RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Meeting in the Ladies Room

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

Yeah honestly All Stars lost its edge after AS3 as much as it’s fun to see some of the early outs come back.

I think they should’ve (and still should) rebrand it as RuPaul’s Drag Race: Rudemption and then have Global All Stars as an actual all stars season every few years with the biggest stars of the show. 

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Also the way S14 gave 50k to the runner-up but nothing was given this season because the top 4 (that could have been a top 3) is just so goddamn undeserving. (that's the reason in my hateful mind :fan:)

Unless the top 2 was Sasha VS Mistress the second place should NOT get 50k. :clap3:

S14 managed to have an appropriate top 5 because each queens performed too well to be kicked out of the finale.

S14 > S15

daya-betty-crawling-drag-race-season-14-

Ajskksks not when the entire top 4 of S15 STOMP on S14’s :skull:  

S14’s frontrunner being Willow….whose reign is nonexistent and is easily the most untalented winner of the entire franchise 

spacer.png

if S15’s top 4 “could have been a top 3” then S14 should have been a top 0. 

Moving All Stars to Paramount+ has done irreparable damage to the show imo 

i don't mind all stars not having ONLY queens who were top 5 or miss congenialities like as1/2, and i think as3/4 had good inclusions for the most part with its earlier out choices - milk, gia, monique, and jasmine, while mediocre/poor performers in their OG seasons, WERE either fan faves, or were iconic within the mythos of the show. those queens ARE all stars in my books, and absolutely deserve an invitation. it's more when they either stuntcast for drama (india, farrah, morgan), or go for girls who barely made dents in their OG seasons (scarlet, mariah, blair), or go for girls who will play nice to get that WOW payola (kylie, mayhem), that i get bothered.

and i agree with @Alejandrawrrr's point 100%, its def more profitable for WOW to try to build the roster of popular rugirls by featuring them in diff projects (like 9/10 of the girls in the s11 premiere mini challenge have been on all stars since :skull:), and i understand that sometimes, they just CANT get the girls that ppl are clamoring for, but it never WON'T seem forced for them to shove a girl in your face saying "LOOK LOOK SHES AN ALL STAR" when she absolutely wasn't memorable on or off her original season :deadbanana4:

last note: all stars being an annual thing, double casting girls other than those who were on as1, and making casts/seasons larger than 10 queens and 8-9 eps have also kinda made the all stars seasons not as good :rip:

3 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

One fault this season is that you really couldn’t tell who was close at all :deadbanana2:

I would never be able to tell that Loosey and Sasha thinking about a podcast together

thee two stars of Season 15 yup :clap3:

1 hour ago, Rotunda said:

Moving All Stars to Paramount+ has done irreparable damage to the show imo 

i agree. the girls barely get any followers

its definitely not worth it for the gurls 

2 hours ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Also the way S14 gave 50k to the runner-up but nothing was given this season because the top 4 (that could have been a top 3) is just so goddamn undeserving. (that's the reason in my hateful mind :fan:)

Unless the top 2 was Sasha VS Mistress the second place should NOT get 50k. :clap3:

S14 managed to have an appropriate top 5 because each queens performed too well to be kicked out of the finale.

S14 > S15

daya-betty-crawling-drag-race-season-14-

The only person in the entire Season BOREteen cast that compares to the Holy Quadrinity is Jasmine Legendie. Crystal M.'s understudy, Angina Paris, Texas VanAshyankles, Invisiblow Shill, (looks) Eighty Hagsden and even my babe Bosco just CAN'T hold a candle to the S15 top 4, it's not even remotely close.

That being said, Bosco's post-surgery glow is immaculate. A top 5 most beautiful Ru girl of all time now I fear. She won in the end. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrO2t-zuPqt/

• ATRL Moderator

I agree that it's good to have some girls in an AS cast who didn't place high in their OG seasons since plenty of them have a lot more to show.

But it is kind of awkward to call it "All Stars" instead of "Second Chances" or something :fan:

3 hours ago, Relampago. said:

I actually like the mix of early outs/finalists on All Stars. Sometimes people were truly done dirty and really do deserve a chance to come back (Rajah for example) while others have elevated their drag quite a bit and have far more to offer now (Kylie). 

I also like it because it gives us a chance to see some of these girls again, and even if they flop, they usually provide needed padding for eliminations so the girls who are slaying can escape the bottom here and there (aka they needed someone to go home first!!) My issue with AS2 (and AS1 to an extent) is that with such a strong cast, it causes some girls that I wanted to see more of to get the boot early (Coco/Tatianna comes to mind).

