• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

10 hours ago, Espresso said:

I find it odd that my country mandates masks on buses and subways but not planes. 

I suspect that either...

(1) the government doesn't want to lose the business of tourists who hate wearing masks or

(2) forsee that fights may break out between the cabin crew and anti-masking flyers

8 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

I find it odd that my country mandates masks on buses and subways but not planes. 

I suspect that either...

(1) the government doesn't want to lose the business of tourists who hate wearing masks or

(2) forsee that fights may break out between the cabin crew and anti-masking flyers

Well to be fair, masks won't really help you on a plane unless everyone is wearing N95, which is impossible:

Scientific evidence shows that mask-wearing is effective at limiting  community transmission; claims that face masks increase mortality are based  on flawed correlation studies - Health Feedback

Unless you're on an extremely short flight, if you get placed close to someone with Covid, even if both of you are wearing surgical masks it only takes 1 hour to transmit it. Placing a mandate won't stop transmission, and would only put more mistrust into those implementing it. Either way, I'd rather just get Covid again than have to wear a mask on a long flight. 

4 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

Idk if this means they'll declare it an epidemic but I'm curious to see what they have to say 

2 hours ago, Luner45 said:

Idk if this means they'll declare it an epidemic but I'm curious to see what they have to say 

My suspicion is that the rest of the panel will try to do that, but Tedros will overrule. I know the majority of the world has moved on (or never bothered) after the first 6 months, but with XBB 1.5 appearing, I guess it will have to wait. Maybe 2024?

I suppose only mpox will be declared not an emergency.

23 minutes ago, Genius1111 said:

My suspicion is that the rest of the panel will try to do that, but Tedros will overrule. I know the majority of the world has moved on (or never bothered) after the first 6 months, but with XBB 1.5 appearing, I guess it will have to wait. Maybe 2024?

I suppose only mpox will be declared not an emergency.

The rate of third-world vaccination is still abysmal. This absolutely shouldn't given that front alone. 

If there's solid progress of even first shots by late next year I'm obviously no expert but that'd make more sense depending on variants.

There does need to be faster development on that front but that's unfortunately being turned to the private sector.

7 hours ago, flower moon said:

i think i finally caught this :deadbanana4: head/body aches, sore throat, fatigue.
gunna test later today.

I hope you get better soon!

7 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

Meanwhile, the WHO is urging people to wear masks on planes because of XBB 1.5.

I don't think I'm ever not wearing masks on planes again.

I would always catch something after cross-country flights pre-Covid and I'm really good about washing hands and avoiding people in general.

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

I haven't read any of these articles yet but am I correct in assuming that the price hikes for the vaccines will end up harming those in developing countries who cannot afford them?

And thus delaying global vaccination progress and prolonging the pandemic?  

14 minutes ago, Luner45 said:

I haven't read any of these articles yet but am I correct in assuming that the price hikes for the vaccines will end up harming those in developing countries who cannot afford them?

And thus delaying global vaccination progress and prolonging the pandemic?  

China tried to get a price reduction for Paxlovid and failed, so I'm going to safely assume the same applies to the vaccines outside the Europe and the U.S. I've read rumors of price adjustments for Africa but my cynicism remains for obvious reasons.

Not my manager reminding my entire company that there is no longer an isolation requirement :rip:

Bloomberg News: China has not updated its COVID tally in 3 days, and China's CDC did not answer their calls

---

Very hard to believe an Asian country actually stopped the count, but here we are.

5 hours ago, Espresso said:

China tried to get a price reduction for Paxlovid and failed, so I'm going to safely assume the same applies to the vaccines outside the Europe and the U.S. I've read rumors of price adjustments for Africa but my cynicism remains for obvious reasons.

I suppose a lot of countries (rich and poor) will start to 

(1) not urge vaccinations, or at least delay the next booster

(2) not offer them for free

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.