The Rings of Power | Amazon | Season 2 begins August 29 | Teaser Out | LotR Prequel

Eóghan

8 hours ago, Gaia said:

No no I think you misunderstood. I mean the engagement has been extremely low for such a big franchise. 45k likes on a trailer for such a big budget show? That's not a good sign. 200k likes and 200k dislikes would be different. But it doesn't seem like the interest is there at all.

Seems like there was 25 million of interest. :clap3:

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• SpankGangsta

• Feanor

8 hours ago, PaloSanto said:

Yes Galadriel yes ratings

Galadriel is not in this show.

Obviously everyone turned in for daddy Gil-Galad :clap3: 

8 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Huh? Yes she is. :rip:

I think that user is being facetious because they don't like the portrayal of Galadriel :skull:

9 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Huh? Yes she is. :rip:

I'm keeping a positive outlook on this show because I do enjoy it for what it is but that is the one thing I cannot look past. 

That is NOT Galadriel. 

7 minutes ago, Harrier said:

I think that user is being facetious because they don't like the portrayal of Galadriel :skull:

I don't mind the portrayal per se, I think the actress is doing good with the role she was given. I just can't associate the direction the show runners took her in with the actual character cause they are total opposites.  

1 minute ago, AxelFox said:

I'm keeping a positive outlook on this show because I do enjoy it for what it is but that is the one thing I cannot look past. 

That is NOT Galadriel. 

I don't mind the portrayal per se, I think the actress is doing good with the role she was given. I just can't associate the direction the show runners took her in with the actual character cause they are total opposites.  

That's fair. I rewatched the Fellowship of the Ring last night with my flat mate (as it had been years since I watched the LOTR films) and the character is very different.

5 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

That's fair. I rewatched the Fellowship of the Ring last night with my flat mate (as it had been years since I watched the LOTR films) and the character is very different.

Well I suppose the idea is that since this takes place literally 4000 years before her Fellowship appearance & before she has her ring Nenya, there's plenty of time for her to change. Maybe they'll show how the ring changes her in this series.

Tolkein did describe her in her earlier days this way:

She was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats

So while I do agree it's a bit jarring I don't necessarily think it's lore inaccurate.

Well I suppose the idea is that since this takes place literally 4000 years before her Fellowship appearance & before she has her ring Nenya, there's plenty of time for her to change. Maybe they'll show how the ring changes her in this series.

Tolkein did describe her in her earlier days this way:

So while I do agree it's a bit jarring I don't necessarily think it's lore inaccurate.

I'm excited to see her grow. I've never read the books, so I'm not hugely knowledgable about the lore etc. I'm enjoying the series so far and I think Morfydd is doing a great job.

The episodes are so beautiful. I love everything so far 

The thing is that Tolkien retconned Galadriel's character multiple times in different writings, so it's difficult to pinpoint a true version of her character. I think what they're trying to do here is combine everything they could find about her and trying to make it an homogeneous character arc that will end up to where she is in the LOTR trilogy.

Also can we talk about Galadriel's theme, it's been on loop for me since I saw the first episode :jonny5:

I was just thinking about one of the scenes when she's first talking to Elrond with the statues in the back where she's saying the "you have not seen what I have seen". That's where my favorite rendition of her theme came in because it goes into a close up shot of her face and her theme is played so quietly on a solo harp. As far as I was aware that was the first time they played it with just a solo instrument, the music was just solely on this one single instrument and it was so personal. This is just 1 example because her theme is played through the first episode like in a million times in different instruments.  I'm so curious about everything that Bear McCreary did because he's been dropping hints on twitter about how much symbolisms he put into it.

Just kind of seems like it's reflecting the turmoil inside of her and how she's kind of shifting. Because even if you just think about that first episode when she's forced to sail off into the West and it's in total contrast with the trilogy when she finally come to terms with goin West after frodo offered her the ring. She says: "I Will Diminish, and Go Into The West, and Remain Galadriel". She's got a really big circle to connect around and it just felt like having her theme on so many different instruments was kind of reflecting that journey that she's going through. I'm ready to stan for the journey.

1 hour ago, Harrier said:

1 hour ago, MrLovett said:

I'm excited to see her grow. I've never read the books, so I'm not hugely knowledgable about the lore etc. I'm enjoying the series so far and I think Morfydd is doing a great job.

Obviously she's goin to dip at some point and come to term with her brother's death and let others do the hunting of Sauron. She has yet to meet her husband Celeborn that we see in the movies (the showrunner confirmed he'll be introduced in the next few seasons).

