Heartstopper | Season 3 releasing in October

Gossip_Boy

this is very charming and serves what it is supposed to serve. so happy they got renewed for 2 more seasons.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• publikcitizen

• Bloo

• Lovett

• Gui Blackout

this show is so cute

1 hour ago, X~MoviePoP said:

ok..so i gave the show a chance..im on ep 4....yah...that kiss episode for episode 3 had me giddy...but..i still hate corny teeny sh*t. i prefer more adult realistic stuff like euphoria or sex education

I promise you most 15-year-olds are more like Heartstopper than they are Euphoria. :skull:

Also, these are not adults. The characters are all 15-16 with actors who, at most, range 2 years older.

Edited by Communion

32 minutes ago, Communion said:

I promise you most 15-year-olds are more like Heartstopper than they are Euphoria. :skull:

Also, these are not adults. The characters are all 15-16 with actors who, at most, range 2 years older.

Uhh yah no, i had a convo with my 16 year old neighbor and he described what is definitely much more r rated than heartstopper, highschool is much more like degrassi/euphoria than it is heartstopper. Also, i never said they where adults, i said i prefer more adult content such as euphoria or sex education as i dont like corny/cutesy tv stuff typically.

• ATRL Moderator
8 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Uhh yah no, i had a convo with my 16 year old neighbor and he described what is definitely much more r rated than heartstopper, highschool is much more like degrassi/euphoria than it is heartstopper. Also, i never said they where adults, i said i prefer more adult content such as euphoria or sex education as i dont like corny/cutesy tv stuff typically.

I never even got a kiss in high school. Let alone film sex tapes, be a cam boy, sell drugs, use bitcoin to get money for distribution of CP, and all the other ridiculous stuff that happens on Euphoria. :rip:  

I understand Euphoria being more your kind of show because it is a gritty show (with amazing cinematography and darker themes). But arguing that a story about teenagers hanging out with each other and having crushes is “unrealistic” will never not be odd to me. 

35 minutes ago, Communion said:

Exactly. No one I knew was doing the stuff they do in Euphoria in high school :deadbanana2:

22 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I never even got a kiss in high school. Let alone film sex tapes, be a cam boy, sell drugs, use bitcoin to get money for distribution of CP, and all the other ridiculous stuff that happens on Euphoria. :rip:  

I understand Euphoria being more your kind of show because it is a gritty show (with amazing cinematography and darker themes). But arguing that a story about teenagers hanging out with each other and having crushes is “unrealistic” will never not be odd to me. 

Euphoria stuff isnt ridiculous. Many highschools have the sameeee exact storylines that you think are crazy or ridiculous. The amount of pregnancies during my highschool years or even the guys getting head under the stair wells or the druggies by the bridges. It really depends where you're from and the type of teens at your school.

But from my experience and the 16 year olds i know, heartstopper isnt as relatable as degrassi/euphoria or sex education. 

Running in the rain to kiss a guy and the random corny stuff in heartstopper is the unrealistic aspects that just dont match what teens fully go through. Mind you, heartstopper has moments that are real. But not as real for me like i said. To each their own.

Edited by X~MoviePoP

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Euphoria stuff isnt ridiculous. Many highschools have the sameeee exact storylines that you think are crazy or ridiculous. The amount of pregnancies during my highschool years or even the guys getting head under the stair wells or the druggies by the bridges. It really depends where you're from and the type of teens at your school.

But from my experience and the 16 year olds i know, heartstopper isnt as relatable as degrassi/euphoria or sex education. 

There were plenty of teen pregnancies in my high school. Not once did I mention that as unrealistic (we actually kept a tally in my high school and it was well into the double digits by the time we graduated). But you’re gonna be hard pressed to convince me that underaged youth sexually performing for perverts on the Internet to receive bitcoin is more commonplace than teenagers hanging out and drinking milkshakes. 

Also, all the people saying the “unrealistic” allegations make no sense have also been in high school or are currently in it as well. Many people have lowkey and plain high school experiences. Are there people doing drugs and what not in the background? Yes. No one’s denying that. But to say that’s the vast majority is false, especially when drug use and alcohol use among high school students is on a downward trend (while vaping goes up).

