RuPaul's Drag Race | Meet the Queens of All Stars 9! | Premieres 17 May

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

• Replies 40.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• satellites.™

Of all drag queens in the world Dua chooses her...

So disappointed.

Edited by Shinning
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

naysha's drag might be busted but I agree with her. drag race is and has been about drag queens. Rupaul is a drag queen. 

Give them their own platform instead of adding them to the show where they will be used as tokens to futher agendas of personal gain. And I also agree with how they will be biases against them since they show has always only judged drag queens :michael:

Plus this will just give these queens more leeway to be boy-chested and rock out with chapsticks and concealer and call it drag :rip:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CroNich said:

Dragula showcases all types of drag performers on their program, and it works.

Does it really, though?

:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Any person using Victoria Scone to prove a point already lost

:suburban:

Now we said it.. one of the worst looks ever.. the nasty leg hair 🤢

I don't think a drag king would work on the show simply because Rupaul would not be a good person to judge them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Anvarie said:

I agree with Naysha. How are we getting to that point that casting women to replace gay men = diversity and inclusion? Create a separate show, give them their own platform, which gives everyone more opportunity to showcase their drag than having 1-2 token drag kings for diversity points 

Casting women to replace gay men dressing up as women is a crazy thing to say. A lot of them don't bring anything of substance either way. 

I wouldn't mind a token drag king.. like Tenderoni, who I think would kill the show. Drag is a very diverse field and we should be seeing every facet of it on the biggest stage in the world.

9 minutes ago, DevonRoars said:

Drag is a very diverse field and we should be seeing every facet of it on the biggest stage in the world.

WoW and Rupaul don't owe us **** though. It's their money and their brand. If they can't stand drag kings then so be it. Why do we (using we loosely) feel so entitled to what a tv program should consist of? If the lack of representation turns you off so much then stop watching. Forcing agendas for the sake of inclusivity is such an insane thing to do for a freaking tv show that's supposed to be silly and fun.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

The theme song literally says, "May the best drag queen win" :laugh:

Inclusivity politics has—unfortunately, imo—become rooted in vacuous critiques of absence; why didn't that movie about a group of friends have a gay character? why doesn't that drag queen show have drag kings? why does that YA novel about queer teens not have a trans character?

Well, because no one piece of media is capable of representing the entire range of human positionalities. Furthermore, no writer/creator is suited to create every diverse character in a respectful, nuanced manner.

Instead of arguing for more inclusion in a single piece of media, we should be advocating for new content that represents that community. I think it would be great for WOW to work on a drag king show, with people from that actual community as creators, judges, etc. But shoehorning them onto Drag Race is not respectful to their craft; it would be shallow representation if not tokenism.

Perfectly put :clap3:

I'd also argue that a drag queen judging and critiquing drag kings does more harm to the art form than good. Yes it's drag, but queens and kings approach in very different and specific ways.

• Like 3

I honestly don't really care either way but a lot of people are going through  mental gymnastics to come up with reasons why kings SHOULDNT be on the show lol. With DR's format, having kings would absolutely be fine

design challenges - doesn't matter

comedy challenges - doesn't matter 

Rusical - doesn't matter 

acting challenges - they'd have to write a “male" role 

I do think having a dedicated show for kings would be the best outcome but that's not happening anytime soon. I think we'll get a king at some point on a main season tbh (even if it's after Ru steps down or on Intl seasons first)

• Like 4

Also I may be ignorant on the matter but in terms of looks, drag kings are so limited in what they can present because mens fashion in general is so much more restricting than ladies. Seems like there's only really one silhouette a king would ever be able to serve on the runway :skull:

I'm happy to be proven wrong if anyone can share examples of kings serving creative looks! 

1 hour ago, dumbsparce said:

WoW and Rupaul don't owe us **** though. It's their money and their brand. If they can't stand drag kings then so be it. Why do we (using we loosely) feel so entitled to what a tv program should consist of? If the lack of representation turns you off so much then stop watching. Forcing agendas for the sake of inclusivity is such an insane thing to do for a freaking tv show that's supposed to be silly and fun.