That kind of sucks especially because having a cast made up of queens who slayed one season doesn’t always mean every challenge is gonna be a slay too. So idk. It’s really about the cast dynamic more than anything, that’s what makes it breaks a season.

:clap3:

42 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

But it is kind of awkward to call it "All Stars" instead of "Second Chances" or something :fan:

:fan: 

I agree with some that it is becoming a low-key redemption season. Increase the prize or give a hefty budget to book bigger girls. :gaycat6: 

And I wonder if GAS will cast AS girls tho, would be lowkey unfair to other countries. 

1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

I agree that it's good to have some girls in an AS cast who didn't place high in their OG seasons since plenty of them have a lot more to show.

It really is all stars because its the stars who appeared on the show. 🙄 Otherwise we could just take legends who never appeared on drag race and send them straight to AS (i.e sasha colby).

One of the issues i have with a lot of people’s interpretations of what all stars should be and who should be allowed on all stars is that it gives no girls a chance for glowup, a chance to continue the story line etc. Also you guys contradict yourselves a lot, i.e yall say Irene and Poppy should be welcomed back to all stars and then look at the posts on this thread. 

IMO, if you actually watch drag race to see drag and see how the girls evolve and show off their art, then who cares about who comes back to AS, etc. Its a reality tv show where the producers are editing a story line around the girls. Just because producers at the time decided that certain girls were not important enough to give anything (prime example, Alyssa Hunter being eliminated because she was the next person production wanted to go home, Rajah being bottom and eliminated on the farm to runway) does not mean those queens arent stars and cant make an impact.

Its like you guys on one side of your mouth get upset for production rigging wins/storylines, then get content with the rigged wins/storylines for who should be allowed to come back. Make it make sense.

AS6 cast wasn't anything to wow at but I enjoyed it more than AS5. It just felt like a throwaway season to crow Shea. Half of the cast being from the OG seasons, then a couple early outs from S10, and Miz Cracker. :rip: A mess. Especially coming after AS4 which had a star studded cast.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf

• I've honestly never watched AS1 in full so can't speak on it.
  • AS2 is the absolute peak of Drag Race for any season of any drag race franchise. this season pretty much birthed the show as we know it today now.
  • AS3 is overall a really good season of Drag Race, but the clear frontrunner quitting (Ben) & the horrible jury finale really do kind of cast a shadow on this season that you can't help but think about while watching. Very much felt engineered to give Trixie a crown - Trixie has grown on me a lot post-AS3 though. Love her & Katya. The Bitchelor is my favorite acting challenge of all time.
  • AS4 is the third best behind AS2 & As7: great queens, great drama, great runways, great challenges, love both winners of Trinity & Monet, & Manila's elimination is iconic lol.
  • AS5 is ROUGH. Besides the Top 3 & Alexis, I was really underwhelmed by the rest of the girls.  Very few memorable moments.
  • AS6 is somewhere in the middle - it turned out better than I expected. When I read spoilers before the season, I thought it was gonna be a HOT mess, but it was actually really fun to watch. I wish Rajah had won - she had the greatest comeback in drag race herstory.
  • I LOVE AS7 and don't think it was boring at all - while AS2 is the overall peak of drag race, as far as quality goes, this will be an unbeatable season of Drag Race. Incredible challenge performances & runways from all the girls - this was a fan of drag's orgasm.

AS2 > AS7 > AS4 > AS3 > AS6 > AS5 > AS1

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, karron0624 said:

It really is all stars because its the stars who appeared on the show. 🙄 Otherwise we could just take legends who never appeared on drag race and send them straight to AS (i.e sasha colby).

One of the issues i have with a lot of people’s interpretations of what all stars should be and who should be allowed on all stars is that it gives no girls a chance for glowup, a chance to continue the story line etc. Also you guys contradict yourselves a lot, i.e yall say Irene and Poppy should be welcomed back to all stars and then look at the posts on this thread. 

IMO, if you actually watch drag race to see drag and see how the girls evolve and show off their art, then who cares about who comes back to AS, etc. Its a reality tv show where the producers are editing a story line around the girls. Just because producers at the time decided that certain girls were not important enough to give anything (prime example, Alyssa Hunter being eliminated because she was the next person production wanted to go home, Rajah being bottom and eliminated on the farm to runway) does not mean those queens arent stars and cant make an impact.

Its like you guys on one side of your mouth get upset for production rigging wins/storylines, then get content with the rigged wins/storylines for who should be allowed to come back. Make it make sense.

