HDD: Adele 833k (biggest debut of the year), Taylor 165k

Starkboy

15 minutes ago, Gaia said:

The weirdos are Taylor fans that acknowledge that her sales are more fandom driven than GP driven, but still acting like she's on par with Adele who is entirely GP driven. 

The reason Adele's sales are so impressive even "cLosE to TaYloR!!@#" is because those are sales from people genuinely interested in her music solely due to music. They're not in the stanworld. They don't care about inflating stats. No one is out there buying 5 copies of Adele albums to increase her numbers :toofunny2:

Taylor is clearly one of the most dominant forces is music. That is undeniable. But in terms of GP power and impact, she is not close to Adele. 

But we will have to agree to disagree. I do not consider fanbase inflated album sales or stats in general to be any sort of indication of "industry power." BTS is no way had a popular album with the GP last year and Butter was in no way the most popular song of the Summer despite those inflated digital download sales from their website that kept it #1 on the Hot 100 over Good 4 U. 

When fans are obviously inflating sales, it diminishes the impact. Taylor fans are starting to sound a lot like BTS stans and treating her fandom driven stats are public interest. She has not had a genuine hit with the public in years. 

Yeah I agree with all this. Taylor has the numbers but her albums dont feel that big in the real world cos you know her stans are buying ten copies each, or but another signed copy everytime she releases a new batch. The majority of Adeles pure sales are all unique buyers - ultimately far more people are actually buying her music. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brando

• Headlock

• georgechxng

• wastedpotential

Why are "Adele fans" pressured because she has similar (or less) numbers in SEA to Folklore or Lover? They are both the biggest artist right now ... You can't deny that. 

51 minutes ago, Pleeny said:

Trying to remember if Britney and actina fans were this petty 

Taylor and Adele are diamond certified/ double diamond eligible certified artists who dominated their eras...Britney did this but she'd need another peer comparable so no.

But Adele vs Taylor petty is very articulate and high brow I might add. 

It is petty but hasn't devolved into the point of no return.

It's like watching two besties fight over a dude they both had but need to prove they can still snatch em up. It's ego and pride driven...but in a good way.

Legends faves hashing it out.

35 minutes ago, Folklore89sm said:

I think something that has come against Adele this era is that people aren't used to her singing about her life on a personal level and have been left a bit alienated by her new album filled with songs that are so specific to her own situation. The magic key to Adele's success was that she wrote simple - but great - songs about love and heartbreak on a very superficial, surface level. There were no specifics in her lyrics, no voice notes or explicit references to her own life. Everyone could listen to an Adele song and digest it easily and apply it to their own lives - only because it was so unspecific and broad. That's what gave her the cross-generation appeal she has.

That's not it at all...

2 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Yeah I agree with all this. Taylor has the numbers but her albums dont feel that big in the real world cos you know her stans are buying ten copies each, or but another signed copy everytime she releases a new batch. The majority of Adeles pure sales are all unique buyers - ultimately far more people are actually buying her music. 

Pure sales are dead anyways. Streaming era say hello.

And 30's numbers (SEA) are very similar (or less) to folklore or Lover. It's not hard to accept.

9 minutes ago, FAN said:

What I don’t understand is why are the Adele fans so offended by the thought of Taylor being as popular as her? Taylor is an incredibly successful and critically acclaimed artist who started before so many successful artists and has outlasted them with a remarkable career. 

And just so we’re clear, August 2020 was the same market as today, if not worse because that was the height of the pandemic and we’re now in Black Friday week. The reality is, 30, with the most played song in the country (now even being spammed on country radio), with a huge TV/Oprah special and big playlisting on streaming will open with the identical numbers of folklore. This is NOT a drag, just the truth. So what is there to argue about? 

Taylor had 16 editions of Folklore and 16 songs counting for streaming. 

Adele has 1 edition and 12 songs counting for streaming. 

There is an obvious difference. 

10 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

No it isnt just like a deluxe version. It is a completely re recorded and released never before released version of the album. So it is not a re release, hence it is charting and counting a a completely seperate entity, which was the whole point of her re recording it in the first place.  And she promoted it like a brand new album. These re recording have had two years of constant hype. 

I thought you said the re-recordings shouldn't count as a separate entity, since they were just "remixes", what changed? :lakitu:

1 minute ago, JC96 said:

Pure sales are dead anyways. Streaming era say hello.

And 30's numbers (SEA) are very similar (or less) to folklore or Lover. It's not hard to accept.

Not if your name is Adele. 

1 minute ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Pure sales are DEAD it's 2021. GP doesn't care

Streaming:

Debut Spotify 

30 - 60M (60/12 tracks=5M)

Folklore - 80M (80/16 tracks =5M)

The fighting in here becomes borderline comical, I did not realize you folks love math so much

Aaaaaaaaactually KatyKat, is you're counting different color editions for Folklore, Adele has multiple editions too: a white LP, a clear LP, and standard black LP.

Not Adele pulling these shady tactics too :isudumblmao:

Not if your name is Adele. 

Lol why she can't sell 1M pure in first week then?

Pure sales are dead. She used to sell 1M in one day. 