I actually totally agree with you on all of this - but we also have shows like Survivor with people like Jeff Probst at the helm and the entire premise of the show has been stripped to be as PC and inclusive as possible. He's refusing to cast ‘villians' and the show has became a shell of its former self. Idk but I fear that when Ru retires, drag race itself may look very different 

• Like 1

waiT, are there actually non-Asian people who got offended that an Asian Nymphia did an Asian "accent"? :rip::rip::rip::rip:

• Like 2

the thing is we are perceiving drag queen and drag king as two opposites while in reality drag queen and king have many overlaps. there're so many kind of drag king just like with drag queen. 

some really could gag yall with their glam king looks, some could turn 

we should give them chance to shine and let the world know about drag king. we need to bring them to light in order to let them shine and flourish.

also you know damn well that there's no bigger platform than drag race and it wouldn't hurt drag race at all. they could tweak something to make it works and it won't be a big difference at all.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lana Banana said:

waiT, are there actually non-Asian people who got offended that an Asian Nymphia did an Asian "accent"? :rip::rip::rip::rip:

i think more than 90 percent of them are non-asian but perhaps they wouldn't say that they were offended but they were uncomfortable. 

also i see that most agree drag kings should be given more spotlight on them but be real for once if you want idk who to create a show for them then how likely would that take off? and how much would it uplift their community? 

drag race do have spots for them and it might not be the perfect scenario for drag king but imagine the amount of exposure they would get from being on the show. it would keep their art flourish and we could have much more fresh drag in the show.

Drag kings now being given a platform or any platform are in a lose-lose situation.

Any success or lack thereof is now going to be compared to Drag Race, whether on the platform or off. Then narratives are going to be spun about drag kings generally from that result which won't be fair.

This is part of a broader conversation, but approval from WOW producers and RuPaul generally should not, and has not ever been the benchmark. But the cultural takeover is so extensive that that inevitably becomes part of the conversation.

Dragula didn't give a damn because the Boulet Brothers inherent brand of their drag is to not give a damn about any comparisons. And it works for that show.

This, however, is an entirely different hornet's nest.

Naysha's fallout won't be as big due to Big Dipper's controversy and the Shangela scandal timing.

The elephant in the room is that inherent to the desire for drag kings to be on drag race is the fear that they would not have as successful of a show on their own. People have to be willing to have that conversation. The realities of showbiz are butting up hard against the desire for greater drag king visibility.

I agree with Naysha, including the wider implications of her comments.

Drag kings deserve their own platform without being shoehorned by the expectations of WOW producers and RuPaul. They can rise and fall on their own merits.

14 hours ago, KFC said:

I too am confused as to how Shangela's career keeps respawning. If I recall correctly, the allegation from the ATRL member were posted years ago. Funny how Soju and Sherry were deplatformed by their peers almost immediately but yet Shangela seems uncancellable

DJ's lawyered up, that's why.

Everyone here's welcome to join the scandal megathread bumped by the admins in Celebria on the Rolling Stone story or continue here I guess.

5 hours ago, Shinning said:

Of all drag queens in the world Dua chooses her...

So disappointed.

honestly a good fit for Dua. 

• Haha 1

The general fanbase on twitter and previous contestant's (like, such as, Broke Stynnk Shytes) consensus on wanting to see more VictoriOLD sCRONEs and less Nina BoLEGENDs on Drag Race is just awful, I HATE IT HERE!

monique.gif?w=645

Edited by GotMyBlueprint
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, KFC said:

I too am confused as to how Shangela's career keeps respawning. If I recall correctly, the allegation from the ATRL member were posted years ago. Funny how Soju and Sherry were deplatformed by their peers almost immediately but yet Shangela seems uncancellable

Well, using just critical thinking skills, Shangela is way more famous and popular than both of them? They didnt have career to begin with?

Shangela has always been well known and had good networking skills, I mean she single handedly got everyone on the Xmas special a raise on her own.

This is not going to blow up for a few reasons:

1. Shangela is drag race famous, not regular famous, no one knows her so the mass public has no interest in cancelling someone they don't know.

2. Like previously mentioned, this is not new, check her insta and all her posts WITH Ru girls since then, they don't care or believe the victims.

3. There are moving parts we either don't know or won't know until this goes to court... if it does.

Drag race gets about 500k viewers on average and the community itself is smaller, she can really only be held accountable by the community first and foremost.

Shea is so…

Curious how people think these accusations compare with those against Sharon Needles.  I feel like everyone was so quick to cancel Sharon off mainly one person's story. 

5 minutes ago, Anvarie said:

Shea is so…

Always taking it to such an extreme as a form of argument makes me totally invalidate anything you have to say in the future. Shea has always been like this and I can't take her seriously.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.