isn't?

Those charts are really flawed and don't show the full picture

no discrediting both ladies, since they are obviously 2 of the most successful acts as a whole

but those charts are hella stupid, since Lots of time and market changes have passed thru it..especially now when streaming makes it much easier to chart/longer

all truth tea in the OP btw

lmao 

12 minutes ago, Headlock said:

:rip:

Its so funny how stans claim Mariah's rise was organic and casually forget how much money was spent on her to brand her as Whitney's competitor at Arista and Madonna's at Sire and the amount they spent on her radio play is astonishing :deadbanana2: 

Like Mariah deserves it all but lets not pretend like she was a Lil Nas X Old Town Road case when she was the result of a very well oiled label machine + natural talent.

Edited by MingYouToo

4 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

The difference between Mariah and Taylor is Mariah is a nostalgia act. Nostalgia is so powerful it even makes people think Miley has a bigger musical career than Ariana (like that previous big thread)

Taylor is still in and is still THE dominant overall force, both male and female, in the global music industry. Not even Mariah or Madonna was at that level 16 years into their careers.

Might be. Lots of older generations always go on about how their music era + artists was better. It happens here too.

As for your second point, I don't know if I would call Taylor THE dominant force overall, definitely for women but she has competition from Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran who do great in touring, radio, streaming etc

6 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

lmao 

Its so funny how stans claim Mariah's rise was organic and casually forget how much money was spent on her to brand her as Whitney's competitor at Arista and Madonna's at Sire and the amount they spent on her radio play is astonishing :deadbanana2: 

Like Mariah deserves it all but lets not pretend like she was a Lil Nas X Old Town Road case when she was the result of a very well oiled label machine + natural talent.

U laughing at my claims but then go and claim something really similar about this whole music industry machine :eli:

and I agree on both stuff

or is it something else

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.