1 minute ago, JC96 said:

Pure sales are DEAD it's 2021. GP doesn't care

Streaming:

Debut Spotify 

30 - 60M (60/12 tracks=5M)

Folklore - 80M (80/16 tracks =5M)

Adele is just about to sell over 600k in pure sales so no they arent dead. 

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

Aaaaaaaaactually KatyKat, is you're counting different color editions for Folklore, Adele has multiple editions too: a white LP, a clear LP, and standard black LP.

Sure cos 2 different vinyls is the same as the 16 different covers Taylor served for Folklore in week one while later having five other coloured vinyls to further bump sales, not to mention the five or six times she dropped signed copies. Give it up. 

1 minute ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Adele is just about to sell over 600k in pure sales so no they arent dead. 

She used to sell 600k in 12 hours. So yeah, they are dead :rip:

It's the streaming era and her SEA numbers are even less to folklore or Lover :deadbanana2: 

Just now, Headlock said:

Lmao. Also the iTunes version, walmart exclusive and target exclusive. and then deluxe version from walmart and then deluxe from target plus standard version CD (acting obtuse here, just like the ones trying folklore). That's already 9 versions. Very shady!

Not dragging Adele because we know she only has standard and deluxe versions but some Kats just love trying it. :rip:

Virtual_Insanity is basically a delulu trolling at this point. Don’t give attention

On 11/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, Machete said:

Then: "EOM debut proved there's immense anticipation for Adele on streaming. +100M is in the bag."

Later on: "Adele isn't a streaming artist. Her base buys in pure. +1.5M is still locked"

Now: "SWIFTIES!!!!!"

giphy.gif

Idk what’s so hard to grasp. 

People steamed Easy on Me because it was the only way to listen to the track, but now people own the physical copies (500k in the US alone might I add) they’re listening to their physical copies :rip: 

Adele is actually converting people who streamed Easy on Me into buying the album over streaming it, no one else has that power right now, Taylor doesn’t even come close. 

59 minutes ago, Gaia said:

They're not on the same level. Y'all need to stop. People buying Adele albums aren't going out and buying 2-3 copies each. Taylor's album sales are incredibly inflated in the same way Kpop albums are. She actively encourages fans to buy multiple albums. Adele does not. 

Again, Adele just released her first album in 6 years, and has almost 10M more monthly listeners on Spotify. Taylor has released 6 albums since Adele's last. One of them being last week that apparently "smashed" so why are her Spotify listeners so low? :dies:

Even Dua Lipa has almost 70M monthly listeners. Taylor is turning into a fandom driven artist who occasionally gets a hit. When you account for the amount of people actually listening to her music, it's nowhere near the top. But she does know how to engage her fanbase and make money off them so good for her.

Aren’t y’all in this thread talking about people buying the album as a stocking stuffer? Isn’t that not buying multiple copies?

5 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Sure cos 2 different vinyls is the same as the 16 different covers Taylor served for Folklore in week one while later having five other coloured vinyls to further bump sales, not to mention the five or six times she dropped signed copies. Give it up. 

This is fully a lie lmao :deadbanana4:

I also forgot to mention Adele's CD box set and her cassette, in addition to the standard CD, oh and the Target exclusive deluxe edition. How fraudulent of her! :jonny:

On 11/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, dylanx said:

what are they gonna do with those 1.5m physical albums they produced :skull:

I bet this is why they had those aggressive discounts already at that Barnes and Noble :deadbanana4:

The Barnes and Noble were for everyone including Red so…? You’re one of the people Barnes and Noble called out for being illiterate :giraffe:

And I know some people are used to their fave selling the bulk of their albums in the first week, but when you’re the music industry you actually sell it over several weeks and months. That stock will be sold before Christmas. :nicole:

Just so we’re clear. Virtual Insanity is a Katy Cat and Gaia is an Ariana stan :skull: so you guys don’t think you’re arguing with actual Adele fans. 

4 minutes ago, Headlock said:

This is fully a lie lmao :deadbanana4:

I also forgot to mention Adele's CD box set and her cassette, in addition to the standard CD, oh and the Target exclusive deluxe edition. How fraudulent of her! :jonny:

Adele is doing the same as what everyone else is doing to sell their album. Not a thing more or less. Everyone offers on cassette, vinyl and a deluxe as standard.

Taylor, however, literally used every tactic available to her and STOPPED only when they didn’t count for Billboard. 

If it wasn’t an attempt to get fans to buy multiple copies why did she stop the second billboard made them ineligible? :gaycat6: 

Questions with known answers, wbk. 

But tbh, if your fan base is willing to buy multiple copies I don’t see the issue myself. Taylor has a huge hold on her fan base who are super loyal, I don’t see the issue. 

But Taylor made her intentions clear when she gave it all up after Billboard changed their rules. 

Adele isn’t doing anything more than what is standard. 

Edited by gloamingtheplain

3 minutes ago, Toxicity. said:

Just so we’re clear. Virtual Insanity is a Katy Cat and Gaia is an Ariana stan :skull: so you guys don’t think you’re arguing with actual Adele fans. 

:jonny:

9 minutes ago, JC96 said:

Lol Katy cats acting like Adele fans... So pathetic ...:dies:

This high school mentality as if people can’t like multiple artists. Grow up :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.