Who is this "you guys" you speak of? I just said I like having competitors on who didn't get far in their season :redface:

But anyway, the title IS still a little bit of a misnomer if you follow reality tv and the tradition of "all stars" spin-offs. Drag Race is certainly not the only show to use this format, and yes, it is expected for any All Stars spin-off to showcase the top talent from the shows base seasons. That's just common sense. And that's why AS 1 and 2 literally just had a case of... all stars. It's clear that having the AS seasons so often means they have to bring on girls who might have star potential but were not "stars" on their season. The idea that "star" refers to any contestant from the main series is wild. Kalorie is not a reality TV "star" because she was on two episodes of a television show.

I agree that DR doesn't need to have that model for their All Stars spin-off, but I can still acknowledge it's kind of a misnomer at the same time.

Quick reminder that 

AS2 > AS6 > AS7 > AS4 > AS3 > AS1 > AS5

All Stars 6 produced so many great moments and lip syncs like I am not surprised at the few people who don't enjoy this season because they serve tasteless opinions on a daily basis here

Edited by D.Va

AS has lost all its meaning imo, the reason AS2 was monumental is because it was all the fan faves and controversial figures such as Phi Phi

Like that was what AS used to be all about, casting queens that the fans wanted to win their actual season so that they could have another shot at winning. Partly because it felt ‘wrong’ that Alaska wasn’t a winner for example 

No one wants to see Princess Poppy compete for the crown again just because they needed girls to fill up the annual cast 

AS2 was so amazing with how it restored viability of the all stars franchise that was otherwise dead after all stars 1. It's horrifying how quickly AS3 squandered all that hype and immediately made the franchise regress again

Such a bad cast. Set the precedent of casting fillers/contestants that didn't even have challenge wins on their season.

Thorgy aja milk and Morgan were such awful casting choices. Trixie was not an all star either by any means but the unnhhh payola was too strong. Her run was so abominable. 

Chichi and Kennedy should have been spread out on other seasons, they were archetypally redundant. 

Main points about this video:

- Mistress is going on a "drag family" mini tour with Malaysia, Sugar & Spice, says she was very proud of everything she presented and doesn’t regret a thing

- Luxx is very well spoken when asked about politics. Her favorite winner is Alaska. 

- Anetra… does a funny voice!

- Sasha is just incredible handling interviews, gives a masterclass on how to touch serious topics with a light heart

- Willow would NOT do All Winners if asked, but says her biggest competition would be Bob

- Sasha Velour would do All Winners only if Sasha Colby won and they could make an alliance (well, guess what mimi)

AS8 cast reveal should be coming today, right?! :duca:

3 hours ago, genetic fail said:

AS8 cast reveal should be coming today, right?! :duca:

11AM EST

7 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Who is this "you guys" you speak of? I just said I like having competitors on who didn't get far in their season :redface:

But anyway, the title IS still a little bit of a misnomer if you follow reality tv and the tradition of "all stars" spin-offs. Drag Race is certainly not the only show to use this format, and yes, it is expected for any All Stars spin-off to showcase the top talent from the shows base seasons. That's just common sense. And that's why AS 1 and 2 literally just had a case of... all stars. It's clear that having the AS seasons so often means they have to bring on girls who might have star potential but were not "stars" on their season. The idea that "star" refers to any contestant from the main series is wild. Kalorie is not a reality TV "star" because she was on two episodes of a television show.

I agree that DR doesn't need to have that model for their All Stars spin-off, but I can still acknowledge it's kind of a misnomer at the same time.

So my first paragraph addressed you and then the rest addressed a majority of comments on the past two pages and not necessarily directed at you.

But yes, i understand the other models. But in the other models, winners can come back and compete and no one blinks an eye. Early outs can continuously auddition for more regular seasons and get on subsequent seasons. However, with drag race other than three contestants its a one or done deal, and the fanbasr goes into an uproar with a winner wanting to compete again unless its a winner season. So we can’t apply the same all stars format of otger series to this one imo.

• ATRL Moderator
28 minutes ago, karron0624 said:

and the fanbasr goes into an uproar with a winner wanting to compete again unless its a winner season. 

Were the fans mad @ Bebe on AS3? I don't remember seeing any uproar, but I'm only on Twitter. I personally was so excited when she came out :smitten:

4 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

Were the fans mad @ Bebe on AS3? I don't remember seeing any uproar, but I'm only on Twitter. I personally was so excited when she came out :smitten:

Yes. At first they were excited because they thought she was a “mole.” And then as the episodes aired and that didnt pan out, everyone got mad at her for going back when she already had a crown. She did an interview about it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.