We don't see her in the "war of the last alliance" either, we only see Elrond, Gil Galad, Elendil and Isildur in the prologue of the movie. 

i enjoyed the 2nd ep cuz of that one creature and elrond scenes with the dwarves but the characters are so boring and lackluster i can't get interested in any of them :rip: i get going for more unknown actors for a show like this but the casting is still pretty bad especially the elves, why are they all ugly? even the current day orlando bloom and liv tyler are prettier than the elves in this

• ATRL Moderator

Elrond is :wanda:

1st episode was stunning visually but the pacing was kinda too slow, however 2nd episode was such a slay after a slay.  :jonny5: 

Not the dwarves and harfoots eating everyone up tho.

The way I'm usually the biggest elf-stan ever but they flopped the styling/casting so hard that I kinda want to see more of the other races instead :skull:

The parts with the hobbits & dwarves are so whimsical and fun

The way I'm usually the biggest elf-stan ever but they flopped the styling/casting so hard that I kinda want to see more of the other races instead :skull:

Hopefully they take the feedback regarding elven looks. I agree with you. Trolling/incel comments aside. I do think the costumes and hair designs for the elves needs more work and are fair criticism of the show. Jeff bezos apprently is a huge fan of the lord of the rings so hopefully he makes his crew change the styling a bit. I think they are too polish. 

Edited by Happylittlepunk

The Galadriel discourse is just proof people have been forcing the hate and bad reviews. Makes absolutely zero sense to compare the two Galadriels since they are literally thousands of years a part AND a ring, which if the trolls had actually paid attention to the movies, they would know changes people. The funniest part is that this Galadriel is actually a very accurate going by Tolkien letters.

At least the hate train didn’t work

21 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Hopefully they take the feedback regarding elven looks. I agree with you. Trolling/incel comments aside. I do think the costumes and hair designs for the elves needs more work and are fair criticism of the show. Jeff bezos apprently is a huge fan of the lord of the rings so hopefully he makes his crew change the styling a bit. I think they are too polish. 

Yeah from what I've seen on reddit and such, I think even among people like us that like the show, the negative feedback about the elves is pretty widespread.

They can't change much with the main characters, but next season, I hope they take the feedback on board with the background characters and hire some younger actors and give them appropriate wigs and such.

For me acceptable styling is: Galadriel, Gil-Galad, Arondir

Poor: Celebrimbor, Elrond, Galadriel's warriors, Finrod, Arondir's warriors, elf children

The show is also so far lacking a truly great elf portrayal like Lee Pace, Liv Tyler, Cate or Orlando Bloom. Even Evangeline Lily was amazing. PJ really nailed the casting

1 hour ago, Harrier said:

Honestly in middle earth what would you be realistically? Elf, man, dwarf or hobbit.

Edited by Happylittlepunk

The male elves not having long hair has kinda grown on me tbh. I think it looks good on Elrond and it suits Celebrimbor well given that he's a smith.

Finrod's short hair did not look nice at all though. :priceless:

i agree with all the elf criticism of the show

like how can you make the elves the ugliest most uninteresting race in a show about the second age :biblio: i swear if they make annatar some ugly middle-aged dude too

If anything the fact Elrond looks completely different from the original actor bothers me lol

2 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

The Galadriel discourse is just proof people have been forcing the hate and bad reviews. Makes absolutely zero sense to compare the two Galadriels since they are literally thousands of years a part AND a ring, which if the trolls had actually paid attention to the movies, they would know changes people. The funniest part is that this Galadriel is actually a very accurate going by Tolkien letters.

At least the hate train didn’t work

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. 

Galadriel has never, not once, been described as a sword-wielding, armor wearing, physical combat solider in ANY of Tolkien's writings that we know of. 

The only thing that could allude to anything of the sorts would be her being described as very tall and athletic in her formative years in one of his late letters; which most likely is a reference to her imposing stature more than anything. Elves reach maturity around 100 years of age and from there on they only grow wiser. She is already THOUSANDS years old when the action in this show takes place therefor 2nd age Galadriel would be more similar to 3rg age Galadriel rather than not. 

She has always represented the ultimate symbol of grace and femininity, deemed the fairest of all Noldor and at the same time one of the strongest elves on Middle Earth because of her MAGIC, as that's how she involved in battle. The only way she would be seen as a warrior would be as a powerful sorceress and not a freaking berserker. And that's why the show version stands against everything the character represents; because they couldn't grasp the idea that such character could make for a powerful and strong female lead, so they threw a sword and armor her way and made her go commando in order to be perceived as such. 

This is by far the biggest travesty around this show. It's fine if you like this reimagination of the character but do not try to gaslight others into thinking this is by any means accurate to the source material. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.