22 minutes ago, Bloo said:

There were plenty of teen pregnancies in my high school. Not once did I mention that as unrealistic (we actually kept a tally in my high school and it was well into the double digits by the time we graduated). But you’re gonna be hard pressed to convince me that underaged youth sexually performing for perverts on the Internet to receive bitcoin is more commonplace than teenagers hanging out and drinking milkshakes. 

Also, all the people saying the “unrealistic” allegations make no sense have also been in high school or are currently in it as well. Many people have lowkey and plain high school experiences. Are there people doing drugs and what not in the background? Yes. No one’s denying that. But to say that’s the vast majority is false, especially when drug use and alcohol use among high school students is on a downward trend (while vaping goes up).

For me, like i said. And for many others. Heartstopper isnt as realistic as euphoria. It can be for you. Or for whoever else. You can have your own opinion just as i have mine. As i said above, heartstopper has its realism moments.

But also like I said, it depends on where your from, the type of people at your school, ect. Some schools just arent as cookie cutter cute as heartstopper tbh.

Edited by X~MoviePoP

4 hours ago, Lord Gaga said:

Yeah the comics are online for free. The other content comes from her novels and novellas of which there is solitaire a book about Tori, this winter which is just a cute short story and Nick and Charlie which should be read after you're caught up with the comics.

Oh ok thanks :hug:

4 hours ago, L.B GAGA said:

Ive been so busy at work but got the time to watch it at last. I just have an issue with the show not representing masculine gay men. I guess kit is bi but everyone knows most bi guys are masculine but str8t folks believe masculine gay men are just bi and gay masc men are a myth.

Hope with time they introduce a masculine gay character to bury the stereotypical trope and for representation as they equally discover themselves a bit later in time due to pressure from society mixed with their masculinity. 

Wouldn’t that be Ben? He seems masc? Lol

10 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

Ben is definitely bisexual also. There is no gay masc guy in the show at all. Its problematic

Edited by L.B GAGA

4 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

Ben is definitely bisexual also. There is no gay masc guy in the show at all. Its problematic

Hmm idk about that 

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

Ben’s dropped in the comics by the end of where the series is left off (we don’t know if he’ll return for the series though). But I didn’t get the impression he was bisexual at all. The “bisexuals are cheaters cause one partner can’t satisfy them” trope is very… dated and Alice has seemed to go out of her way to avoid tropes. I got the impression that he felt more like a closeted gay teen who had a girlfriend to cover his sexuality.

17 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

Then again Nick may come out as gay later.  As there is majority bi representation in the show. 

a show serving L and G and B and T and A, and we're complaining about there being "two" bi people? 

:gaygacat7:

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

Ben’s dropped in the comics by the end of where the series is left off (we don’t know if he’ll return for the series though). But I didn’t get the impression he was bisexual at all. The “bisexuals are cheaters cause one partner can’t satisfy them” trope is very… dated and Alice has seemed to go out of her way to avoid tropes. I got the impression that he felt more like a closeted gay teen who had a girlfriend to cover his sexuality.

I dont think the trope bit may fit in. As even bi guys at times face the same fears and its not on not being satisfied, they may feel the pressure to go beyond to hide.  So Ben would equally represent being Bi. 

Ben is definitely bisexual. If you have the book, they have these character pages at the end, and it's explicitly said he's bisexual.

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

Then again Nick may come out as gay later.  As there is majority bi representation in the show. 

No. Nick is bi. This doesn’t change and it’s established canon confirmed by Alice. 

8 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

I dont think the trope bit may fit in. As even bi guys at times face the same fears and its not on not being satisfied, they may feel the pressure to go beyond to hide.  So Ben would equally represent being Bi. 

Well, there’s no confirmation for how Ben identifies because he’s not a significant character. We just see him struggling with his sexual orientation and that’s it. But, there is a biphobic stigma that bi people are prone to cheat because they’re attracted to more than one gender so one partner can’t satisfy them. Ben cheating on his girlfriend with Charlie is basically a visual representation of that harmful stereotype if Ben were bi. Which is maybe why it’s never confirmed one way or the other. 

