How should Netflix distribute Stranger Things 5?

Godly

After testing out a split release this year with the two Volumes, how should Netflix distribute the final season of its biggest show ever to maximize its success?

I definitely think at least the series finale should be released by itself after the rest of the season and marketed as one of the biggest TV events of all time, I also wouldn't be surprised if they planned to release it in cinemas which would be a serve :jonny:

i think they should release it in three parts; volume 1, volume 2, and then give the series finale a limited theatrical release before putting it on streaming. i just know literally every single screening would be sold out. it would be an EVENT :clap3:

2 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

i think they should release it in three parts; volume 1, volume 2, and then give the series finale a limited theatrical release before putting it on streaming. i just know literally every single screening would be sold out. it would be an EVENT :clap3:

This would be genius

They should release it on hard drives that come with a McDonald’s Happy Meal. 

weekly, like Euphoria

i want 9 episodes the 8 available on streaming next halloween and the finale in theaters on christmas (right before the 89 to 90 switch, which would be iconic)

otherwise if they can't do the cinema thing, all episodes together the christmas of 2023.

10 episodes, one per day. And save the last 2 episodes for a week after episode 8

20 minutes ago, BadMonster said:

A new episode daily

6 minutes ago, Flomik said:

weekly, like Euphoria

They confirmed it won’t happen. It’ll be video volumes again I assume. 

1 minute ago, fridayteenage said:

one episode per month :gaycatina1:

OMG that would be so cruel:coffee:

But lowkey funny

Final episode should be theatrical release 

The season should take place during the holiday season of 1989 and be released during the holiday season of 2023: 

- it would tie with the fall/winter aesthetics of the first two seasons 

- it would be the time jump that the Duffer brother have already confirmed 

- it would be the last year of high school for the kids 

- holiday season 2023 has both Christmas and New Years falling on 3-day weekends, just like with season 4 having dropped during Memorial Day weekend and 4th of July

- all ST seasons are centred around a specific holiday

- holiday season 1989 was the last month of the 80s and it would leave Stranger Things in the 80s just like the duffers intended 

- the entire season could drop on the Friday before Christmas Day and the final episode on New Years, with a world wide theatrical release. 

18 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

15 minutes ago, hector.adriel said:

This would be genius

this goes against Netflix's CEO beliefs, if Netflix were to do a theatrical release it would be at the same time of the streaming release, never before. Also 3 volumes would feel like a weekly release, Netflix officials have always stated that they believe in binge watching and that thats what sets them apart from their competitors. 

24 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

That would be epic and I’m betting that’s the exact format they’ll go for.

3 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

this goes against Netflix's CEO beliefs, if Netflix were to do a theatrical release it would be at the same time of the streaming release, never before. Also 3 volumes would feel like a weekly release, Netflix officials have always stated that they believe in binge watching and that thats what sets them apart from their competitors. 

Netflix has said they’re planning a spin off for ST. If that’s the case, a theatrical release and money from the tickets could generate funding for the spin off.

10 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

OMG that would be so cruel:coffee:

But lowkey funny

it wouldn't be the first big hit to do this. after season 6, i love lucy expanded to superlong episodes (a la stranger things) and would release like:

november ep, december ep, january ep, february ep, april ep. it would keep people talking for a long time.

but yeah, like above said, netflix is really into the binging model so it'll probably be 1-2 parts.

...And Netflix hates releasing in theatres. Even those Oscarbait movies they put in to qualify for US awards, they release as limited as possible and don't report the numbers.

Edited by fridayteenage

final episode should be in theaters

is the 5th season gonna be the last tho?

7 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

I think their beliefs are changing. We are already seeing them doing this volumes thing with multiple shows, and if they’re looking at competitors like Disney+ (who release episodes on a weekly basis) then theyre seeing the advantages of that approach. 

If your subscribers have to wait a week in between new episodes, they are locked in for another month if the series is still ongoing and crosses over the subscription renewal time at the end of each month. It’s anti consumer, but better for their business to stop releasing shows all at once. 

If they can lock you in for more months (for users who subscribe specifically to binge a show for one month and then cancel), then they can also reduce the current subscription cost for everyone and better compete 

Edited by youreyesgocold

Weekly like Euphoria would be great, the build up :jonny6: and the theatrical finale as well, such a collapse. I love the show but binge watching it is too much for me, it gets overwhelming after one or two episodes, the latest ones were over a hour and a half, that's basically a movie. 

Maybe they have enough story for another full season, but at this point, with how long it takes to film series, I would rather just a 2 part film like Vol 2. Otherwise we're waiting until 2024 at the earliest. 

An episode a day would be a collapse, we would never hear the end of it on social media :deadbanana2:

Then the series finale in theaters ala High School Musical 3 :surfsup:

1 hour ago, sourtwink said:

Exactly this :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.