HDD FINAL: ADELE 284k, Taylor 102k

ALA

5 hours ago, gatito said:

why is it so hard to understand that these numbers are disappointing and underwhelming for ADELE :celestial5: no matter how hard some of y'all try to spin it

why because people are comparing folklore to evermore which is a difference fof 6 months while 26 to 30 is a gap of 6 years and between the digital to streaming age cause streaming was not that big when 25 was out as it was post 2018

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• georgechxng

• Gaia

• Virtual_Insanity

1 minute ago, Insanity said:

why because people are comparing folklore to evermore which is a difference fof 6 months while 26 to 30 is a gap of 6 years and between the digital to streaming age cause streaming was not that big when 25 was out as it was post 2018

and Adele still had the biggest debut week of 2021

the biggest 2nd week since 2016

and its underwhelming?  lol 

11 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

Excuses after excuses from the OAH :lmao:

OAH are embarrasing

16 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

Excuses after excuses from the OAH :lmao:

I would have loved to have seen Folklores numbers operating under the same rules as Adele because her first week was boosted a LOT. 

Leaving this here for anyone who needs a refresher !! Seems like some Swifties are being forgetful ! 

During the album’s first week, Swift’s webstore sold over a dozen physical/digital album bundles (with a CD, vinyl LP or cassette, plus the digital album). All of the physical/digital bundles delivered the digital version of the album upon purchase to the customer, while the physical version will ship to the customer later. Sales of such bundles — where two formats of the same album are bundled together — are counted as one sale, with the album configuration sold determined by the first version of the album that is fulfilled to the customer.

Swift’s store additionally sold an array of merchandise/digital album bundles.

Via billboard.com

https://www.billboard.com/pro/taylor-swift-folklore-billboard-200-number-1/

5 hours ago, georgechxng said:

Not solid, amazing. The only female abum to +200k on its 2nd week in the last 4 years. Thoughts?

Comparing Adele to other female artists doesn’t say much about her decline :toofunny2:

Shes obviously going to sell more than her female peers because it’s always been the case, but she’s still selling dramatically less than ever. 

4 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I would have loved to have seen Folklores numbers operating under the same rules as Adele because her first week was boosted a LOT. 

Leaving this here for anyone who needs a refresher !! Seems like some Swifties are being forgetful ! 

Via billboard.com

"Swift’s webstore sold over a dozen physical/digital album bundles (with a CD, vinyl LP or cassette, plus the digital album). All of the physical/digital bundles delivered the digital version of the album upon purchase to the customer" :rip:

I looked and apparently it says there was like 16 different bundles on the website:rip:

And they have the nerves to come for Adele's numbers:ahh:

1 minute ago, PopFan1996 said:

"Swift’s webstore sold over a dozen physical/digital album bundles (with a CD, vinyl LP or cassette, plus the digital album). All of the physical/digital bundles delivered the digital version of the album upon purchase to the customer" :rip:

I looked and apparently it says there was like 16 different bundles on the website:rip:

Bundle GaLOR

4 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Comparing Adele to other female artists doesn’t say much about her decline :toofunny2:

Shes obviously going to sell more than her female peers because it’s always been the case, but she’s still selling dramatically less than ever. 

Ok her decline is still better than the others. 

If only they tried harder during the release week than being silent 

Not to mention the one less tracking day since stores closed during Thanksgiving

still her worst is better than other’s best

7 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

There were at least 20. 8 CDS, 8 vinyl and cassettes. 

Not to mention all the merch, which was also bundled with a digital copy of the album.

Both of these practices have since been banned ! 

The way they tried to conveniently sweep this under the rug when the Billboard report can be found with ONE CLICK :coffee2:

A 9 year old album opened with 605k but sure, a brand new album of Taylor’s could have only opened with 840k because of bundles :lmao: 

1 hour ago, Daniiel said:

Forgot to quote on my last pose, oops. 

Id say less than that tbh. It has the advantage of pre Thanksgiving and black Fridays retail store foot traffic; when everyone and their grandma is shopping for the festivities. There's a reason why 25 and 30 where released during the same season, its the spending season. Taylor used to release in the time frame too, to take advantage of store traffic.

I wonder if Lover & Folklore would cross 1m if released during a festive season. She was only 150k away..

7 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

A 9 year old album opened with 605k but sure, a brand new album of Taylor’s could have only opened with 840k because of bundles :lmao: 

the re-recording excuse is such a self drag when you take into consideration that redtv managed to more streams and create more hype than folklore on its first week :deadbanana2:y'all need to do better, that isn't the flex you think it is.

29 minutes ago, Gaia said:

You can literally google how Black Friday is not nearly as relevant or impactful as it used to be with deals spread out for months now and a large portion of buyers now shopping online and using Amazon.

"While Black Friday has a strong hold on Americans’ imaginations as a day of crazed shopping, it has lost stature over the last decade as stores opened on Thanksgiving and shopping shifted to Amazon and other online retailers. Stores diluted the day’s importance further by advertising Black Friday sales on more and more days."

"Overall consumer traffic was slow, Pressman said, and there were few to little doorbusters at major retailers."

