• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aristocrat

• Lovett

• Gerardo

• mxoonlight

If it's Charlie Puth, this becomes a TikTok musical. No thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Some new info from Deadline

Erivo said that she’s now headed to Hawaii for vacation “to chill out” but added she was returning in August to rehearse for Wicked role Elphaba, the witch.

Principal photography for Wicked, directed by Jon M. Chu, starts in November. The film, adapted from the Broadway hit show and a prequel of sorts to Wizard of Oz, will also star Ariana Grande as Glinda. Wicked is based on Gregory Maguire’s novel and was adapted by Winnie Holzman. Music and lyrics are by Stephen Schwartz. All are busy in London prepping for the extensive rehearsal period that will last several weeks.

Chu recently revealed that the Universal Pictures production, which Marc Platt is producing, will be released in two stages: chapter one on December 25, 2024 with chapter two exactly a year later.

It might make sense to split the movies and end part one the way the stage musical does, with Elphaba performing the soaring number “Defying Gravity.”

The “green witch,” as Erivo called Elphaba, is a huge role for her and it feels appropriate that the artist will be filming the mammoth production (shooting’s likely to last a year) in her home town. In a sense she’s returning in triumph because she had to leave the UK to find stellar success in the U.S.

OK I just realized... they could've made this two-part thing work if THEY RELEASE THEM AT THE SAME TIME.

It would be like the original Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  Parts 1 and 2.  The theaters could have showtimes that match up so that people can either watch both parts back to back, or just see one of them if they want.

I know they won't do this, but they should.

56 minutes ago, Lost In Paradise said:

OK I just realized... they could've made this two-part thing work if THEY RELEASE THEM AT THE SAME TIME.

It would be like the original Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  Parts 1 and 2.  The theaters could have showtimes that match up so that people can either watch both parts back to back, or just see one of them if they want.

I know they won't do this, but they should.

I don't think it would ever work. They're going to have to drag out an hour-long second act into a two-hour-long film... I...

2 hours ago, nathanspears said:

I don't think it would ever work. They're going to have to drag out an hour-long second act into a two-hour-long film... I...

:priceless: Schwartz better be penning some BOPS to add into Act 2. We don't want a two-hour long Wicked Act 2 that's mostly dialogue and "action"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How is there no other casting news yet? Doesn’t it start filming in 1.5 months? 

Xmas 2024 seems so far. I wonder if they’re really gonna go through with the two films thing or back track. 

well the adaptation has been endlessly delayed. 

2012: daldry hired, RELEASE for 2019

2018: on hold

2019: RELEASE for 2021

2020: on hold, daldry leaves

2021: Chu hired, filming to begin 2021, then 3/2022, then 6/2022

2022: now to film 11/2022 (?)

On 9/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, fridayteenage said:

well the adaptation has been endlessly delayed. 

2012: daldry hired, RELEASE for 2019

2018: on hold

2019: RELEASE for 2021

2020: on hold, daldry leaves

2021: Chu hired, filming to begin 2021, then 3/2022, then 6/2022

2022: now to film 11/2022 (?)

yes. that's still the plan as far as we know. rehearsals are well underway in london and cameras are supposed to begin rolling in november and last around a year.

Edited by Aristocrat

Omg the way fans MANIFESTED this :jonny5: he keeps being booked and busy

9 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

LOL, him and Cynthia Erivo are in their mid 30s.

And people dragged Ben Platt 24/7 for dear evan hansen

1 hour ago, Starkboy said:

Finally some casting news! I was so worried they would go with some pop boy, but Jonathan is the perfect casting for Fiyero. :wanda: 

3 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Pretty privilege! Cry harder

4 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

This is a fantasy film. It’s not all comparable. Cynthia is literally a green witch. 

Edited by Roman Holiday

i'm confused why this takes so long. Couldn't they shoot for 6 months, edit another six months, then release it Winter 2023? Why a full two years? 

Hearing Cynthia and Jonathan sing ‘As Long As You’re Mine’ is going to be so… :wanda:

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

i'm confused why this takes so long. Couldn't they shoot for 6 months, edit another six months, then release it Winter 2023? Why a full two years? 

Filming takes a year, post production takes another year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.