The Rings of Power | Amazon | Season 2 begins August 29 | Teaser Out | LotR Prequel

Eóghan

9 hours ago, AxelFox said:

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. 

Galadriel has never, not once, been described as a sword-wielding, armor wearing, physical combat solider in ANY of Tolkien's writings that we know of. 

The only thing that could allude to anything of the sorts would be her being described as very tall and athletic in her formative years in one of his late letters; which most likely is a reference to her imposing stature more than anything. Elves reach maturity around 100 years of age and from there on they only grow wiser. She is already THOUSANDS years old when the action in this show takes place therefor 2nd age Galadriel would be more similar to 3rg age Galadriel rather than not. 

She has always represented the ultimate symbol of grace and femininity, deemed the fairest of all Noldor and at the same time one of the strongest elves on Middle Earth because of her MAGIC, as that's how she involved in battle. The only way she would be seen as a warrior would be as a powerful sorceress and not a freaking berserker. And that's why the show version stands against everything the character represents; because they couldn't grasp the idea that such character could make for a powerful and strong female lead, so they threw a sword and armor her way and made her go commando in order to be perceived as such. 

This is by far the biggest travesty around this show. It's fine if you like this reimagination of the character but do not try to gaslight others into thinking this is by any means accurate to the source material. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/09/04/the-rings-of-power-haters-are-wrong-tolkiens-galadriel-was-always-a-warrior/?sh=6215e0d2762d

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• SpankGangsta

• Feanor

16 minutes ago, harwee said:

The fact that you even quoted me with this embarassing article shows how little knowledge you all have of the matter.

Not only are are all quotes mentioned there about the same event (which happened right before the 1st age of Middle earth :rip: ) but it happened in a very atypical moment in history. This is about the first kinslaying in which the Noldor (Galadriel's kin) SLAUGHETRED the Teleri (her mother's kin) to take their ships to sail to Middle Earth. Even though she was part of the Noldor rebellion, Galadriel did not agree with the kin slaying and is said to have fought to defend the Teleri, which were severly under-armed in comparison, so she most likely helped some escape. Nowhere it is said she took a sword and armour and started killing fellow Noldor (which she then re-joined to go to Middle earth anyway). 

Apart from her involvement in this event, Galadriel is not mentioned as having fought or taken part in any other major battle or military engagement throughout the entire First Age (which lasted 500+ years) or the Second Age which lasted 3500 years. She was not an Amazonian Xena: Warrior Princess figure, and Tolkien never wrote her as such; regardless of how hard leftist media tries to claim otherwise. 

Come back to me when you have a reference from Tolkien's writings to Galadriel wrestling a balrog or whipping out her named sword every 5 minutes.

58 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

The fact that you even quoted me with this embarassing article shows how little knowledge you all have of the matter.

Not only are are all quotes mentioned there about the same event (which happened right before the 1st age of Middle earth :rip: ) but it happened in a very atypical moment in history. This is about the first kinslaying in which the Noldor (Galadriel's kin) SLAUGHETRED the Teleri (her mother's kin) to take their ships to sail to Middle Earth. Even though she was part of the Noldor rebellion, Galadriel did not agree with the kin slaying and is said to have fought to defend the Teleri, which were severly under-armed in comparison, so she most likely helped some escape. Nowhere it is said she took a sword and armour and started killing fellow Noldor (which she then re-joined to go to Middle earth anyway). 

Apart from her involvement in this event, Galadriel is not mentioned as having fought or taken part in any other major battle or military engagement throughout the entire First Age (which lasted 500+ years) or the Second Age which lasted 3500 years. She was not an Amazonian Xena: Warrior Princess figure, and Tolkien never wrote her as such; regardless of how hard leftist media tries to claim otherwise. 

Come back to me when you have a reference from Tolkien's writings to Galadriel wrestling a balrog or whipping out her named sword every 5 minutes.