"

The day after Thanksgiving is really losing its relevance with shoppers. Gone are the days of waiting in line at 5 am.. for a doorbuster. Consumers have increasingly turned to the internet shop on Black Friday itself. The online version of Black Friday was already taking hold prior to the pandemic. In 2019, shoppers spent more than $600 billion online. That was up nearly 15% from the previous year, according to the Commerce Department."

All I see are people trying to convince themselves its still 2008 and millions of people are rushing to retail stores on black friday when that simply isn't true. I was literally at Target on Black Friday for my regular groceries and it wasn't any busier than average. I do all of my holiday shopping online via Amazon or online stores as most people do in 2021. This faux "im shocked its only did this much on black friday!@#!" is tired

Oh absolutely, im aware that black Friday is nowhere what is once was. But you reiterated my point.

30 was stacked in the stores we actually frequent, even to buy groceries, like Target and Walmart. You can't go buy toilet paper or milk at Target without seeing 30 stacked somewhere. It being able to only pull 200k physicals where it was plentifullly stocked in the right stores, in the best time  is underwhelming. 

Not a flop, far to it actually. Just underwhelming. 

~~~~~

Its streams, though....

SOS

1 hour ago, Aram said:

Disappointment for who?

Do you think this result will actually affect something in Adele's career or her label? :rip:

Um literally yes, and yes..... :rip:

4 minutes ago, georgechxng said:

the re-recording excuse is such a self drag when you take into consideration that redtv managed to more streams and create more hype than folklore on its first week :deadbanana2:y'all need to do better, that isn't the flex you think it is.

This doesn’t make any sense? RedTV can have more streams but also sell less as an already 7x platinum album. Like what ballpark do you think her next brand new album is going to open with

51 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

They shipped 1.3-1.5M physical sales for the whole era. This will sell  half of it in just 2-3 weeks. How is that disappointing? :skull:

I want a logical answer not some invalid excuses

Your logical answer is that the 1.5 million was what her label made sure was in stock for the first week. Unless that billboard article states that that was indeed the final printing and shipping of 30?? Genuine question, though.

But that seems highly unlikely, that they only meant to sell 1.5 million copies ever in the US when 25 managed to sell 9 million. If 30 had actually met expectations, it would have been forever sold out by week 3. A label, passing on on money from sales because they didn't want to make more?? Make it make sense.

Didnt that same article explicitly state her label was expecting over a million? 

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Via billboard.com

Same!! Would have loved to see an unstaggering amount of Folklore CD stands in Target and Walmart just like 30. But as you of course know, folklore and evermore were both surprise albums and didn't have physical copies in stores in their first or even Second weeks :rip:

the website bundles only half made up for it not being physically available in stores. 30 had no bundles but it had physicals,, folklore was reversed. So no, you would have not liked seeing folklore under the same situation or rules.

50 minutes ago, Brando said:

I wonder if Lover & Folklore would cross 1m if released during a festive season. She was only 150k away..

Lover, idk.  Probably not, she went all out and still wasn't able to cross that line. Maybe with better singles she would have done it on any week. The fact she got to 800k with Me!th as lead is mind blowing.

Folklore, maybe and probably so if it had physicals in stores. Or maybe not, because you don't know how much the 'surprise' factor aided, or didnt, at all. 

1 hour ago, georgechxng said:

literally. Red TV's numbers were highly impressive for sure, but to think a brand new Taylor album instead of RedTV would open at 850k+ is :rip: just insane

4 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

literally. Red TV's numbers were highly impressive for sure, but to think a brand new Taylor album instead of RedTV would open at 850k+ is :rip: just insane

RED TV wasn't in stores and had way too few vinyls ready for shipping compared to demand, I don't think even Taylor's label was expecting this kind of demand :dies:

we'll see with TS10 her real selling power post bundles

2 minutes ago, dylanx said:

RED TV wasn't in stores and had way too few vinyls ready for shipping compared to demand, I don't think even Taylor's label was expecting this kind of demand :dies:

we'll see with TS10 her real selling power post bundles

so the 110k vinyls sold out in the first week?

1 hour ago, Redstreak said:

It was released like two weeks ago and contains 30 brand new, never heard before recordings. Even I took a listen to the new version of her best song stay stay stay to see if it was worth saving. It wasn’t,  but I still contributed to her numbers. 

5 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

so the 110k vinyls sold out in the first week?

That's all they could ship for the debut week - if you go to her website to order one it says they now ship in January :skull: either they underestimated her demand for vinyls or Adele pressing 500k vinyls also meant Red TV would be supply constrained

27 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

It was released like two weeks ago and contains 30 brand new, never heard before recordings. Even I took a listen to the new version of her best song stay stay stay to see if it was worth saving. It wasn’t,  but I still contributed to her numbers. 

Gonna paint my house a different color and call it brand new :celestial3:

15 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Gonna paint my house a different color and call it brand new :celestial3:

Will you be adding additional rooms to your home? Other wise it’s not comparable. 
OT: Adele slaying as per usual - worldwide in fact! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.