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, TheDreamer said:

Ben is definitely bisexual. If you have the book, they have these character pages at the end, and it's explicitly said he's bisexual.

Where? This is his profile from the book. 

Vol-3-Character-Profiles-3.webp

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

No. Nick is bi. This doesn’t change and it’s established canon confirmed by Alice. 

Well, there’s no confirmation for how Ben identifies because he’s not a significant character. We just see him struggling with his sexual orientation and that’s it. But, there is a biphobic stigma that bi people are prone to cheat because they’re attracted to more than one gender so one partner can’t satisfy them. Ben cheating on his girlfriend with Charlie is basically a visual representation of that harmful stereotype if Ben were bi. Which is maybe why it’s never confirmed one way or the other. 

It makes sense on the Ben bit. I love everything about the show and the balance of the lesbians being both masc and fem. Even the bi guys are both masc and fem which is done beautifully. I think its important they balance out they gay side as we have no masc guy. We need representation for guys like Matt Bomer, Anderson Coopers, Andy Cohen or a Neil Patrick Harris. 

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Where? This is his profile from the book. 

Vol-3-Character-Profiles-3.webp

I don't have the book atm but i remember well they have all their sexuality and Hogwarts house in there, so that is missing something

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

It makes sense on the Ben bit. I love everything about the show and the balance of the lesbians being both masc and fem. Even the bi guys are both masc and fem which is done beautifully. I think its important they balance out they gay side as we have no masc guy. We need representation for guys like Matt Bomer, Anderson Coopers, Andy Cohen or a Neil Patrick Harris. 

Not to be rude, but I don’t see how any of the men you listed are that distinctly more masculine than Charlie Spring would be as a grown up. I don’t really see Charlie as being that pointedly feminine honestly. He just seems like a young kid to me that’s sensitive and shy. I don’t necessarily think that makes him more feminine than masculine. But there are films with very masculine gay men in shows like Queer As Folk, Broke Back Mountain, etc. No single piece of queer media can represent everyone. So is every gay person going to identify with Charlie? Of course not. But that’s true for any piece of media. Which is why we need more queer media in general. I don’t think it’s fair to expect any single queer series to represent everyone. Let’s just be thankful the characters they have are well-represented, especially Elle and Nick.

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Not to be rude, but I don’t see how any of the men you listed are that distinctly more masculine than Charlie Spring would be as a grown up. I don’t really see Charlie as being that pointedly feminine honestly. He just seems like a young kid to me that’s sensitive and shy. I don’t necessarily think that makes him more feminine than masculine. But there are films with very masculine gay men in shows like Queer As Folk, Broke Back Mountain, etc. No single piece of queer media can represent everyone. So is every gay person going to identify with Charlie? Of course not. But that’s true for any piece of media. Which is why we need more queer media in general. I don’t think it’s fair to expect any single queer series to represent everyone. Let’s just be thankful the characters they have are well-represented, especially Elle and Nick.

Charlie is the weird trope. He is the hollywood stereotype which is fine but in glee recall the football guy that used to bully Kurt. He was the masculine, famous kinda guy. That representation matters here as Hollywood has constantly in the mainstream tried to erase that kind of character being gay. If he was bi like in the 80's it was acceptable but not gay.

It would be nice for a teen BL western film to showcase the kind of struggles a Rock Hudson would face. The perfect macho guy in highschool but everyone cant accept he can be gay. 

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

Charlie is the weird trope. He is the hollywood stereotype which is fine but in glee recall the football guy that used to bully Kurt.

This is where we’re going to have to agree to disagree. Charlie doesn’t come off as a stereotype to me. He’s just a young boy. He plays drums. He’s “especially” good at math (which is unfortunately seen as a subject for boys). He’s a fast runner. And he was willing to join the Rugby team. He likes horror movies and doesn’t get scared by them. He doesn’t have interest in musicals. He’s not that notably fashionable. He has curly, unkempt hair that isn’t notably styled. Etc. He just seems like a standard teenage boy. Not super feminine, not super masculine. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.