Why did Eminem and Bey's Walk On Water flop?

Prismee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BawBaw

• GoatGly

• swissman

• BadMonster96

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BadMonster96 said:

the embarrassment

Beyoncé lead single from her massive album Lemonade (according to her fanbase) 

Formation

Gaga random single solo track from ASIB 

Always Remember Us This Way

Its time to wake up and move out of your basement, nobody CARES or LISTEN TO Formation By Giselle 

Omg  :jonnycat:

2 hours ago, BadMonster96 said:

the embarrassment

Formation

Its time to wake up and move out of your basement, nobody CARES or LISTEN TO Formation By Giselle 

OMG

The song is boring and Beyoncé didn’t even appear in the video

the embarrassment

Formation

ruthless :ahh:

op: Eminem couldn't carry the song on his own :cries:

Beyonce is no longer relevant among GP :cm:

the embarrassment

Formation

Oooop :ahh:

Beyonce is chart poison :bird:

Yes Bey Yes Bomb :bird:

beyonce tried to be rihanna so she failed

she should’ve just stick to what she does best which is hopping on already successful songs like mi gente and perfect duet

It's just not a good song. I don't think anyone could have made it a hit.

Its a terrible song that goes nowhere

I never heard this before. I'm surprised it flopped because the artists involved. Must mean the song itself is really bad lol. 

No one could save this song. 

3 hours ago, BadMonster96 said:

the embarrassment

Formation

Omg :skull:

Yikes why are the mistakes always mad about Beyoncé. I know y’all ugly and don’t have a real life but yikes get a new hobby.

This thread descending into a Stan war over a flop song :rip:

I only listened to Beyoncé's part and I didn't care for it and I wasn't gonna sit and listen to Eminem anyway so yeah, it's a pass.

I prefer her pop girl collabs ala. Shakira, Gaga and Meg, something the gays can wink their teeth into. Nobody asked for an Eminem ft. and I'm 100% sure they threw this together last minute.

not the stan war breaking out, never change atrl :dies:

i completely forgot it existed but listening again it's a little try-hard and melodramatic. makes sense why it didn't do anythng...

The song is terrible tbh.

9 hours ago, BadMonster96 said:

the embarrassment

Formation

Formation was:

• not released as an international single
  • was not for sale for the first 77 days after release of the music video/Super Bowl performance in February of 2016
  • was not on streaming but for TIDAL for 3 years
  • was not sent to radio nor had any radio promotion
  • was given any for FREE to anyone who clicked "download"
  • had a music video that was unlisted for its first 9 months, meaning no one could watch it by searching for it on YouTube. Instead you had to have the direct link to access it and remained unlisted even after it won Video of the Year at the VMAs and several other award shows

On top of that, it was not some sappy ballad palatable to the masses and delivered/promoted in a hit musical film. All props to that Gaga song, that's amazing, but Formation was a trap-n-b political anthem promoted with Black Panthers regalia and caused intense scrutiny and controversy from a lot of America. Comparing the two is a bit odd. Also correct me if I'm wrong but that song never was off streaming or not for sale, correct?

So let's not act like its common that a popstar gives her lead single basically ZERO chart eligibility and it sill has massive certifications.

Formation is very much an example that you don't NEED to be a chart hit or even sell a lot overall to be an impactful, well-known piece of popular music. The commentaries, the think pieces, the references, the fact that Red Lobster's sales increased 33% the weekend the video came out, the references to the lyrics in culture...I mean didn't even Hillary Clinton talk about "hot sauce in her bag"? It's still being discussed in college courses, and next week in fact there's another Lemonade seminar planned, put on by The New York Public Library. The song HAS impact and any attempt to deny this because of charts / certifications for a song that was given out for free for a quarter of a year is silly.

Edited by swissman

Anyway, the song flopped because it clearly doesn't sound like a hit. It still had a pretty high debut though, which implies there was some interest there, but it's just not the kind of song that is going to have audiences wanting more.

It's a rap-based song that doesn't even have percussion in it.

Beyoncé doesn't even appear in the video and has never performed it once. Compare this to a similar kind of collab, Eminem's two with Rihanna that were big hits, and you can see/hear the difference. They're clearly catchier, with pop hooks and more of pop-leaning production, was acknowledged (performed by Rihanna herself live and in the videos) and had far bigger promotion which helped it because the songs actually sound like hits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.