First off, you need a chill pill. I mean "leftist media"? You seem passionate about the politics of the show, good for you I guess.

Anyway, I quoted you because, to me, it doesn't matter. It is not that huge a leap for her to be wielding a sword because there are instances, per the link showed you, where she is described as a warrior, stuff you disapprove of in your prior post, which is what I'm replying to.

There are no such references of many events in the story because the entire series doesn’t exist in the books. It is mostly re-interpration of various characters and events from tolkien’s appendixes. I thought that was clear from the get-go.

So you going through an inventory of scenes that doesn't exist in the books is a bit weird to me.

Personally I’m not into that level of pedantry on a fantasy story at that. 

The backlash coming from the same parrots who repeat "Woke" at anything they dont like is just going to give a hard time to real criticism of the show to be taken seriously.

• ATRL Moderator

I really don't understand the divisive reaction. Like, I get not liking it but it's far from being outright bad. I've thoroughly enjoyed these two episodes and already have a massive crush on Elrond and Arondir :wanda:

I can't believe some people (not many) actually liked this. We're two episodes in and all it's offered so far is diversity.

I still don't even know what the show is about, which isn't a good look for the scriptwriters.

Stunning scenery, but this was expected from a production of this magnitude. I miss when they just used New Zealand for their movie sets. It felt like you could actually visit the Middle Earth. These over-the-top landscapes look too videogames.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:05 AM, Starkboy said:

If anything the fact Elrond looks completely different from the original actor bothers me lol

Yeah I was completely baffled as to if that was supposed to be the same character :rip: 

11 hours ago, Cz! said:

I can't believe some people (not many) actually liked this. We're two episodes in and all it's offered so far is diversity.

I still don't even know what the show is about, which isn't a good look for the scriptwriters.

Stunning scenery, but this was expected from a production of this magnitude. I miss when they just used New Zealand for their movie sets. It felt like you could actually visit the Middle Earth. These over-the-top landscapes look too videogames.

the first 10 minutes already told you that and the title of the series did it too... 

On 9/5/2022 at 4:42 AM, AxelFox said:

This is by far the biggest travesty around this show. It's fine if you like this reimagination of the character but do not try to gaslight others into thinking this is by any means accurate to the source material.

Why isn’t there room for creative liberties when making a prequel spin off from a long loved book slash film series. Puritanical conformance to source material is not required to make a good TV series. Being this upset over sword wielding? That seems like minutia and nit picking to me.

That being said, I found the story telling and dialogue writing a little clunky - hopefully the story actually picks up more because it felt glacial at times. 

Edited by Massive_Teardrop

10 hours ago, Drowned8World said:

the first 10 minutes already told you that and the title of the series did it too... 

Did they? I was already dozing off then.

3 hours ago, Cz! said:

Did they? I was already dozing off then.

Your loss tbh. Maybe it's just not for you.

20 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Your loss tbh. Maybe it's just not for you.

Seems like it. I'll still give it a chance, though.

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, Cz! said:

Seems like it. I'll still give it a chance, though.

I totally get where you're coming from because I do think the first episode (while doing a lot of set up) can be interpreted as a little slow and ambiguous. I'd definitely stick with it for a couple more episodes if you can cause I really have faith things will truly pick up. I already love the series though so I have my stan glasses on I fear 

I'm not a LOTR fan and wasn't really looking forward to this, but I actually really enjoyed the first two eps!  I found Galadriel's storyline the most interesting by far, but I also enjoyed Elrond's.  And to my great shock, I actually liked the Harfoots and found them amusing.  I was expecting them to serve Marvel-esque puns and was ready to loathe them but "Have your wheels come off your cart!?" and "Great goats!" had me cackling :lmao: 

There were some great human elements: Elrond and Galadriel's friendship (even while at odds) was really nice, and Elrond winning Durin back over was sweet.  

