Netflix seek zeitgeist w/ less politics, TikTok Idol, female Jack Ryan, less sad coms

Espresso

GRPZLW7H3VPEZF6NPNRC3CTZ2E.jpg

Netflix's stock price might be at bargain-basement levels and its employees on edge as they await possible layoffs, but the streaming giant is armed with a content budget of $18 billion for the year and continues to hunt for new shows. It's looking for grabby titles not only to attract fresh audiences but also to keep current subscribers feeling sated — a newly urgent goal after the service lost subscribers for the first time in a decade. That means Hollywood's top agencies are still slipping scripts to Netflix executives and setting up meetings for their clients in the hopes of selling the streamer its next "Squid Game" or "Emily in Paris."

What exactly is Netflix looking for in 2022? Big, broad stories that can be told on a budget, according to multiple documents from top agencies [...] that outline the programming needs and most-wanted shows at each of the major TV buyers in Hollywood.

When it comes to comedies, "Emily in Paris" is a popular reference inside Netflix's sleek Hollywood headquarters. (The Lily Collins starrer "could not be referenced more" in conversations about what works for the streamer, one agent told Insider.) "Never Have I Ever" is also cited in one of the documents as a global hit and an example of what to swing for because "everyone can connect … in some way." Netflix has told representatives at the agencies that it's open to all manner of stories as long as they have a "hook" and a strong point of view. It is also looking for a high-concept replacement for "Grace and Frankie," the Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin comedy series that recently concluded its seven-season run. 

Like many streamers, Netflix is also moving away from half-hour dramas like "Master of None" that were once billed as comedies (aka "sad coms") and is more focused on broadcast-style sitcoms — it's looking for its "New Girl," according to one of the documents, prioritizing male-driven or genre-specific soaps as well as auteur-driven shows to garner Emmy nominations but on a budget.

In addition, the streamer is reversing course from its prior retreat from glossy young adult series that "speak to the universality of the coming-of-age experience" to make-up for global streamer losses, looking to offers such as the UK's "Sex Education", Spain's "Elite" and Norway's "Ragnarok", where 90% of their audiences come from outside their home countries. It's spin-off of "To All the Boys I've Loved Before (where more than 70% of viewership came from outside the US), "XO, Kitty", fits in this rubric.

But that doesn't mean the streamer isn't willing to spend. The source familiar with company strategy said it is programming across all types of shows and budgets. Spendy projects tend to fall into the "spectacle" category, where Netflix is, per one of the documents, looking for a female "Jack Ryan," a modern-day "Count of Monte Cristo'' story, and a contained underwater thriller series. But in a sign that its content needs are changing as it tightens its belt, Netflix has also asked for "down-the-middle genre shows" that cost less than $10 million per episode and sci-fi series that are not "too complicated," per the agency source. 

A key mandate for Netflix's reality programming also centers on broadcast precedent: to find a competition series that can become the streamer's "American Idol" or "The Voice," according to the documentsand reinvent the format in ways that connect with the TikTok generation. While Netflix has already found dating formats that resonate — "Love is Blind" and "The Ultimatum" among them — it is still seeking social experiment shows à la "Survivor" to complement current series "The Circle." Netflix isn't interested in reality shows that feel too didactic, meaning it is likely to pass on a pitch about a person who travels the world or promises to save it. 

The streamer's documentary group, meanwhile, is looking for light crime and zeitgeisty stories that take on contemporary issues without getting too political. Based on what doc execs have been asking of their agency contacts, expect more series about sports icons, deep dives into the health and wellness space, and music documentaries similar to Ye trilogy "Jeen-yuhs." 

X X

It is great that they are scrambling and trying to fix their mistakes.

I'm happy Emily In Paris is hailed for it's great performance. That show is a masterpiece.

https://i.imgur.com/9QhN0Rr.gif

Netflix needs more high profile actors

So more cheap garbage is coming.. :rip:

• ATRL Moderator
37 minutes ago, Espresso said:

@Ryan BTE

@Bloo

Seeking transfer of thread to Celebria is possible/plausible. Thanks.

Done. 

None of that sounds good or encouraging (to me at least) I was hoping they'd focus on quality, but if EiP is their reference point, then it just sounds like they want to do the same crap, but less "woke" and cheaper. I wish them luck :rip: 

53 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

It is great that they are scrambling and trying to fix their mistakes.

I'm happy Emily In Paris is hailed for it's great performance. That show is a masterpiece.

https://i.imgur.com/9QhN0Rr.gif

That show is laughably bad. Just goes to show how low the bar is for what is entertaining to people

We need the Emily in Paris/You crossover. The people have spoken.

Netflix’s documentaries used to be top notch… now they have the feel of a bored 20 year old college kid in Iowa uploading documentaries on YouTube. It’s sad to see how their content has really taken a nose dive the last few years.

3 hours ago, Espresso said:

It is also looking for a high-concept replacement for "Grace and Frankie,"

Please let this be the Breeana spin-off that’s in talks!!!

Edited by PopKills

a modern-day "Count of Monte Cristo'' story

so Revenge?

:bibliahh: I mean maybe they should’ve thought this through sooner instead of giving boat loads of cash for any and everything 

it sounds like they have a pretty solid plan for the future though

Edited by orange22

i love Emily in paris and Never Have i Ever so if that is the direction im in

sci-fi series that are not "too complicated,

I kinda have to agree ive gotten into some of their sci-fi stuff and it ends up becoming confusing especially when its 1 hr long and so much info is given at once.  Like season 2 of Locke & Key aired and its been 2 yrs and i was so lost

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.