Arondir and Bronwyn were definitely the weakest part of the show for me, they have zero chemistry (mostly due to him not emoting AT ALL).  However, the scene with him crawling through the caves and then getting grabbed from behind was gripping.  Felt just like a horror movie.  

Galadriel and Halbrand are already way more interesting as a pair than Arondir and Bronwyn.  Also the sea monster was cool.  

And of course the cinematography was stunning.  The scene with the fireflies was absolutely breathtaking.  

The best line so far is "Sometimes the same wind that seeks to blow out a fire may also cause its spread."

So, I will keep up with this for the visuals and for Galadriel, while keeping my expectations low.  The main reason I don't like LOTR is because all the characters are purely good or evil and there's no moral complexity.  Hopefully the characters here are a bit greyer.

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, Miles. said:

The best line so far is "Sometimes the same wind that seeks to blow out a fire may also cause its spread."

I also was gagged at this line. Glad someone else noticed it! WHEW 

I grew up a huge Tolkien nerd and I don't get the hate. It's not groundbreaking in terms of the story, but its visually stunning and I'm just happy to be back in the world.

LOTR trilogy films were not faithful to the books in every aspect as well and everyone loves them. I have my criticisms and reservations about this show, but the first two episodes were good, like objectively speaking the show is well made if you don't love it.

Big shout out to Ismael Cruz Córdova, who plays Arondir, he's so far the best actor for me :clap3: He had a tough job because his look goes against the traditional depiction of elves in media (he's black with short hair) and when I first saw the photos I was skeptical and thought they could've given him a wig at least, but to be honest he's a much better elf than some of the old white dudes who just look like average people with pointy ears, nothing elf-like or ethereal about them. Ismael outsold and out-acted!

Awww... :'(

The anti-woke brigade would have an absolute conniption today about Arwen replacing Glorfindel in FotR and having her whole warrior 'If you want him, come and claim him moment'. Unlike warrior Galadriel, that did directly go against her role in the lore where she is a passive, beautiful maiden with barely any development.

But there was no right-wing outrage machine back then. I just find these people so ******* insufferable and I hate seeing their rhetoric spilling over into this thread.

Nevermind the fact that gender politics are literally at the centre of House of the Dragon, but the incels seem to be accepting that show because there hasn't been a massive, calculated outrage campaign against it and also because they can't hide behind 'author intention' :skull: 

14 hours ago, John Slayne said:

I grew up a huge Tolkien nerd and I don't get the hate. It's not groundbreaking in terms of the story, but its visually stunning and I'm just happy to be back in the world.

People just like to be mad at something, hate everything and complain without any reason.

I totally get why this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, it can be slow, poetic and contemplative in some parts but this is why Tolkien's fantasy is such a different breed. :heart: It's definitely not for everyone.

But this is also why I'm so on board with this show so far even though it has it's flaws, because it captures that Tolkien spirit so well. If there's one show that can afford to be contemplative it's this one, especially with the sheer magnitude of the budget. It's really a TREAT to look at every shot and frame but also take the time to listen to a 7 minutes conversation between Elrond and Galadriel.

I mean for example The Fellowship of the Ring book is slow as ****, there's like 200 pages of hobbits description and what-not before it gets anywhere exciting, but once it gets goin it's so worth it.

KMw8.gif

3 hours ago, BNF91 said:

This track is so f***ing good :jamming:

One of the best theme I've ever heard in a tv show. When I first heard the soundtrack I was blown away, it's so new for middle-earth but it makes sense.

And I think you might be onto something about Nùmenor for episode 3 because I could hear a hint of that track at the end of episode 2 with Galadriel on the raft, I didn't notice it on first viewing.

20 hours ago, Hector said:

Awww... :'(

This is so sad. The fact it had come to this ... the state of the world we live in I swear.

I was following some of the cast members before the show started and I was already feelin uneasy about some posts by Sophia Nomvete (Disa) who was talkin about struggling with mental health a few months ago ever since her casting was revealed; and I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hate she's receiving daily now. It makes me sick.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.